F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Steering "clunk" -- BMW NA is refusing to investigate further
GetBMWParts

04-03-2014, 09:04 AM   #23
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Porsche 981 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dL. View Post
I don't know why BMW is treating you like this, and I won't comment on this part as I don't know how you approached them.

All I can say is this is definitely not normal. I have the same car as yours and I don't have any of the noises that you currently have, and I too have lowering springs.

Did you try demonstrating the difference between your car and the dealer's lot cars with the engineers and foreman in person? That's the best way to prove to them that it is not normal. Have you also tried another dealership? Having a service manager that actually cares goes a long ways.

If that's how BMWNA is going to treat you at the end, then I suggest to just take a loss and move on with another brand and never get BMW again.

It sucks, but in this world, nobody really gives a shit about anybody anymore, unless you have the patience to find the one that does.

dL
It's disappointing -- I approached BMW NA with an open mind, expecting a resolution, not a conflict. I have patiently allowed the dealer numerous attempts to diagnose the problem for over a year. When the new power steering rack took months to arrive and then didn't fix the problem, I asked my SA about escalating to BMW NA and he said I should call BMW NA to initiate a buyback process under Ohio's lemon law. I called BMW NA and gave the full back story and they opened a case. I was open to ANY resolution -- fix the car, trade for a new one...I was even willing (at that point) to give BMW EVEN MORE of my money and upgrade on the swap to an F80 M3/F82 M4. BMW had me as a fan for life -- I did a European Delivery, I installed almost every M Performance part, I was a pretty devoted fan until this point. Ultimately, it's been disappointing -- to be told that this sound can be fixed by a new power steering rack and then when it's not fixed to be told it is "normal" in one breath and then in another breath to be told they won't investigate further with the aftermarket springs. I didn't swap the springs back on my SA's advice, he said I didn't need to waste the money, because BMW should respond to the steering clunk, regardless -- I know someone else personally who had a buyback situation with BMW, and it was painless, easy, and quick -- for a decidedly much more minor recurring issue than this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
The squeaking sound can be fixed. There is a bulletin for it. I believe my dealer just lubricated it. It's been squeak free for six months.
Yes, it seems like an easy issue with some quick lubrication -- but alas, I was told "everything is normal" and nothing was done to lubricate it last time it was in. I have an appointment next week to address...again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
OP, if you would have went back to stock, you would be in a new car by now. fyi.
Sadly, that's probably right. I listened to my SA's advice and left the springs on (the dealer installed them initially in October 2012)...he told me I shouldn't waste the money to swap them back. Alas, I have an appointment next week on Wednesday to swap them back to stock so I can show them that it makes the sound regardless of the springs. I will start the whole process over again with BMW NA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnook View Post
I have the exact same problem on my 335i. It clunks when I go over a bump, especially if I'm turning left over a driveway or speed bump. I've had my car in to BMW 5 times already and they haven't fixed it. I'm taking it back again and leaving it until its fixed.

I also have H&R Sport Springs, BUT the clunk developed before I had the springs installed and I took it in for repair before the springs were installed. It is most definitely not caused by the springs.
Good luck, based on my case -- I would suggested putting the stock springs back on, and then demonstrate clunking.

Here is a quick video of the sound going over very small transitions in the road. There is one at the beginning at the 5 seconds and another at 17 seconds. Tough to capture the sound clearly with the iphone with the sound of the rain, but you can definitely hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnook View Post
So far my dealer hasn't made any issue about the springs because its on record that the problem was reported and brought to them before the springs were installed. They are genuinely trying to help, but its frustrating that they tell me its fixed and then I pick it up and its not fixed.
My dealer installed my H&R springs for me, and they didn't make an issue out them either. My SA recommended that I just leave them on. The power steering rack was replaced under warranty, regardless of my springs. It wasn't until the issue was escalated to the field service engineer/BMW NA that anyone made any mention of the springs. If you plan to escalate the issue, I would think hard about putting the stock springs back on...unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roki_014 View Post
Op if u keep playing with the steering like that while parked who knoes what other sounds u ll get, its not meant to be jerked in place while parked
Definitely not "jerking" the wheel...it's a pretty light touch to move it and make the sound.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 10:39 AM   #24
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

I've checked my car for you... So I get a light click noise when I turn the steering wheel 90 degrees to the right or left. The click is heard at the 90 degree mark. It's quite light and I've never noticed it before (Thank you!!). Do you or anyone else also have this? It's faint but I can hear it.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #25
ViperJa
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i RWD

Just listened to your video, something is definitively wrong, my car doesn't make that sound when turning at all.
      04-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #26
ToyotaBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Whitetintedwindows

What the hell with the Fu Yao glass? Do any of you guys have that glass?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #27
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i

Problem now even if you put the old springs back on BMW know about it, and that has probably invalidated the warranty
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 03:57 PM   #28
bimmer_335
Major
Rep
Drives: 540 mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dL. View Post

It sucks, but in this world, nobody really gives a shit about anybody anymore, unless you have the patience to find the one that does.

dL
you nailed it bro...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 10:34 PM   #29
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It just keeps getting better...completely unrelated to the issue at hand...but in combination with everything else, makes it that much more frustrating with this car. "Drivetrain malfunction" on the way home from work tonight...first time this has ever happened. Cruising on the highway at 65-70mph with cruise control engaged, suddenly the car lurches a bit and slows down, accompanied by a ding and this alert. Just what I needed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 12:17 AM   #30
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb817 View Post
. . . with the other issues I've had with the car, I asked them to buy it back from me . . .
Shoot me a PM.

I think I may be able to help you out.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 08:24 AM   #31
Hernandiaz11
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M-Sport 6-Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb817 View Post
It just keeps getting better...completely unrelated to the issue at hand...but in combination with everything else, makes it that much more frustrating with this car. "Drivetrain malfunction" on the way home from work tonight...first time this has ever happened. Cruising on the highway at 65-70mph with cruise control engaged, suddenly the car lurches a bit and slows down, accompanied by a ding and this alert. Just what I needed.
I have a 435i that I took delivery on about a month ago and I’ve received a “drivetrain malfunction” on cold starts twice.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 08:37 AM   #32
ToyotaBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Whitetintedwindows

Wow with all these problems people considering the new M3/M4 will have to be brave souls.
Good luck with your problems. On the positive side with the malfunction, BMW may be that much closer to a buyout with the combination of the steering problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 08:47 AM   #33
BMWFanatic2008
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

A lot depends on your Service Advisor (or Sevice Manager) here and they can push this through for you if they're on your side. Dealing with BMW NA directly is not as easy. If your Service Department is not willing to help, I would lawyer up.
      04-04-2014, 02:08 PM   #34
Bluelondon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFanatic2008 View Post
A lot depends on your Service Advisor (or Sevice Manager) here and they can push this through for you if they're on your side. Dealing with BMW NA directly is not as easy. If your Service Department is not willing to help, I would lawyer up.
This.

If I had those issues and BMWNA refused to fix the car, the next phone call would be to my lawyer. I'm shocked they haven't done their job and fixed your car. Sorry you're going through this.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #35
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

If you had HR springs then I can see why they're resisting...

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 05:33 PM   #36
dL.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Coupe xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath
If you had HR springs then I can see why they're resisting...
Why?

dL
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #37
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Could very well have something to do with the steering column, not the rack and rest of the lower steering system (tie rods etc). That would be my guess.

Suspension/steering issues are hard to pin on the dealer/OEM when you have aftermarket mods like springs. They might not "directly" cause the problem, but it certainly changes the geometry and thus could exacerbate a problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 06:53 PM   #38
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

It looks like OP has no interest in any answer to his questions and is just venting here on the forum. I suggest he stops whining on the Internet. No one is going to telepathically find his problem over the Internet, let alone fix it...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 06:58 PM   #39
Carnook
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
Could very well have something to do with the steering column, not the rack and rest of the lower steering system (tie rods etc). That would be my guess.

Suspension/steering issues are hard to pin on the dealer/OEM when you have aftermarket mods like springs. They might not "directly" cause the problem, but it certainly changes the geometry and thus could exacerbate a problem.
My dealer believes its something to do with the steering column as well. I remember them saying something about the intermediate shaft.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 07:24 PM   #40
BL 5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 i3 REx, 2018 Tesla P3D

How many days has it been in the shop for warranty work?

Have you looked into your state lemon laws?

Although it might not qualify with an aftermarket modification.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 07:29 PM   #41
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Precisely. Using this method, I've never had to contact BMW NA.

Your dealer wants your business. They will put pressure on BMW to make sure they don't lose a customer.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 10:53 AM   #42
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330 View Post
It looks like OP has no interest in any answer to his questions and is just venting here on the forum. I suggest he stops whining on the Internet. No one is going to telepathically find his problem over the Internet, let alone fix it...
I'm slightly offended by your post, not sure what I did to make you think that. Are you intentionally trying to add to my frustration? The spirit of forums like this is to help and to learn from each other. I believe your first thread ever on F30Post was to "whine" about a rattle and solicit input/advice for fixing it, am I right? Similar to your post back in October, my original post on this thread asked if other people who have experienced the "clunking sound" have had the problem successfully resolved. I'm frustrated, yes, but "whining?" I have appreciated others' comments and I have responded thoughtfully and openly on the thread and to several good pieces of advice through PM. I've been on the forum for over two years and it's been very valuable to me and I've done my best to contribute any insights I can to others on the board. What in any of my posts on this thread indicated that I have "no interest in any answer to my questions" or that I expect someone to "telepathically find the problem"

The only questions I asked in the original post were:

1. "Is anyone else experiencing these problems and has anyone had a satisfactory resolution?"

And again, later in my original post:

2. "So, is anyone else experiencing this?"

I just wanted to know if anyone else who has experienced this clunking problem has had any successful resolutions, I didn't ask anyone to diagnose the problem -- it's not an isolated problem and several others have complained about it, as I noted in the 4 old threads I posted above in post #9.

I love this car and have loved this forum, so yeah, of course I'm frustrated with this steering clunk situation, so I naturally asked other F30 owners on the forum who I assumed have the same passion for the car and the same interest in learning more about them and resolving problems so we can all drive and enjoy them.

My sincerest apologies if my "whining" has wasted your time...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 11:03 AM   #43
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL 5 View Post
How many days has it been in the shop for warranty work?

Have you looked into your state lemon laws?

Although it might not qualify with an aftermarket modification.
Yes, the whole reason I raised the potential for buyback with BMW NA is because it qualifies under Ohio's lemon law based on the number of times they have unsuccessfully attempted to fix the problem under warranty and the cumulative number of days in the shop.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 11:08 AM   #44
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I have received some good advice offline on how to approach this with my Service Adviser and Service Manager to get them to provide a little more assistance in dealing with BMW NA -- I think it was a mistake for me to contact BMW NA directly, on my own.
Appreciate 0