F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BAVSOUND and AFTERMARKET Amps
Studio RSR

02-05-2014, 06:04 PM   #1
mitsuba
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 328i Sport 2014

BAVSOUND and AFTERMARKET Amps

Guys,

I upgrade my HIFI to Bavsound and it is great. But then comes my challenge since I want to upgrade my OEM amp. Maybe with a JL.

I got recommendation to use JL Slash v3 and would like to know if anyone have this installation or sort of it.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
Ouzzo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Would be intrested in this as well,bavsound got my hifi equipped f30 to another sound level.
But would like to know if changing the amp would be beneficial ?
Also if it is any recommendations
      02-14-2014, 04:44 PM   #3
mitsuba
Brazil
Rep

My decision on F30 hifi upgrade

After several rounds here and over 100 posts I read about audio upgrade, this is what I did (and it is not the "best", but what fit my needs) :

1) 1st. bought Bavsound Stage 1. Enjoyed a lot. But not enough since OEM amp does not deliver ! I wish bavsound guys told me that IT WOULD not work with an aftermarket amp unless I added crossovers.

2) Between buying crossovers or changing speakers with higher input, chose to remove them.

This is my current installation :

A) Audison Bit One
B) JL 900/5
C) Hertz Speakers HSK 3 way + Hertz HSK 130 rear doors
D) Sub JL 12Tw3v4 at the trunk

In fact, if anybody In Brazil wants a Bavsound with 2 weeks use, I can sell it.

Also, and more important: use this forum as a resource to understand basics and draw some ideas. Unless you are a DIY installer, I do recommend you to get the best installer you can afford.

My choice of installer in Brazil is http://www.audiodesign.com.br/empresa_premios.php.

regards
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 05:04 PM   #4
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i 6MT w/ MPS & MPE

my audio adventures were documented here

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936139

never heard the BAVsound in person so I cannot comment. With my upgrades and my experiences over the past 20 years of audio upgrades, in order of making a difference: REALLY good quality source material, good front speakers, good amp(s), good tuning (EQ/processor) and then a good sub, in that order…In the past, we would add a good deck, but not possible in newer cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 02:02 AM   #5
Ouzzo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuba View Post
After several rounds here and over 100 posts I read about audio upgrade, this is what I did (and it is not the "best", but what fit my needs) :

1) 1st. bought Bavsound Stage 1. Enjoyed a lot. But not enough since OEM amp does not deliver ! I wish bavsound guys told me that IT WOULD not work with an aftermarket amp unless I added crossovers.

2) Between buying crossovers or changing speakers with higher input, chose to remove them.

A) Audison Bit One
B) JL 900/5

Also, and more important: use this forum as a resource to understand basics and draw some ideas. Unless you are a DIY installer, I do recommend you to get the best installer you can afford.

My choice of installer in Brazil is http://www.audiodesign.com.br/empresa_premios.php.

regards
Thanks for this info mate . Did not know that.
I am overall satisfied with bavsound upgrade but like you I feel the stock amp a little lacking. Maybe I will wait for bavsound to issue a stage 2 upgrade.
I though this would be as simple as getting the technic harness and adding and amp
      02-15-2014, 02:10 AM   #6
Ouzzo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by focal View Post
my audio adventures were documented here

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936139

never heard the BAVsound in person so I cannot comment. With my upgrades and my experiences over the past 20 years of audio upgrades, in order of making a difference: REALLY good quality source material, good front speakers, good amp(s), good tuning (EQ/processor) and then a good sub, in that order…In the past, we would add a good deck, but not possible in newer cars.
Very nice upgrade focal. Enjoy in good health mate.

I myself more for plug and play upgrades with this car. Also going for DIY so ease of install was an important factor for going bavsound

With bavsound the sound becomes more alive and fills the car with a sound stage that was missing from the stock setup.

If I would quantify what I am missing it would be stronger bass that will remain clean with volume
      02-15-2014, 06:50 AM   #7
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouzzo

Very nice upgrade focal. Enjoy in good health mate.

I myself more for plug and play upgrades with this car. Also going for DIY so ease of install was an important factor for going bavsound

With bavsound the sound becomes more alive and fills the car with a sound stage that was missing from the stock setup.

If I would quantify what I am missing it would be stronger bass that will remain clean with volume
With all the positive reviews of the bavsound it appears to give you what the most basic system should have. Presence and a wide sound stage. But also an accurate sound from stock power.

Why cannot bavsound work with aftermarket amps?

Even with my system I feel I need to crank it to hear all the details. Of course if you are parked it helps. More amp power just allows you to hear it all during driving and not turn the dial so high that the idrive deck or amp distorts. From looking at the input to my alpine deck (with software) the idrive deck does protect well and can be cranked almost fully without distortion.

Everything is plug and play sort of. Amps and speakers are. Only if you add a processor do you open a lot more issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 07:06 AM   #8
Ouzzo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Looks like from Mitsuba experience mentioned above that one would need crossovers to implement a more powerful amp with bavsound speakers
      02-15-2014, 07:42 AM   #9
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouzzo View Post
Looks like from Mitsuba experience mentioned above that one would need crossovers to implement a more powerful amp with bavsound speakers
the OEM tweets have a cap in line already, I would assume the bavsound retains it.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 02:00 PM   #10
Micah D. Cranman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Messing over Nutmeg

Quote:

A) Audison Bit One
B) JL 900/5

regards
I'm confused -- our speakers are perfectly capable of working with an aftermarket amplifier. Did you contact us for specs on what amp to use, etc?

Sorry you're not happy, but you CAN use our products with an aftermarket amp in this application.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 02:02 PM   #11
Micah D. Cranman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
External crossover networks are ideal, but they're not required. You can still drive our speakers with around 75W / channel if you're careful with the tuning and using only the in-line capacitor.

We also actually have full crossover networks available for purchase separately (not shown on our site) that can be used in these cases, too.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 02:38 PM   #12
Kaitain
Private
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue II F30 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah D. Cranman View Post
External crossover networks are ideal, but they're not required. You can still drive our speakers with around 75W / channel if you're careful with the tuning and using only the in-line capacitor.

We also actually have full crossover networks available for purchase separately (not shown on our site) that can be used in these cases, too.
When I upgraded my HK system to the Bavsound speakers, Micah let me know exactly what he just posted, as I wanted to make sure if I chose to upgrade the HK Amp, I could without too many issues. So, I am not sure who told you that you could not run their speakers with an aftermarket amp.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 05:26 PM   #13
Ouzzo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah D. Cranman View Post

Thank you for the information Micah, that is good news indeed

I hope you guys come up with a stage 2 for hifi system adding amp and sub. That would be great

For now I am enjoying the upgraded speaker set they really made a differential to stock and are a great bang for the buck
      02-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #14
mitsuba
Brazil
Rep

Hi guys

Micah, I did contacted you and since I was about to add a powerful amp, you recommended me crossovers.

Instead of adding crossovers I decided.to replace woofer to handle 110-120w, more than 75w.

I liked bavsound but you should offer and sell crossovers at your website, and offer to people if they want to go over 75w.

For those who look for harness, search my post about it. Had a bad experience here.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 01:18 PM   #15
pgerbs82
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Redesign

Stock speakers can sound good if...

First lemme start by saying that I produce music so whether I'm at home or on the road having a solid sound system that bumps is very important to me. As you can see in the picture, all I did was take out the cargo insert in the trunk and give it to an audio installation place for them to make a fiberglass mold for 2 ten inch subs. I wanted to have subs without using my entire trunk so because there's no spare I was able to make this work. So the subs were installed and the amp is bolted to the ceiling giving it a super clean look with thumping sound. I also had them install an bass volume control inside of the drivers side cubby hole underneath of the headlight controls. The bass is what distorts the sound cause the stock speakers can only handle so much bass beyond a certain volume but when you take a majority of that bass out of the speakers they actually work really well as highs. Now doing this will run you about $500-$700 more than the stage 1 upgrade but it's well worth it!!! I'm sure that if I were to upgrade my speakers to BAVsound then it would make my system that much better but I'm contempt for the time being. Hope this was helpful as your review was helpful to me!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 05:39 PM   #16
Micah D. Cranman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi guys

Micah, I did contacted you and since I was about to add a powerful amp, you recommended me crossovers.

Instead of adding crossovers I decided.to replace woofer to handle 110-120w, more than 75w.

I liked bavsound but you should offer and sell crossovers at your website, and offer to people if they want to go over 75w.

For those who look for harness, search my post about it. Had a bad experience here.
We plan to in the future -- just not tons of demand and the in-line filters work very, very well for most people anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 05:41 PM   #17
Micah D. Cranman
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the information Micah, that is good news indeed

I hope you guys come up with a stage 2 for hifi system adding amp and sub. That would be great

For now I am enjoying the upgraded speaker set they really made a differential to stock and are a great bang for the buck
Glad you're happy!

Working on it -- hang in there.
Appreciate 0