F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > Winter Rims and Tires - Toronto
GetBMWParts

10-10-2017, 03:26 PM   #45
minitechnicus
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 328d xdrive , 2019 X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermile View Post
I just paid for a set of 225/45R18 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 95R XL, from Kal Tire.

Nokian and Kal Tire are having a promo, $50 off for a set of tires, plus your choice of and era NFL hat and a chance to win a trip for 2 to the super bowl.

I paid $1,160.00 after rebates, install and tax!

http://www.kaltire.com/en/promotions/tires/
Not bad ! Did your car require TPMS sensors ? I hope my 328d x drive sedan does not require them... but you never know !

Cheers,

PS. Did you return the Passat ?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 03:57 PM   #46
M2Rush
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BSM 335i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by minitechnicus View Post
Not bad ! Did your car require TPMS sensors ? I hope my 328d x drive sedan does not require them... but you never know !

Cheers,

The Canadian version uses the ABS system to watch for changes in tire rotational circumference changes to determine if a tire is low and does not require TPMS sensors. However, it doesn't monitor exact pressure nor temperature of each tire like what the TPMS can do when coded. You dont need to install TPMS unless you're planning to retrofit and code.
Appreciate 1
thug10820.50
      10-11-2017, 04:54 AM   #47
minitechnicus
Canada
Rep

Thanks for your answer M2Rush. Indirect measurement works for me, I am not planning to install sensors and retrofit.
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 06:18 AM   #48
Hypermile
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d xDrive M-S M-P

Quote:

Cheers,

Our BMWs have what's called a "Flat Tire Monitor", it monitors rotational wheel speed to determine tire inflation, much like the VW system. But with BMW, your iDrive will also tell you which tire needs to be inflated.

All documents for the Passat buyback have been submitted, just waiting on VWoC now.

Are you using any diesel additives? I have been using OptiLube summer blend (green container) since the car's first fill. Will be using OptiLube's winter blend as soon as the temp dips below -5*C.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 01:13 PM   #49
minitechnicus
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Our BMWs have what's called a "Flat Tire Monitor", it monitors rotational wheel speed to determine tire inflation, much like the VW system. But with BMW, your iDrive will also tell you which tire needs to be inflated.

All documents for the Passat buyback have been submitted, just waiting on VWoC now.

Are you using any diesel additives? I have been using OptiLube summer blend (green container) since the car's first fill. Will be using OptiLube's winter blend as soon as the temp dips below -5*C.
Thanks for your answer. My old E90 and VW did not require sensors. However in case of an air leak, I needed to measure the pressure in all 4 wheels to figure out which one got punctured. With my luck it had always been the last one !

No, I don't use any additive. I used to use Stanadyne in my VW but I did not put a drop in 328. I had read somewhere (either in car's Owner Guide or on a sticker inside fuel cap door, don't remember exactly ) that no additive is required Actually the wording sounded like a warning, "don't do it" or something similar.

In regards to fuel, BMW recommends Shell which is fine with me. Sometimes I fill up at Petro Canada only because they have a car wash and I get a discount on the wash. Maybe there is a reason why BMW recommends Shell (better lubricant ?) I took a look at this OptiLube and appears to be a good product, I am thinking about getting the winter blend

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 02:23 PM   #50
M2Rush
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BSM 335i x-drive

Quote:
Thanks for your answer. My old E90 and VW did not require sensors. However in case of an air leak, I needed to measure the pressure in all 4 wheels to figure out which one got punctured. With my luck it had always been the last one !

No, I don't use any additive. I used to use Stanadyne in my VW but I did not put a drop in 328. I had read somewhere (either in car's Owner Guide or on a sticker inside fuel cap door, don't remember exactly ) that no additive is required Actually the wording sounded like a warning, "don't do it" or something similar.

In regards to fuel, BMW recommends Shell which is fine with me. Sometimes I fill up at Petro Canada only because they have a car wash and I get a discount on the wash. Maybe there is a reason why BMW recommends Shell (better lubricant ?) I took a look at this OptiLube and appears to be a good product, I am thinking about getting the winter blend

Cheers
You need to drive for a while longer after the initial low pressure warning and it'll tell you which wheel's the culprit.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 06:29 PM   #51
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

I have a set of OEM style 270 rims with Hakkapeliittas R2s

Driven 6000 kms

Great shape

PM me if interested
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 08:35 AM   #52
thug108
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30 335 xdrive m sport

Garage List
2013 335  [0.00]
Anyone know anything about superspeed rims they are really light.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 03:29 PM   #53
autopal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i Xdrive MPPSK

Quote:
I just paid for a set of 225/45R18 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 95R XL, from Kal Tire.

Nokian and Kal Tire are having a promo, $50 off for a set of tires, plus your choice of and era NFL hat and a chance to win a trip for 2 to the super bowl.

I paid $1,160.00 after rebates, install and tax!

http://www.kaltire.com/en/promotions/tires/
I got these wheels from kaltire, with Nokian Hakka R2 225/45/18 for $2,000> Price is out the door,with taxes and installation included. What do you guys think?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 01:09 PM   #54
Poncho38
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

Well, I took the advice from the forum and checked out SimplyTire and CEO.

Nothing bad to say about SimplyTire...their responses to inquiries were spot on. However, CEO did beat out their price for the tires I wanted. Actually, CEO Tire's service was outstanding.

I'd recommend them in a heart beat.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 10:02 AM   #55
440xiGCMsport
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho38 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Rush View Post
Thanks for the input Muffinman!

I'll probably stay away from replicas, that being said, I'm basically torn between 2 setups listed below, mind you the OEM 405 would cost 400-500 more. Which would you guys choose?

OEM BMW 405M Black 18" Squared w/Pirelli® W240 Sottozero II RSC Run-flat Tires 225/45 R18 95V XL

BBS SR 18" Squared w/BlizzakWS80 or maybe even Michelin XI-3/Pirelli Sottozero 3?

Sorry if I sort of high jacked your post Poncho but I really didn't want to repost on a very similar almost identical topic.
not at all man...I'm in exactly the same boat.

I'm debating on replica BBS SR wheels or OEM 415's which I found a pretty good deal on.

Now it's just a question of what tires too.

I ran non-runflats on my Z4 years ago and what a difference they made (for the better). I just carried around a foam + compressor unit but thankfully, never had to use the foam. Actually, I still carry around that unit to this day just in case (foam is useless now though).

Anyone have opinions on GTS wheels? Or should I just get the OEM 415's?

The OEM 415's I can get for $1000 + say $1000 for tires (Blizzak WS80 or Michelin X-ice) = $2000ish

The GTS wheels - well, simply tire has packages and for either the Blizzak's or the Michelins = $2000ish.

actually, in reading this, I'm thinking of just going with the OEMs. I figure they will be easier to sell too?

Yay? Nay?
GTS wheels on my car. used them last winter. looks great and no bent rims. I have been using various reps for winter for awhile now and no problems with them. I use 18s just for a little more tire sidewall just incase I run into a big pothole.
The reps only cost about $160 so if you do bend the Rims it is cheap to replace. [IMG]undefined[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 08:20 PM   #56
Chris05STi
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive

Got these reps and run flat star rated pirelli w240s 2000$ tax in 225/45/18

Last edited by Chris05STi; 11-12-2017 at 07:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 05:01 PM   #57
Hypermile
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I’m at Kal right now getting my Nokians installed. Looks like they are booking in to Dec 8th now. And they are also out of 18” Nokians.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 06:51 PM   #58
Simply.Smooth
Rep
Drives: Black 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris05STi View Post
Got these reps and run flat star rated pirelli w240s 2000$ tax in 225/45/18

Where did you by the reps and run flats ?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 08:49 PM   #59
Chris05STi
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive

Johnston Magwood in Mississauga, I forgot these were slightly more, 2040$, I originally ordered M4 Reps but he found these which I liked more, they were like 10$ more per wheel. I dealt with Shawn
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 05:07 PM   #60
F31MSport
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 M Sport Diesel

Quote:
I’m at Kal right now getting my Nokians installed. Looks like they are booking in to Dec 8th now. And they are also out of 18” Nokians.
Kal Tire is great but it's really starting to bug me that every year the same thing happens with Nokian Tyres. Anyone looking for a set, especially after halloween, could be in for an adventure.

I've been using Nokian's on all of my cars and my wife's car since the mid/late-90's. Anyone remember Nokian Hakka 10's? There hasn't been very many times where I needed a set and there was an ample supply in stock. It's either, hey you got lucky because you got the last or second last set in this size or.... sorry you're SOL and we're completely out of stock in that size for all of Canada.

It's not even like these tires are cheap. You bend over and pay a premium if you're lucky enough to get a set or you're completely SOL.

Just imagine you get a puncture that can't be repaired late in the season. You're f*%'d because NO ONE will have these in stock. Ask me how I know.

I obviously believe Nokian makes a really good product but I just wish that they would increase their supply so that there's more than enough to go around especially since the supply shortage appears to be a chronically reoccurring issue allowed to persist for decades.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 10:29 AM   #61
Hypermile
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

^ You'll be happy to know that Nokian is opening a manf plant in the states. No more waiting on the slow boat from Europe or Russia!

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 12:43 PM   #62
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

I just went shopping at Kal Tire last Saturday and experienced the exact same thing. The current year stock is done and I said it's only early November and the guy said they only ordered so many in a season and do not want to be stuck with more than they need. Of course, in the end, he tried to sell me other brands too, to make me feel better. Sorry, I said. If I want another brand, I would not have come to you in the first place, knowingly that you charge much, much more than other tire shops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F31MSport View Post
Kal Tire is great but it's really starting to bug me that every year the same thing happens with Nokian Tyres. Anyone looking for a set, especially after halloween, could be in for an adventure.

I've been using Nokian's on all of my cars and my wife's car since the mid/late-90's. Anyone remember Nokian Hakka 10's? There hasn't been very many times where I needed a set and there was an ample supply in stock. It's either, hey you got lucky because you got the last or second last set in this size or.... sorry you're SOL and we're completely out of stock in that size for all of Canada.

It's not even like these tires are cheap. You bend over and pay a premium if you're lucky enough to get a set or you're completely SOL.

Just imagine you get a puncture that can't be repaired late in the season. You're f*%'d because NO ONE will have these in stock. Ask me how I know.

I obviously believe Nokian makes a really good product but I just wish that they would increase their supply so that there's more than enough to go around especially since the supply shortage appears to be a chronically reoccurring issue allowed to persist for decades.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 05:42 PM   #63
F31MSport
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 M Sport Diesel

Quote:
^ You'll be happy to know that Nokian is opening a manf plant in the states. No more waiting on the slow boat from Europe or Russia!
Did not know that... I hope that will be enough to improve the supply situation and perhaps even lower the price.

A part of me still thinks that there's something in the "exclusive" distributor agreements that allow the Kal Tires within a region to create a shortage of supply within their local markets. The lack of general competition seems keep the prices for this particular brand of tire in the expensive zone.

Just yesterday, I contacted a tire distributor in northern Michigan about a set of Nokian's that were out of stock in Canada. They too had a limited supply but at least they had 2 available sets left. I asked if they could ship to a Canadian address and I was told that of ALL the brands in their portfolio Nokian was the only one that prevented them from doing so... WTF???

I simply enlisted the services of a freight forwarding company who issued me a US address to ship the tires to and they will take it across the boarder, clear customs and ship it the rest of the way to my door.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 07:51 PM   #64
dseven
Rep
Drives: Best of the Best

I got Nokian tires from trillitires in Richmond Hill ,last year,also Aurora Tire&Wheel sell them as well, both better priced than Kal Tire.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 09:35 PM   #65
Canadian eh!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 440xi Gran Coupe!!!!

Went with Rial x10 8x18 30et rims mounted with Pirelli sottozero 3 runflats from tirerack. Not the cheapest option but TUV listed and take a bmw centre cap, very factory look.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 02:01 PM   #66
Hypermile
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopal View Post
I got these wheels from kaltire, with Nokian Hakka R2 225/45/18 for $2,000> Price is out the door,with taxes and installation included. What do you guys think?
I like the wheels. But I don't think I'll ever buy aftermarket winter wheels unless they are a forged 1 piece (you gotta be a baller to rock a set of forged wheels for winter lol). I've had aftermarket wheels on my B7 A4 and they bent, were hard to balance....

Appreciate 0