F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > My (New To Me) F31 330d Touring is dead
GetBMWParts

06-19-2020, 11:43 AM   #23
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328d

The issue is that the dealer is unlikely to allow you to disassemble the HPFP if there is any remote chance of getting warranty/goodwill coverage. Usually BMW likes to get them untouched for failure analysis.

Grenading pump likely contaminated fuel injectors upstream and some shaving returned to the fuel tank. So besides HPFP replacement, most likely injectors will have to be replaced, tank dropped and drained, all lines flushed, etc. That is why these "prevention plates" seem to make sense for these types of failures. That would drop the cost from $9000 to $900. A worthwhile investment, however I am still unconvinced if these plates will create an issue elsewhere as we're introducing another variable into the equation.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2020, 04:10 AM   #24
Cyruskint
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 LCI 330d; 2002 Z3 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene89us View Post
There are multiple threads with people's HPFP failing. I know they redesigned Bosch pump and upgraded the roller to 12mm (from 10mm on older models) - I don't quite remember which year that was when the update took effect. This greatly beefed up the part that is typically involved in generating metal shavings when it fails due to lack of lubricity caused by contaminated fuel. There are bypass kits made for a slightly different Bosch HPFP for truck diesels, and there was a member on this forum that has designed a bypass kit so that should the roller fail, it would not contaminate components upstream (instead being routed back to return line via another filter). But with beefed up HPFP, the likelihood of failure has dropped significantly. I hope BMW comes to your help and assist covering the repair - even if a partial help.
Thanks; interesting about the roller issue. I felt certain I hadn't been the only one.
The Dealer representative did say: "It may well have been the previous owner" to which I had to point-out that my contract was with ********, not with the prev owner (whoever that might have been)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 02:35 PM   #25
Cyruskint
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene89us View Post
The issue is that the dealer is unlikely to allow you to disassemble the HPFP if there is any remote chance of getting warranty/goodwill coverage. Usually BMW likes to get them untouched for failure analysis.

Grenading pump likely contaminated fuel injectors upstream and some shaving returned to the fuel tank. So besides HPFP replacement, most likely injectors will have to be replaced, tank dropped and drained, all lines flushed, etc. That is why these "prevention plates" seem to make sense for these types of failures. That would drop the cost from $9000 to $900. A worthwhile investment, however I am still unconvinced if these plates will create an issue elsewhere as we're introducing another variable into the equation.
I have told my local Dealer that I require them to retain the pump and it's contents as evidence (they are still insisting the swarf came from the fuel tank; I am confident that it is from the pump itself.
I know not why it started to fail, but then the FACT that the two pump pistons DO often rotate in the bores, thereby presenting the roller to the cam side-on is reason enough that Bosch need to redesign this pump and the car manufacturers should stop purchasing them until Bosch do so.
It came as a surprise to me that the diesel fuel enters the pump, gets used to lubricate the cam and rollers, then (in short) gets supplied to the injectors.
ANY surface coating and alloy that comes off as the pump fails is on it's way to the injectors and, on return, to the formerly clean fuel tank
It is unacceptable that the pump it replaced is far more reliable
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 11:08 AM   #26
Cyruskint
United Kingdom
Rep

UPDATE

I thought there might be others interested in knowing how things have developed............

BMW accepted that this should not be down to me and have paid for the repairs;
They returned my vehicle stating that the HPFP, all injectors, all pipework and the fuel tank have been replaced, for which I was most grateful.
It certainly seems to drive as it should

Sadly, when I went to the forecourt to collect it I found a gouge in the centre console trim and another in the silver trim around the auto gear lever (bits of black plastic and silver silver adjacent to the screwdriver-shaped gouges).
As the Dealer state they had NO reason to take the trim apart, they are now following-up with the Recovery company (fortunately called-out and booked by BMW) as they reasonably suspect that their mechanics took a screwdriver to my trim
So, a further wait to see if ****** pay for the damage
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 10:49 AM   #27
Cyruskint
United Kingdom
Rep

Overdue update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyruskint View Post
I thought there might be others interested in knowing how things have developed............

BMW accepted that this should not be down to me and have paid for the repairs;
They returned my vehicle stating that the HPFP, all injectors, all pipework and the fuel tank have been replaced, for which I was most grateful.
It certainly seems to drive as it should

Sadly, when I went to the forecourt to collect it I found a gouge in the centre console trim and another in the silver trim around the auto gear lever (bits of black plastic and silver silver adjacent to the screwdriver-shaped gouges).
As the Dealer state they had NO reason to take the trim apart, they are now following-up with the Recovery company (fortunately called-out and booked by BMW) as they reasonably suspect that their mechanics took a screwdriver to my trim
So, a further wait to see if ****** pay for the damage
I have just noticed that I failed to draw a line under this one with a final update..........

The recovery company paid to relace my gear shift surround.....right thing too, however,
I noticed whilst approaching the car from the front that there was a dent in the underside of the front spoiler on the RHS.
Closer examination revealed drag marks from the front towards the sump guard/undertray which would appear to be from dragging the car by the front towing eye, onto the recovery vehicle.
My BMW dealer (understandably) felt unable to pursue the recovery garage for this damage due to the damage not being spotted promptly when the car returned from said recovery garage. I shall live with it, but, if it ever expires on me again I shall not be leaving it alone to the attentions of recovery agents............
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 11:08 PM   #28
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Glad to hear BMW ultimately covered the failure and glad they replaced the gear shift surround.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!