F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Broke passenger side mirror...
ARMA SPEED

12-09-2017, 05:07 PM   #1
madmortar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i M-Sport

Broke passenger side mirror...

So in replacing my mirror caps, I busted the glass on my passenger side..
Really bummed and not sure where to get replacement. Looks like auto dimming and heated can be super pricey. But I have simple heated ones for around $100.

Any advice...?
Does anyone have a spare they are willing to part with?

Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 05:12 PM   #2
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmortar View Post
So in replacing my mirror caps, I busted the glass on my passenger side..
Really bummed and not sure where to get replacement. Looks like auto dimming and heated can be super pricey. But I have simple heated ones for around $100.

Any advice...?
Does anyone have a spare they are willing to part with?

Thanks...
Ouch. Same thing happened to me, only on the driver's side. Luckily there was an eBay one for $99 USD. Your options would be eBay, local wrecks, or worst case the dealer. Not many options unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 05:40 PM   #3
madmortar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailec View Post
Ouch. Same thing happened to me, only on the driver's side. Luckily there was an eBay one for $99 USD. Your options would be eBay, local wrecks, or worst case the dealer. Not many options unfortunately.
Ok, I think I can swallow $99.
Was it auto dimming and heated?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 06:21 PM   #4
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok, I think I can swallow $99.
Was it auto dimming and heated?
Yes mine was. But it's not like they're ways on sale online. Really depends on your luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 06:39 PM   #5
madmortar
Captain
Rep

Thanks ya I see some one eBay for $99. They are OEM but used. I really could care less if it's used as long as it works.

Saw some for $50 shipped that heat but no auto dimmer..
Not sure if I should cheap out on auto dimmer as I don't know if I ever even use it?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 07:55 PM   #6
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks ya I see some one eBay for $99. They are OEM but used. I really could care less if it's used as long as it works.

Saw some for $50 shipped that heat but no auto dimmer..
Not sure if I should cheap out on auto dimmer as I don't know if I ever even use it?
Yeah same. New is $200+. Mine has a small scuff but I'll take that over a cracked mirror.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 01:15 PM   #7
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Happened with me yesterday, the video on removing the mirror is misleading, I think those guys try a few times which loosens the tabs. It was way easier to just yank off the cover starting from lower inside corner.

Wanted to ask how did you replace just the cracked mirror? I don't want to break any tabs as they seem pretty solid, the mirror costs around $100, I don't think mine are suto-dimming, I think if I buy it from the dealer they might charge me a full hour to replace it, it shouldn't take them more than 2 minutes to do it.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 02:51 PM   #8
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
Quote:
Happened with me yesterday, the video on removing the mirror is misleading, I think those guys try a few times which loosens the tabs. It was way easier to just yank off the cover starting from lower inside corner.

Wanted to ask how did you replace just the cracked mirror? I don't want to break any tabs as they seem pretty solid, the mirror costs around $100, I don't think mine are suto-dimming, I think if I buy it from the dealer they might charge me a full hour to replace it, it shouldn't take them more than 2 minutes to do it.
Well one the mirror was cracked I didn't care about being gentle with it. Not worrying about that made the mirror easy to just pop out and replace. The mirror caps I did easily prying up the corners of my OEM ones and pulling.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 03:24 PM   #9
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
You can't blame the video guys. Bentley and newtis, and I assume BMW, show removing the glass as required to get the cover off, when a couple of plastic trim removal wedges will pop the cover off in a jiffy without touching the glass.
At least the glass is sold separately.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 04:43 PM   #10
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
You can't blame the video guys. Bentley and newtis, and I assume BMW, show removing the glass as required to get the cover off, when a couple of plastic trim removal wedges will pop the cover off in a jiffy without touching the glass.
At least the glass is sold separately.
You are right, I was just frustrated, it seemed to pop out so easily in that video and for me it wasn't budging at all.
Will I need to use the same technique(which cracked it) to replace the glass? I don't want to break any tabs

Last edited by thatBimmerBloke; 03-31-2019 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: More info
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 04:46 PM   #11
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well one the mirror was cracked I didn't care about being gentle with it. Not worrying about that made the mirror easy to just pop out and replace. The mirror caps I did easily prying up the corners of my OEM ones and pulling.
So I should just carry on with the same method that cracked the glass and pop it out? I'm just worried about breaking the tabs. I assume you installed new caps, how's the fitment? The ones I got from ebay are good but don't sit completely at the inner lower corner, only visible when I'm really looking closely, there is no wind noise though.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 04:48 PM   #12
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
So I should just carry on with the same method that cracked the glass and pop it out? I'm just worried about breaking the tabs. I assume you installed new caps, how's the fitment? The ones I got from ebay are good but don't sit completely at the inner lower corner, only visible when I'm really looking closely, there is no wind noise though.
Yup. It's not just glass though, it's got a plastic backing so it should stick. You could always wear gloves if you're concerned. Or alternatively, once you pop off the cover, just pinch the tabs holding the glass in from behind, and it'll pop right out. My mirror covers are perfect fitment, no complaints.
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2019, 10:37 PM   #13
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yup. It's not just glass though, it's got a plastic backing so it should stick. You could always wear gloves if you're concerned. Or alternatively, once you pop off the cover, just pinch the tabs holding the glass in from behind, and it'll pop right out. My mirror covers are perfect fitment, no complaints.
On replacing the mirror I found it easier to go about it from the left edge(in case of driver side), it worked way better than trying to pry it out from the bottom. Was really easy this time.
Appreciate 0