F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > M Performance Power Kit Details
Studio RSR

09-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #595
AweSam8
Super Spectacular Awesome Dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E70 X5M, 2014 F30 335i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafil View Post
Folks, wanted to share an update.... if you have a new car on order and are thinking about this kit, I'd strongly consider port install. My car was arriving at the port just before this was announced, so as soon as I heard about it here I called the dealer and asked for them to pull a few strings with a last-minute port install. We weren't sure if it was too late to catch it, but looks like they got it through for me. Installed price was WAY less than many here are getting quoted from their dealers. This won't help people that already have their cars, but if you are buying a new one it would be to your financial advantage to do a port install.
I made my order for the f30 335i yesterday, and now I'm contemplating on whether or not I should get it added. My Sales Person says there would be no labor charge since it would would be part of the build. Maybe he could entice me if he were to bring it below $1250.

For all you people using your f30 as daily drivers, would you still recommend this? I mean, I talked myself out of the 328i because I wanted more power (and didn't like how the N20 sounded). I know I don't "need" it, but some reason I want it. And I know I won't be tracking my car...

... So for those who aren't tracking, why are you getting the M PPK installed?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #596
M-terkait
Major
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 3/13

More power , exhaust sounded alot better after MPPK .. N55 can still produce more tho
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #597
AweSam8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-terkait View Post
More power , exhaust sounded alot better after MPPK .. N55 can still produce more tho
Well I'm sold!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #598
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Porsche 981 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AweSam8 View Post
I made my order for the f30 335i yesterday, and now I'm contemplating on whether or not I should get it added. My Sales Person says there would be no labor charge since it would would be part of the build. Maybe he could entice me if he were to bring it below $1250.

For all you people using your f30 as daily drivers, would you still recommend this? I mean, I talked myself out of the 328i because I wanted more power (and didn't like how the N20 sounded). I know I don't "need" it, but some reason I want it. And I know I won't be tracking my car...

... So for those who aren't tracking, why are you getting the M PPK installed?
I've had my PPK installed for several months now. I drove my car for many months before the PPK was released, and eagerly awaited the release date; I placed the order on GetBMWparts.com within minutes of them adding it the site when it was finally released in the US. The installation was a real nightmare (one of the first to be installed that required the DME swap, and no-one in BMW NA seemed to know what to do, see this ridiculous thread: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821701) and took the dealer a couple weeks, obviously they didn't charge me any labor. When I finally got the car back, I was pretty pleased with the result...but now, I'm used to the little bump in power and never think twice about it ( I do still enjoy the sound though). It was fun the first couple of weeks because I could notice the change after the PPK was installed because I was so familiar with the car's performance pre-PPK...I kind of wonder if it would be more "fun" to get your car and drive it as-is for awhile, and THEN install the PPK to enjoy the little bump in power and change in sound...seems like if you have the PPK from day one it wouldn't be as much "fun" because that will just be your baseline from the beginning. Just my two cents. I don't regret getting the PPK...but at this point, the novelty has long worn off and I could take it or leave it.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #599
AweSam8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb817 View Post
I've had my PPK installed for several months now. I drove my car for many months before the PPK was released, and eagerly awaited the release date; I placed the order on GetBMWparts.com within minutes of them adding it the site when it was finally released in the US. The installation was a real nightmare (one of the first to be installed that required the DME swap, and no-one in BMW NA seemed to know what to do, see this ridiculous thread: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821701) and took the dealer a couple weeks, obviously they didn't charge me any labor. When I finally got the car back, I was pretty pleased with the result...but now, I'm used to the little bump in power and never think twice about it ( I do still enjoy the sound though). It was fun the first couple of weeks because I could notice the change after the PPK was installed because I was so familiar with the car's performance pre-PPK...I kind of wonder if it would be more "fun" to get your car and drive it as-is for awhile, and THEN install the PPK to enjoy the little bump in power and change in sound...seems like if you have the PPK from day one it wouldn't be as much "fun" because that will just be your baseline from the beginning. Just my two cents. I don't regret getting the PPK...but at this point, the novelty has long worn off and I could take it or leave it.
Hmm... So you're now without the PPK? My dealer is gonna give it to me installed at the port for $1000. What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #600
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Porsche 981 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AweSam8 View Post
Hmm... So you're now without the PPK? My dealer is gonna give it to me installed at the port for $1000. What do you think?
No, I still have the PPK...I just don't notice it anymore because I'm used to it. I really noticed it and appreciated it the first few weeks because I could compare with my pre-PPK experience...but you just eventually get accustomed to it and it seems normal...so I was just wondering if it might be unimpressive if you have the PPK port-installed because you will have it from the beginning and won't be experiencing the difference or "upgrade." You can't go wrong, it does improve the performance a bit and definitely sounds better.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #601
AweSam8
United_States
Rep

I may definitely have to get this. By dealer is gonna give it to me for $1000 installed at the port, if it becomes available by then (which I hope it does). I should stop looking at the forums, because each time I do, I tend to want to add more to my build.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #602
boomn29
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i

Do it. It's great.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #603
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Anyone have experience with the PPK and 6MT? Is the torque bump really less or is there some other reason they need to list it as that?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #604
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep

If anyone reads European Car, they had a dyno of the PPK and it showed a drop in peak torque and a slight increase in HP. They questioned the results as well.

This is the same car that was pitted against the modified ATS in one of the other magazines (motor trend?). It makes sense now as that test showed the PPK car running stock like numbers in the 1/4 mile.

No idea how to get the image at a higher resolution
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #605
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

That particular car had something up....those PPK numbers are especially weak (and slow). To counter the argument....what about the PPK 335i that ran the quarter in 13.0 @ 105.4? I think the PPK DOES add substantisl extra power and torque, and that European Car comparo had a flawed vehicle (or flawed PPK install).

My own PPK equipped car dyno'd (on a Dynojet) at 304 WHP and 308 lb-ft torque on a new engine with only 3000 miles. Divide those values by 0.85 and you can see what kind of crank #s those are...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #606
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd
That particular car had something up....those PPK numbers are especially weak (and slow). To counter the argument....what about the PPK 335i that ran the quarter in 13.0 @ 105.4? I think the PPK DOES add substantisl extra power and torque, and that European Car comparo had a flawed vehicle (or flawed PPK install).

My own PPK equipped car dyno'd (on a Dynojet) at 304 WHP and 308 lb-ft torque on a new engine with only 3000 miles. Divide those values by 0.85 and you can see what kind of crank #s those are...
Yep. When I saw the test against the Modified ATS, I thought it was strange that the 335 PPK ran stock like but this dyno shows that something was up. 300 hp/300 lb ft of torque at the wheels is impressive.
Appreciate 0