F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Drivers Assistance package
ARMA SPEED

04-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
Kmm
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i XDrive-on order

Drivers Assistance package

Is it worth it?
I've heard the collision warning can cause crashes?
What about the blind spot indicator? Can you see it?

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
How does the collision warning cause crashes? It's nothing but a visible warning in both the HUD and between the meters on your dash.. Only if you are going to rely solely on that 'red car' image, then yes, you might get a crash but normally I doubt you would only look there before you actually break. But is this actually a part of the package? I thought it was more of a standard feature?

The blind spot indicator is easy to see when you look into the mirror, but also to feel through your steering wheel. I think it is a great improvement since I do a lot of city and traffic driving and very often there is someone in my blind spot and then I either know it from the vibrations or from the visible triangle in the mirror

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 12:07 AM   #3
Kmm
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i XDrive-on order

I thought I read it will auto brake for you in the event you don't break yourself.
If the car autobrakes, I thought I read somewhere that people were getting rearended due to the sudden stop?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #4
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmm
Is it worth it?
I've heard the collision warning can cause crashes?
What about the blind spot indicator? Can you see it?

I want to stop you here. The collision detection when combined with HUD is quite probably one of the greatest safety improvements in this century for popular vehicles.

The system detects when the car in front of you dramatically slows down and displays a red warning in the HUD. (my personal view is that the non HUD version is much less effective for early warning---both display a warning but in different locations and the non HUD early warning may not be seen as easily.

Aside from the brake lights, the way you can tell a car in front of you has dramatically slowed down is when the apparent size of the vehicle changes. This shift in size can be virtually imperceptible when the car is directly ahead of you and all you see is a two dimensional object getting slightly larger.

The collision detection will provide a silent but visible warning in the early stages when the car in front of you is slowing down dramatically.

In almost every case I became aware of a dramatic change in speed by the car in front of my by way of collision detection in advance of my unaided peepers. Typically 300 to 1000 milliseconds before your unaided eyes would notice. That's a near eternity when it comes to strategic accident avoidance.

In many cases, you take no action. But, you are made ready by the advance notice.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
I want to stop you here. The collision detection when combined with HUD is quite probably one of the greatest safety improvements in this century for popular vehicles.

The system detects when the car in front of you dramatically slows down and displays a red warning in the HUD. (my personal view is that the non HUD version is much less effective for early warning---both display a warning but in different locations and the non HUD early warning may not be seen as easily.

Aside from the brake lights, the way you can tell a car in front of you has dramatically slowed down is when the apparent size of the vehicle changes. This shift in size can be virtually imperceptible when the car is directly ahead of you and all you see is a two dimensional object getting slightly larger.

The collision detection will provide a silent but visible warning in the early stages when the car in front of you is slowing down dramatically.

In almost every case I became aware of a dramatic change in speed by the car in front of my by way of collision detection in advance of my unaided peepers. Typically 300 to 1000 milliseconds before your unaided eyes would notice. That's a near eternity when it comes to strategic accident avoidance.

In many cases, you take no action. But, you are made ready by the advance notice.
+1. Well put.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired