F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > Six New Ad Spots Feature BMW 3 Series F30 Technologies. Two to Air During Super Bowl
GetBMWParts

02-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #45
AZ865
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i DCT

Comon guy's the car guy or gal knows what the BMW is these ad's are for the undecided. Great Ad's.
      02-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #46
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
I don't see what the problem is with putting more emphasis on "machine" than driving. Forget Lexus and Toyota. For the longest time, BMW was known for not having the cool technology that Mercedes and Audi had in their cars. This needed to be done. I'm not saying should abandon marketing the driving aspect of their cars (I'm sure they will have an ad that focuses on that) but this is to advertise the unknown, in this case is the slew of tech BMW now finally has.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #47
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
loved the ads for its sense of humor, but really, nothing was impressive except for the trunk opener. I see how they could come in handy, maybe better if it could even closer by itself. Then again, like someone pointed out, I don't see how it could work so well. They better have some serious sensor behind it to make sure it doesn't open when a cat passes by under.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #48
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shicobico View Post
Sad. The new marketing slogan may as well say: We only make, one thing: The ultimate Toyota Corolla for young professionals and newly affluent families.

What happened to the ultimate driving machine? What does hands free trunk opening have anything to do with an ultimate driving machine? Reading texts? Comfort access? Cool and all, but too pedestrian and soccer-mommy oriented marketing for a brand that claims to make "ultimate driving machines".
Totally agree. I hope they also communicate something that conveys serious performance.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #49
Pentium
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Steering wheel is the best
      02-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #50
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90
Quote:
Sad. The new marketing slogan may as well say: We only make, one thing: The ultimate Toyota Corolla for young professionals and newly affluent families.

What happened to the ultimate driving machine? What does hands free trunk opening have anything to do with an ultimate driving machine? Reading texts? Comfort access? Cool and all, but too pedestrian and soccer-mommy oriented marketing for a brand that claims to make "ultimate driving machines".
Depends how you approach these ads. What really is the "Ultimate Driving Machine?" When BMW first started this marketing campaign, it was to show off the car and the segment they basically introduced/created - that is the driving dynamics of the 3-Series. By now everyone should now that is a staple of the 3-Series. With BMW, specifically the 3-Series, being so much more popular now, BMW can't continue to run with that, they had to market the tech especially to the Toyota/Lexus crowd. Now the Ultimate Driving Machine is driving dynamics + tech features (think complete package now). I don't see this as a cop out because this needed to be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achien View Post
Disappointed!!!

Not one out of the six items from the ads contribute to the "Ultimate Driving Machine".

No LSD, no re-active suspension, no super light weight materials...
This does nothing for the general public - they just don't care about it. Chances are if you're looking for these types of things, you're already an enthusiast therefore you don't need BMW to advertise these things for you. You think the average soccer mom cares about whether or not the 3-Series has a LSD when driving her kids? These ads are suppose to capture the general audience, not the 5% of BMW enthusiasts.
When BMW moves away from their core competencies (the ultimate driving machine) and try to be everything to anyone, it risks becoming nothing to no one.
      02-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #51
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Still the ultimate driving machine people...they are just adds lmfao
      02-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #52
Nandrega
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: In Progress

I like the ads, they're simple and fun. BMW is just showcasing different aspects of the cars. BMW isn't a one dimensional company who only makes balls out racing machines. The same 335i that appeals to 'enthusiasts' here, is the same 335i that plenty of grandmothers love cruising around in with the top down. They're doing a good job of not pigeon holing themselves into one niche. Anyways, I like this ad too.

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #53
Theride
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006

Quote:
No one said it takes anything away from the driving experience of the car. What I am personally saying (can't speak for others) is that the "driving aspect", the magical essence, the unsurpassed sporty character of a BMW has been largely neglected. These hideous BMW commercials have become so lame, techie-oriented, and have veered so far off the BMW 3 series core message (ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE), that they now are trying so hard, to appeal so a very pedestrian demograph, with simplistic gadgetry-commercials - which by the way, a game Toyota, Honda, Audi, MB, Cadillac and their cousins are also capable of playing, and playing very well - perhaps even beating BMW.

It just seems to me like a bunch of corporate execs sitting in front of a big screen power point presentation, voting on which commercial they think would move more cars. A campaign, devoid of any true BMW character.

Ok, I'm not even sure how to respond to that. I would venture to say that very few members on this board have racing on their mind 24/7, or have even raced their car at all (teenie boppers - maybe). Anyway, you're still missing the point. It is very possible to appeal to more people, AND make great commercials ALL WHILE keeping your loyal customers engaged and excited AND sticking to your core message, outlining and highlighting what makes your product unique. It just takes creativity, and an unyielding belief in your product (not an unyielding belief in sales and numbers).

Any other car company can load their grocery movers with technology, luxury, and sell them cheaper than BMW ... no one but BMW can make a 3 series.

The competition is wiser:

1. Buick (FREAKIN BUICK!):

2. Cadillac

And that is why if you were the CEO or the decision maker, the company would not see any progress.

Believe it or not, people do buy BMWs simply for getting groceries. How many commercial should there be geared towards the ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE. If you notice something, the UDM characteristics have not changed based on the reviews...so why focus on that entirely. These commercials were made to be fun, and they have done a very good job relaying that. And honestly, they also SELL some of the features the car is offering. I, for one, loved especially the keyless trunk entry because I can remember many times when my hands are filled with bags of groceries and have to put on the ground in order to open the trunk.

Certainly there are things to complain about with BMW, but complaining about common sense features?

How about complaining about the stupid hood cut line. those retarded looking headlights(not the technology, but shape). The stupid looking front bumper on the new 3 series. The fact that BMW's cars do not look as if you have ARRIVED compared to Mercedes. How about complaining about the ugly lines on many modern day BMW where BMW's HOD tries to tell us why these cars look good instead of allowing the car to speak for themselves

I yearn for a BMW where you look at it first glance and the looks is captivating. For example the pre-LCI e90. My biggest problem is that BMW does not make SLEEK looking cars anymore. Cars that need no drop because the factory stance on BMWs have always been great. These new cars look like 4x4. It seems BMW has lost that signature dip when it comes to a stop, rather you get that nose dive as if the car is front heavy.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 11:59 PM   #54
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by achien View Post
When BMW moves away from their core competencies (the ultimate driving machine) and try to be everything to anyone, it risks becoming nothing to no one.
I don't agree. If this was BMW doing something way out of the ordinary or something that didn't make any sense in terms of attracting a broader audience you'd be right. This is not that scenario. This was a smart business move and needed to be done. Just because BMW doesn't showcase it in their ads, doesn't mean they have moved away or forgotten the driving aspect of it. How many times have you heard people say BMW was overrated/overpriced because their interiors were below par compared to their competition? How many times have you heard that BMW never has any of the bells/whistles that Mercedes and Audi have as standard or options that BMW doesn't have? These ads would do more than an ad that just showcases a BMW's steering and handling.

But with that said, I'm pretty sure there will be an ad that shows the driving aspect.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 02:52 AM   #55
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40e/e36 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shicobico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theride View Post
With thought process like this, BMW would be making E30s forever. Or cars with a seat filled with grass padding.

How is keyless entry, keyless trunk, heated seats/steering wheel etc, taking away from the driving aspect of the car?

No one said it takes anything away from the driving experience of the car. What I am personally saying (can't speak for others) is that the "driving aspect", the magical essence, the unsurpassed sporty character of a BMW has been largely neglected. These hideous BMW commercials have become so lame, techie-oriented, and have veered so far off the BMW 3 series core message (ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE), that they now are trying so hard, to appeal so a very pedestrian demograph, with simplistic gadgetry-commercials - which by the way, a game Toyota, Honda, Audi, MB, Cadillac and their cousins are also capable of playing, and playing very well - perhaps even beating BMW.

It just seems to me like a bunch of corporate execs sitting in front of a big screen power point presentation, voting on which commercial they think would move more cars. A campaign, devoid of any true BMW character.

Quote:

BMW or any car company are not making cars just for teenie boppers and people with racing in mind 24/7. They are making cars for everyone. And I shouldnt have to get a prius, a bmw, a porsche, an SUV, a mini bus just to accommodate the various things we deal with day to day.

Ok, I'm not even sure how to respond to that. I would venture to say that very few members on this board have racing on their mind 24/7, or have even raced their car at all (teenie boppers - maybe). Anyway, you're still missing the point. It is very possible to appeal to more people, AND make great commercials ALL WHILE keeping your loyal customers engaged and excited AND sticking to your core message, outlining and highlighting what makes your product unique. It just takes creativity, and an unyielding belief in your product (not an unyielding belief in sales and numbers).

Any other car company can load their grocery movers with technology, luxury, and sell them cheaper than BMW ... no one but BMW can make a 3 series.

The competition is wiser:

1. Buick (FREAKIN BUICK!):

2. Cadillac

The wheels on the Buick are sick. And I thought the commercial was funny too.
      02-05-2012, 04:46 AM   #56
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theride
Quote:

With thought process like this, BMW would be making E30s forever. Or cars with a seat filled with grass padding.

How is keyless entry, keyless trunk, heated seats/steering wheel etc, taking away from the driving aspect of the car?

BMW or any car company are not making cars just for teenie boppers and people with racing in mind 24/7. They are making cars for everyone. And I shouldnt have to get a prius, a bmw, a porsche, an SUV, a mini bus just to accommodate the various things we deal with day to day.
All those fancy features take away precious R&D money from engineers in making BMW an even better Ultimate Driving Machine.
      02-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #57
90degreeman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Crappy 2001 Accord

Terrible (mildly funny) ads May be I am snobby and I don't get amused very easily but BMW could have done so much better. I'd like a serious ad amidst the rest of "wanna be funny" ads that Budlight and other companies are going to put out. Cadillac's ATS ad is fantastic....
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 11:45 AM   #58
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:

truth
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #59
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

I personally don't think they pulled off the "funny" that well in the standard of super bowl commercials. They are ok, but I suspect a lot of you guys are going "OMG AWESOME" because you already love BMWs. I don't expect them to be the memorable ones from this year's crop.

As for none of the ads being about driving, in principle I think it's a bit childish to demand that all of their ads be about some race track flybys. As many have pointed out, people already know very well that our cars are known to be quick, and that they attract certain type of owners.

BUT, BMW is actually moving towards gadgetry AT THE EXPENSE of driving engagement with almost all new models with the possible exception of the F30 (although even for the F30 I think the trend is there). In that context, having 6 commercials none of which is about driving does bother me somewhat. And like I said, they are not even that good.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #60
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

I think some of us like this ad better?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #61
Alpin3_F30
Euro.Techniks-EAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i

is there any option where it changes that ugly front end?
      02-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #62
ts61gogo
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: Does not exist yet

My uncle's 1995 Volvo 850 had memory seats, what is the point about mentioning them?
They should have been standard years ago...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #63
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
And that is why if you were the CEO or the decision maker, the company would not see any progress.

Believe it or not, people do buy BMWs simply for getting groceries. How many commercial should there be geared towards the ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE. If you notice something, the UDM characteristics have not changed based on the reviews...so why focus on that entirely. These commercials were made to be fun, and they have done a very good job relaying that. And honestly, they also SELL some of the features the car is offering. I, for one, loved especially the keyless trunk entry because I can remember many times when my hands are filled with bags of groceries and have to put on the ground in order to open the trunk.

Certainly there are things to complain about with BMW, but complaining about common sense features?

How about complaining about the stupid hood cut line. those retarded looking headlights(not the technology, but shape). The stupid looking front bumper on the new 3 series. The fact that BMW's cars do not look as if you have ARRIVED compared to Mercedes. How about complaining about the ugly lines on many modern day BMW where BMW's HOD tries to tell us why these cars look good instead of allowing the car to speak for themselves

I yearn for a BMW where you look at it first glance and the looks is captivating. For example the pre-LCI e90. My biggest problem is that BMW does not make SLEEK looking cars anymore. Cars that need no drop because the factory stance on BMWs have always been great. These new cars look like 4x4. It seems BMW has lost that signature dip when it comes to a stop, rather you get that nose dive as if the car is front heavy.
+1. I remeber e36 was hot looking car - sporty aggressive out of box. e46 was evolution of that and as well a design to impress and to show off it is the UDM. Finally, e90 in 2005 there was nothing like it and yet still sporty looking car. Since then A4 was improved, and c-class is hands down is ahead of f30 which just came out. Did you notice that newer c-class has improved interior and even though exterior needed very little to make a statement they still changed it.
the only reason I would get f30 is for handling and engine but i m not sure if the highest priced package (f30) makes sense.
my decision: keep my e90 till it no longer moves then perhaps get f32 if i like it. if not, move on to next better looking/priced car in the class. Has the Cadi beat bmw 3 yet?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #64
Thud
Throbbing Member
Rep
Drives:

I like how none of the Ultimate Driving Machine commercials actually show the car driving.
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #65
Walee
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320D 2004

Hey ppl,

I love all the adverts, the point I want to make is F30 is just coming out hence these are good advert to shape someone's opinion. Like most have said, BMW fans we are here, whether BMW makes good or bad looking cars, they have made something which has done it for us in their range. Generally everyone knows BMW is the ultimate driving machine and even that caddy advert named it, the bench mark for sports, driving pleasure is BMW but BMW wants more market share and upswell their innovations apart from their bog standard cars

Peace out
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 03:21 AM   #66
hyeline335
Welcome to My World!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Metallic Silver 4Dr

Garage List
2008 335i Sedan  [0.00]
In love

Or lust... I think I've fallen for this beast