F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > NEW RELEASE: Dinan N20 Big Turbo / Stage 4 DINANTRONICS
GetBMWParts

07-10-2016, 03:22 PM   #89
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nongy View Post
Hey Dinan,

Noted that you said the 320i is a bad building block to build the tune off, does that mean the current stage 4 tune and big turbos are not compatible, or you are expecting something to fail with the tune, maybe due to the high compression ratios for the 320i's being 11:1 opposed to 10:1 for the 28i's. Would be great if you could provide a little more specifics... higher chances of knocking perhaps? weaker internal components?

Kher

We have never tested the stage 4 or turbos on the 320i hence why it is not listed as compatible. In regards to the 320i being a bad building block.... as I noted earlier its simply not representative of the larger market share is all. Why build your tuning around a model that is different from the vast majority of the market (at least in the US) when you could just as easily start with a 228/328/428 and cover all 3 of those models without having to do anything special. The 320i is the odd man out, not the other way around.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 09:18 PM   #90
iron70p3
Rep
Drives: 2015 228Xi M-Sport / Dinan S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Big turbos have started shipping. Just got in another batch on Monday actually. I believe we are clear of any backorders on the N20 turbos at least at this point.

You can install the big turbo and intercooler without the tuning if you like. The car would run fine. However the gains will be next to none without the associated tuning. You will also notice a bit more turbo lag with the big turbo and without the tune as well.

While I wouldn't bother installing the turbo without a tune the intercooler does hold some benefit even without the tune as its lowering temps so the car will perform better although no power will be gained.
Hi Dinan- I just saw that you have released Dinantronics SPORT for the N20, which allows for controlled boost increase. I already have Stage1 and would like to understand if SPORT does anything to improve Stage1 when combined.

Also how well will it work with the big Turbo? Am I better off waiting for the turbo tune for EWG?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 11:59 PM   #91
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron70p3
Quote:
Big turbos have started shipping. Just got in another batch on Monday actually. I believe we are clear of any backorders on the N20 turbos at least at this point.

You can install the big turbo and intercooler without the tuning if you like. The car would run fine. However the gains will be next to none without the associated tuning. You will also notice a bit more turbo lag with the big turbo and without the tune as well.

While I wouldn't bother installing the turbo without a tune the intercooler does hold some benefit even without the tune as its lowering temps so the car will perform better although no power will be gained.
Hi Dinan- I just saw that you have released Dinantronics SPORT for the N20, which allows for controlled boost increase. I already have Stage1 and would like to understand if SPORT does anything to improve Stage1 when combined.

Also how well will it work with the big Turbo? Am I better off waiting for the turbo tune for EWG?
Sport and hat you have now are alternative products to one another they do not augment each other. Sport does not deliver the amount of boost or control to maximize the turbos so if you are aiming towards going that way just wait for stage 4 on the full tune.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 08:03 AM   #92
rustyminded
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Hi i have a silly question since i never upgraded turbo before, can this be installed with other modifications or even on completely stock car and does it require base fuel like 91 since we only have ron 92 and it's 88 in U.S
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 02:32 AM   #93
enemigo13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 LCI 440xi citrineblack

even stock 328i f30 does its stock power with 98 RON petrol. you will have decreased power with ron 95. 92? I thought its not available for 10-15years or more, dont think its right fuel for modern cars..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyminded View Post
Hi i have a silly question since i never upgraded turbo before, can this be installed with other modifications or even on completely stock car and does it require base fuel like 91 since we only have ron 92 and it's 88 in U.S
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 07:32 AM   #94
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Get this mge92

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 11:02 PM   #95
Tim@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2022 X4 M Competition F98 LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyminded View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemigo13 View Post
even stock 328i f30 does its stock power with 98 RON petrol. you will have decreased power with ron 95. 92? I thought its not available for 10-15years or more, dont think its right fuel for modern cars..
I think rustyminded meant AKI, not RON.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 09:05 PM   #96
optimaxed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
I have been fighting to see if I can get more specific details the last week or so but from what I can gather there is no good news for stage 3 and 4 for the N20 right now. All of the data that was gathered the first time around for those new stages was invalidated for reasons I can't get a specific answer on and we are back to square one. Its unfortunate but that's R&D for you. ETA's and projections mean nothing until the product is officially released. Part of the reason why I personally hate sneak peaks / teasers (although I do them because I am told to do so) and why I avoid specific dates and/or timetables as much as possible. Creates an expectation that may or may not be met as things can change at the drop of a hat.

The good news (for at least one or 2 people) is that we are in need of some more test cars for development again so someone can get some free product if they were interested and in the Bay Area and wanted to offer up the car for a bit.
Hey Dinan how are things progressing on the EWG stage 3/4 for the N20 ?
thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 11:31 PM   #97
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimaxed View Post
Hey Dinan how are things progressing on the EWG stage 3/4 for the N20 ?
thanks
We've had some challenges and some setbacks with the EWG software on the N20. It seems all of our test cars exhibit some seemingly random stumbles under specific conditions. For the most part they aren't a big deal unless you get into those specific situations and experience them. Just unsettling more then anything. Regardless not be a big deal for most but doesn't exactly live up to the Dinan drivability standards so we have been toiling away at the couple test cars and ironing them out. We have our original test car coming back in hopefully on the 8th to see if that car exhibits no issues with the revised tunes and if it does I think we are basically in the clear. Here's hoping...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 07:48 PM   #98
optimaxed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We've had some challenges and some setbacks with the EWG software on the N20. It seems all of our test cars exhibit some seemingly random stumbles under specific conditions. For the most part they aren't a big deal unless you get into those specific situations and experience them. Just unsettling more then anything. Regardless not be a big deal for most but doesn't exactly live up to the Dinan drivability standards so we have been toiling away at the couple test cars and ironing them out. We have our original test car coming back in hopefully on the 8th to see if that car exhibits no issues with the revised tunes and if it does I think we are basically in the clear. Here's hoping...
Thanks for the update and fingers crossed car comes back ok and tune is finalized.
Would that be the stage 3 version only and stage 4 would require more testing ?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 02:41 PM   #99
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the update and fingers crossed car comes back ok and tune is finalized.
Would that be the stage 3 version only and stage 4 would require more testing ?
I believe both will be released at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 06:01 PM   #100
optimaxed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I believe both will be released at the same time.
Any updates on the stage 3 and stage 4 releases?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 06:15 PM   #101
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Any updates on the stage 3 and stage 4 releases?
Slotted for the end of the month assuming no hiccups in the field between now and then.
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2016, 03:00 PM   #102
rustyminded
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbits93 View Post
I think rustyminded meant AKI, not RON.
I meant RON which is used in middle east not all counties but where i live at least
      08-17-2016, 03:01 PM   #103
rustyminded
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemigo13 View Post
yes we have special software for lower octane by dealer officially
      08-26-2016, 04:19 PM   #104
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Cecotto, F85, G05, G07,

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [10.00]
I just got an email announcing the release of ewg for stage 3 and 4!
      12-12-2016, 02:17 PM   #105
Cammy5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i M Sport 6MT

Dinan_Engineering - I have an BPC ECU Flash tune, a M Performance exhaust being installed on my car tomorrow morning, and your intercooler coming next month. My question about your upgraded turbo for my 2016 328i 6MT is how would the warranty you provide work since I'll have Bimmer Performance Center that did my original tune where I live in Raleigh, NC retune my car after your turbo is installed. I'm attaching their Stage One they did on my car just for clarity on what they did already. So in essence, aside from the M Performance Exhaust vs your exhaust (I'm assuming no power difference outside of the dynos margin of error) and the ECU flash tune vs your piggy back, my car would be representative of your Stage 4 kit.

*M Performance Big Brake Kit
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 03:45 PM   #106
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy5 View Post
Dinan_Engineering - I have an BPC ECU Flash tune, a M Performance exhaust being installed on my car tomorrow morning, and your intercooler coming next month. My question about your upgraded turbo for my 2016 328i 6MT is how would the warranty you provide work since I'll have Bimmer Performance Center that did my original tune where I live in Raleigh, NC retune my car after your turbo is installed. I'm attaching their Stage One they did on my car just for clarity on what they did already. So in essence, aside from the M Performance Exhaust vs your exhaust (I'm assuming no power difference outside of the dynos margin of error) and the ECU flash tune vs your piggy back, my car would be representative of your Stage 4 kit.

Gut reaction is warranty would be none as it is run out of our spec. Best case scenario is the turbo hardware would be covered but any incidentals would not be as its not running our tuning and the DME has been tampered with. While I dont believe this to be the case, BPC could turn boost to the moon causing issues in which Dinan would be liable even though we had no hand in the reason for failure. For an answer straight from the horses mouth though I would contact warranty at 1-800-341-5480 x2101 and they could give you the absolute reality.
Appreciate 1
Cammy5159.00
      03-02-2017, 07:31 AM   #107
kimoboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Can I use my JB4 with this turbo. Is the Electronic waste gate option out yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 10:05 AM   #108
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimoboy View Post
Can I use my JB4 with this turbo. Is the Electronic waste gate option out yet.
See post above yours for the answer to the first question. Reasoning still applies to the JB4 just like the BPC tune referenced above.

The EWG version is out as well although it requires a core to be supplied. The cast version that eliminates the need for a core should be available in the near future but it will be slightly more expensive as a result.

EDIT: Just realized what thread this was in. Disregard previous reply. The same N20 turbo works with both the mechanical and electronic wastegate. No core is required for the N20 turbo either.

Last edited by Dinan_Engineering; 03-02-2017 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: Wrong info...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 02:31 AM   #109
kimoboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Why the JB4 will not work correct, if it works normal with Pure turbos, and both turbos are hardware.

Quote:
See post above yours for the answer to the first question. Reasoning still applies to the JB4 just like the BPC tune referenced above.

The EWG version is out as well although it requires a core to be supplied. The cast version that eliminates the need for a core should be available in the near future but it will be slightly more expensive as a result.

EDIT: Just realized what thread this was in. Disregard previous reply. The same N20 turbo works with both the mechanical and electronic wastegate. No core is required for the N20 turbo either.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 07:26 AM   #110
vscrch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimoboy View Post
Why the JB4 will not work correct, if it works normal with Pure turbos, and both turbos are hardware.
I think he may have been noting that it would not be good with warranty. As for tuning, it would work all the same.
Appreciate 0