F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > When can we expect a tune for the 320i?? Can we get some love?
proTUNING Freaks

10-27-2014, 11:27 AM   #1
luis61978
Rep
Drives: United States

When can we expect a tune for the 320i?? Can we get some love?

Does anybody know if a tune for the 320i will come ouy besides from BMS?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 12:38 PM   #2
Labeef
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320I Sport/Xenon

Why do you want something other than BMS? Dinan is working on one, but it will cost 3 to 4x more.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
Trekk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '14 F30 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labeef View Post
Why do you want something other than BMS? Dinan is working on one, but it will cost 3 to 4x more.
Why is it that each time there is an expressed interest in non-BMS tunes, someone always pops up saying that BMS is all that one needs?

Yes, the BMS price is lower than that of other tunes, like Dinan or Hartge. Yes, the BMS peak gains might be higher as well. Does that mean we should all buy BMS tunes? By that argument, we should all eat at McDonald's. Can't beat the price, and you get way more calories than at any of these rip-off fine-dining places, right?

Perhaps you want a specific reason for avoiding BMS? Here is one that disqualified it for me: their tune box is not waterproof. You only need water ingress or condensation to fry your tune, and potentially the attached $20k engine. Search these threads and you will find multiple instances of people having problems with this. The prevailing wisdom/advice is to wrap the tune in a bag. Sounds quality, right?

If BMS put so little thought into the enclosure, and chose something that (I think) is unsafe so that they can save a few bucks, then what confidence can you have in what they engineered inside? I have none. You might have a lot. We can agree to disagree. McDonald's is still in business, and lots of people eat there. That doesn't mean we all want to eat there.

The OP specifically asks about non-BMS options; he's not asking about BMS vs others comparisons.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 01:40 PM   #4
sirhawes
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 328i Imperial Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekk
Quote:
Why is it that each time there is an expressed interest in non-BMS tunes, someone always pops up saying that BMS is all that one needs?

Yes, the BMS price is lower than that of other tunes, like Dinan or Hartge. Yes, the BMS peak gains might be higher as well. Does that mean we should all buy BMS tunes? By that argument, we should all eat at McDonald's. Can't beat the price, and you get way more calories than at any of these rip-off fine-dining places, right?

Perhaps you want a specific reason for avoiding BMS? Here is one that disqualified it for me: their tune box is not waterproof. You only need water ingress or condensation to fry your tune, and potentially the attached $20k engine. Search these threads and you will find multiple instances of people having problems with this. The prevailing wisdom/advice is to wrap the tune in a bag. Sounds quality, right?

If BMS put so little thought into the enclosure, and chose something that (I think) is unsafe so that they can save a few bucks, then what confidence can you have in what they engineered inside? I have none. You might have a lot. We can agree to disagree. McDonald's is still in business, and lots of people eat there. That doesn't mean we all want to eat there.

The OP specifically asks about non-BMS options; he's not asking about BMS vs others comparisons.
Praise
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 09:20 PM   #5
luis61978
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekk View Post

You hit it on the nail. It was just a simple question I asked. Basically if there are other tuners out therefor the 320i. I see that BMS does have one for the 320i but it says not sold in Cali. Weird as they are located here in Cali. But anyways not trying to start an argument just trying to see the if anyone out there may know of other tuners. I cam from an Evo X so the BMW is a lil alien to me but it is growing on me though.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 12:35 PM   #6
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Quote:

The people that get their tunes wet are morons. If you actually follow the directions and install the jb4 properly you will never get it wet. Being through a hurricane, really really bad rain, and a pressure washer multiple times a month, and I checked my tune compartment every time and it's never wet. So I guess they thought people would actually follow directions instead of half assing it with a 20k engine and didn't need a fully submersible enclosure, like literally EVERY OTHER TUNE. Dinan and the rest all have a similar box, all have minimal waterproofing to none, and I really mean none are fully submersible to my knowledge.

That's just my experience. You aren't going to find a risk free alternative anywhere, so go with the one you like, and that people have used successfully. I personally use the jb4 on my 320i because for the price it's not bad power, it gets no where near the stage 2 328 power that has been crack heads and blowing engines, it has safety features built in that these other tunes don't or won't have, so for price, peace of mind, and power I go with the jb4 on my 320i. If I had a different model maybe I wouldn't use the jb4. But too each their own. I can completely understand why people would want different tunes, in fact it's better for the industry as a whole, but don't use an argument based on people's idiotic mistakes and not people who actually use them properly.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 12:42 PM   #7
luis61978
Rep

Thescout13 so you currently have a 320i msport? I have a 2014 320i with the sport package. I didn't know that you can get it in M sport... damn lol
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #8
Trekk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '14 F30 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
... like literally EVERY OTHER TUNE. Dinan and the rest all have a similar box, all have minimal waterproofing to none, and I really mean none are fully submersible to my knowledge.
You should check these things before making such strong statements. Almost every tune out there, other than BMS, is waterproof:

Racechip Ultimate:
"Fibre-glass reinforced plastic, heat resistant, waterproof"
"RaceChip Pro2 & RaceChip Ultimate is absolutely waterproof"

VR Tuned:
"Tuning Box features an aluminum weatherproof case"

TMC Tune:
"Highly durable resin casings with waterproof connections"

Speed buster:
"Waterproof shed housing"

What does BMS say about this? Here is a quote from the BMS F30 tune install manual (link):

"For those in extremely wet areas or those who wish to run without the engine covers you can also cover the JB control box with a plastic membrane such as a zip lock bag or other suitable water tight cover. "

Wrap a bag on it.

As with many things in life, you get what you pay for.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 02:01 PM   #9
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
... like literally EVERY OTHER TUNE. Dinan and the rest all have a similar box, all have minimal waterproofing to none, and I really mean none are fully submersible to my knowledge.
You should check these things before making such strong statements. Almost every tune out there, other than BMS, is waterproof:

Racechip Ultimate:
"Fibre-glass reinforced plastic, heat resistant, waterproof"
"RaceChip Pro2 & RaceChip Ultimate is absolutely waterproof"

VR Tuned:
"Tuning Box features an aluminum weatherproof case"

TMC Tune:
"Highly durable resin casings with waterproof connections"

Speed buster:
"Waterproof shed housing"

What does BMS say about this? Here is a quote from the BMS F30 tune install manual (link):

"For those in extremely wet areas or those who wish to run without the engine covers you can also cover the JB control box with a plastic membrane such as a zip lock bag or other suitable water tight cover. "

Wrap a bag on it.

As with many things in life, you get what you pay for.
I stand corrected then. Well you can pay a premium for the equivalent of BMS stage 1 tune with a waterproof seal. Or you can just pay a whole bunch less (nearly a grand in some cases) for more functionality, better tuning, and logging abilities, not to mention code reading and deleting, (the jb4) hell, I'll even throw you $.30 for a ziplock bag so you can sleep at night.

If self waterproofing a device because you are that paranoid that you can't install something properly in a compartment that should never be open and will never be seen or should never get wet, means that much to you, then go right ahead and pay a whole lot more for inferior functionality. Like I said too each their own. And let's say you are right and you do get what you pay for, I get a reliable tune that gives me more functionality then anything else on the market for $500. And the other guy gets a tune that's gives them a the attitude of a snob because of their sunken cost and that company made a ridiculous profit on their crazy markup for an inferior device.

Just because you buy a BMW doesn't mean you have to buy the most expensive tune out there. Hell, if "you get what you paid for" really actually meant anything, you wouldn't see 10 your old Hondas with 200kmiles on the road, nor 700 hp evos with no issues, nor kias that outlast BMWs in reliability. Shit, if you really get what you paid for, our BMWs wouldn't have so many God damn problems going back to the n54s. We paid 35k+ for a car that probably won't make it 5 years given BMWs record with new cars at this point.

Just saying.

OP get a jb4 and if you don't want one and feel like an extra couple hundred is worth it to you for cosmetic differences and less functionality, then do it. I'm just not one for spending more than I should, and am also not one to let others discourage you about a product that hundreds even thousands enjoy and have had little issues with when being repsonsible.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 08:05 AM   #10
munch520
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekk View Post