F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Anyone tried Dinantronics Stage 1 for B58?
Extreme Powerhouse

11-24-2017, 11:39 AM   #23
3ToAgree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: NA

I have a 2016 340i and getting the Dinan Stage 1 installed in 2 weeks along with their exhaust system. Hopefully it will be a noticeable difference!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 08:41 PM   #24
MarcosLepre
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 50e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejn1 View Post
I have a 2016 340i and getting the Dinan Stage 1 installed in 2 weeks along with their exhaust system. Hopefully it will be a noticeable difference!
Have both and it is very noticeable, enjoy!
      12-02-2017, 07:40 AM   #25
3ToAgree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcosLepre View Post
Have both and it is very noticeable, enjoy!
THanks!!! I just added the M Limited Slip Differential yesterday and so far very impressed with improvement in cornering. Very fluid now and less jerky when turning and coming out of corners. Dinan got pushed out timing wise and will install next week along with a new Bilstein suspension. Looking forward to trying out the Dinan mod. I made a last minute change and added their mid pipe to the exhaust so hoping it will not be tooo loud!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 03:55 PM   #26
3ToAgree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateevans79 View Post
I just installed the Stage 1 on my 2017 BMW 340i.
WOW! This is so worth the money!
I see some people saying they don't feel it...but are driving in comfort mode...

I don't understand that. Put it in Sport or better yet, Sport+ and put your right foot down at 3500 rpm. Try to pull your head off the headrest and tell me that doesn't make a huge difference!

Headed out to VIR this weekend to give it a thorough run through.

But in the 24 hrs that I have had it installed, I love it!
Did you have any check engine light issues after your install?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 10:33 AM   #27
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

I have the Stage 1 elite on my B58 (M240i). First thing I noticed as I drove off the dealership lot was zero hesitation from a dead stop (had the dealer do the install so if there was an issue, it would be between the dealer and Dinan).

After the install performance is noticeably increased. Car is seriously fast from stop to jail speeds. I came out of a 2015 C7 to this car and can say that I see little performance difference between those two cars in straight line acceleration. This car is now "scary" fast. No CEL's. The Sport tuner had issues, but few reports of CEL's w/ the Stage 1 Elite.

Warranty was a consideration, so Dinan was a no brainer in that regard.

Stage 2 is supposed to be out 1st qtr of 2018 (Intake).

I find that I have plenty of power even in comfort mode. I can spice it up a bit further if I move the shift lever to m/s for more aggressive shifting. For scary fast, I go into sport mode.

Still getting 26+ MPG in the city. Drive-ability is great. I am sold on Dinan. When I trade my Mini S next year, I will go w/ the Elite rather than the factory JCW tune.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2017, 02:53 AM   #28
StockLOL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i MPPSK

Are you 8AT and if so do you get any shift hesitation? Or does it work just as good as stock? I’m considering Dinan but have read about this.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 08:19 AM   #29
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockLOL View Post
Are you 8AT and if so do you get any shift hesitation? Or does it work just as good as stock? I’m considering Dinan but have read about this.
I have the ZF 8 speed and experience no shift hesitation at all. If anything the car bangs gears harder after the tune.

In comfort mode, it drives perfectly and the hesitation I had on take-off from a dead stop when the car was stock, is gone now after the tune.

I only use Eco Pro when on the Interstate and for a bit after exiting. Car operates fine in that mode (but again, have not driven in exclusively off the highways).

I could not be happier w/ the Dinan Elite. For as highly as I speak of it, one would think I was a paid spokesman, which I am not. Just a extremely satisfied customer.

Strangely, I try and read all the threads I can on the Dinan Stage 1 and have not encountered any that mentioned shift hesitations due to the Dinan. There have certainly been plenty written about a "lag", "hesitation" or "stumble" w/ the B58 from a dead stop when stock. In fact I have contributed to many of those threads explaining how the Dinan Elite straightened mine out.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 12:28 AM   #30
StockLOL
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
I have the ZF 8 speed and experience no shift hesitation at all. If anything the car bangs gears harder after the tune.

In comfort mode, it drives perfectly and the hesitation I had on take-off from a dead stop when the car was stock, is gone now after the tune.

I only use Eco Pro when on the Interstate and for a bit after exiting. Car operates fine in that mode (but again, have not driven in exclusively off the highways).

I could not be happier w/ the Dinan Elite. For as highly as I speak of it, one would think I was a paid spokesman, which I am not. Just a extremely satisfied customer.

Strangely, I try and read all the threads I can on the Dinan Stage 1 and have not encountered any that mentioned shift hesitations due to the Dinan. There have certainly been plenty written about a "lag", "hesitation" or "stumble" w/ the B58 from a dead stop when stock. In fact I have contributed to many of those threads explaining how the Dinan Elite straightened mine out.
Awesome! Glad it works goo d because I’m getting a Dinan tune too. I’m comparing to some other tunes like JB4 and such. Here is an issue that I recently saw:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1447431

But I like hearing the good reviews because most of the time people only post when they’re having problems so you start getting worried about all these things.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 08:09 AM   #31
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Awesome! Glad it works goo d because I’m getting a Dinan tune too. I’m comparing to some other tunes like JB4 and such. Here is an issue that I recently saw:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1447431

But I like hearing the good reviews because most of the time people only post when they’re having problems so you start getting worried about all these things.
The post, at least how I read was regarding the JB tune. Only reference to Dinan was about the "Sport" tune (not the Stage 1 Elite). The Elite (Stage 1) as I understand it, controls more than just the boost. It controls other engine mapping and makes for a smoother more factory-like performance curve. The Dinan Elite tune is $1399 + install while the other power modules are in the $200-$500 price range.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not denigrating any of the other power modules. For many they provide an economical boost in power/performance w/o any issues. For others, their cars may not be trouble free w/ the power module installed (CEL's, Limp modes, etc.,). Additionally, most have to remove the modules before bringing the car in for service or risk having their car flagged and perhaps lose factory coverage should an engine problem occur.

At my age (mechanical ability level and tolerance for stress), I figured if I just spent $50K on a car; do I want to save $900 for a tune that risks my factory warranty and/or leaves me trying to resolve problems or CEL's that may occur or spend the $900 more for hassle-free/full coverage performance driving?

The Dinan Stage 1 may not be the hottest tune available, it does cover your car during the normal factory warranty period. This tells me the manufacturer is confident enough in their product to back it and your BMW motor w/ a warranty should any damage result. If you use an authorized Dinan dealer to do the install (my BMW dealer is also a Dinan dealer -1 hour labor charge), should I have any issue at all, I just take it in and the dealership handles everything through BMW/Dinan or both.

Being a Mini Cooper owner also (and Dinan is now fully supporting Mini as they do BMW), plenty of the Mini forum tuners are dumping their old power modules for the new Dinan Elite. As a side note, when I trade my Mini next year (mine has a JCW tune), I will opt for the Dinan Elite for $900 rather than spend nearly $2500 for the JCW factory tune again.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2017, 08:32 PM   #32
3ToAgree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

My installers first attempt on my Stage 1 was a bit of disaster as the Dinan unit just didnt work properly. Multiple check engine warnings and huge delays (lots of very basic troubleshooting advice (eg make sure the connectors are firmly pressed) from Dinan with multiple hours in between comms led to almost a week in the shop). Now getting another unit sent out by Dinan so hopefully it will go ok!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 11:40 PM   #33
StockLOL
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
My installers first attempt on my Stage 1 was a bit of disaster as the Dinan unit just didnt work properly. Multiple check engine warnings and huge delays (lots of very basic troubleshooting advice (eg make sure the connectors are firmly pressed) from Dinan with multiple hours in between comms led to almost a week in the shop). Now getting another unit sent out by Dinan so hopefully it will go ok!
Sorry to hear the problems man. Did you have a Dinan approved BMW dealer install it or an independent shop?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 05:24 PM   #34
3ToAgree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to hear the problems man. Did you have a Dinan approved BMW dealer install it or an independent shop?
BMW dealer successfully installed the Stage 1 now. Maybe its some special dealer coding tweaks that need to be made after install as not much else can deviate as it seems fairly straight forward of an install for a specialty shop that specializes in engine / car mods. Nonetheless, the dealer got it and its a noticeable change in quickness vs prior. Happy so far!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 11:29 PM   #35
StockLOL
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
BMW dealer successfully installed the Stage 1 now. Maybe its some special dealer coding tweaks that need to be made after install as not much else can deviate as it seems fairly straight forward of an install for a specialty shop that specializes in engine / car mods. Nonetheless, the dealer got it and its a noticeable change in quickness vs prior. Happy so far!
Awesome! Glad you got it straightened out. How much was install at the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 08:38 AM   #36
DailySleeper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240xi

Should be an hour of shop time
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 08:45 AM   #37
3ToAgree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Awesome! Glad you got it straightened out. How much was install at the dealer?
It was 1.5 hours labor they charged which surprised me as I thought they would charge 2 to 2.5 hours. I cant remember exactly the labor rate but think it was $175/hr. It was an Authorized Dinan BMW dealer. But I can tell you that my specialty shop (who is very experienced with tunes in general) tried and tried to install without error codes and couldnt and all it is a box and few connectors to attach.... eg not much different than hooking up a power supply in a computer so not much can go wrong you would think. Most of the labor appears in the positioning of the box and routing the cables cleanly. So the BMW dealer must do something special at the end around coding or clearing codes etc. Big mystery to me
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 09:25 AM   #38
phinole
Ridin' thru Atlanna
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M Sport Dinan S1

Garage List
2017 BMW 340i  [10.00]
I'm pleased to hear that more people are satisfied with the Dinan Elite for the B58. Not long after I took delivery of my 2017 340i, I read several posts on forums regarding how the Elite was a waste of money, why not get the JB4 for so much less, why not get MPPSK, etc. I can't speak for any of those modifications, but like USA-RET mentioned, if you're spending $50K+ on a car, why not go the extra $800-900 and get the best modification available? The MPPSK is supposedly similar performance, and I have the Dinan FreeFlow exhaust to partner with the Elite tune, which ends up about the same price as the MPPSK.

I, like USA-RET, can sound like a paid spokesman for Dinan, but so far I absolutely love their products and their support. I'm just eagerly awaiting the CAI now as I can't wait to see how the car sounds with that!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 08:47 AM   #39
JustDave
Rep
Drives: F30 340, 986 Boxster S

I just installed mine on my '17 340i. I noticed an immediate gain. Like others have said, it feels crisper across the board and the power delivery is quick.

I also started to notice how much traffic is really around here and people are always in my way.

I'm toying with the idea of an exhaust. Does anyone know if the Msport exhaust from the F30 335 fits the F30 340?

Bought mine from Dinan over Christmas, they had it on sale which made it hard to resist. I installed it myself, took maybe 30 minutes. I work in Home Automation so I'm used to this type of product, just not cars. I'll bet money after a few more, I could install one of these in 10 minutes.

So far I'm very happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 09:43 AM   #40
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It was 1.5 hours labor they charged which surprised me as I thought they would charge 2 to 2.5 hours. I cant remember exactly the labor rate but think it was $175/hr. It was an Authorized Dinan BMW dealer. But I can tell you that my specialty shop (who is very experienced with tunes in general) tried and tried to install without error codes and couldnt and all it is a box and few connectors to attach.... eg not much different than hooking up a power supply in a computer so not much can go wrong you would think. Most of the labor appears in the positioning of the box and routing the cables cleanly. So the BMW dealer must do something special at the end around coding or clearing codes etc. Big mystery to me
When I talked to my BMW Service manager about the install, he mentioned something about coding my car in addition to installing the power module.

Now perhaps the authorized Dinan dealers do something to the car's ECU at the time they do the install to ensure everything works properly. Not sure - exactly what he meant, but mine is flawless.

They do spend some time routing the cables so everything is hidden.

My car was in the shop for nearly 2 hours but I was only charged for the 1 hour ($154) install time as indicated by Dinan. When all was said and done, I paid somewhere in the mid $1600 range for the module, install, shop supplies and tax.
Appreciate 1
s58544.00
      01-12-2018, 05:31 PM   #41
sewhelan9
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe

My initial impression of the Dinan Stage 1 is very positive. Comfort mode is much more usable now and basically feels like Sport used to. The delay in throttle response is gone and the car picks up and goes. Switch it into Sport and you can feel the extra power and the shifts are crisper as well. I have not tried Sport+ yet since the car is still in the break-in period. I only have 700 miles on the new car (440i F36) and the Dinan was installed only a few days ago, but so far I love it and would recommend it, especially since I have a long time to go still under factory warranty. Are there other tuners out there that have higher #'s and cost less, yup, but for the piece of mind and performance, Dinan was the best option for me. That said, I am on the waiting list to be a guinea pig for Cobb if they decide to do an Access Port for the B58.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 09:58 PM   #42
3ToAgree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewhelan9 View Post
My initial impression of the Dinan Stage 1 is very positive. Comfort mode is much more usable now and basically feels like Sport used to. The delay in throttle response is gone and the car picks up and goes. Switch it into Sport and you can feel the extra power and the shifts are crisper as well. I have not tried Sport+ yet since the car is still in the break-in period. I only have 700 miles on the new car (440i F36) and the Dinan was installed only a few days ago, but so far I love it and would recommend it, especially since I have a long time to go still under factory warranty. Are there other tuners out there that have higher #'s and cost less, yup, but for the piece of mind and performance, Dinan was the best option for me. That said, I am on the waiting list to be a guinea pig for Cobb if they decide to do an Access Port for the B58.
I combined mine with a Dinan exhaust and mid-pipe. A great addition if you ever want to change the sound of the car.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2018, 10:01 PM   #43
3ToAgree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinole View Post
I'm pleased to hear that more people are satisfied with the Dinan Elite for the B58. Not long after I took delivery of my 2017 340i, I read several posts on forums regarding how the Elite was a waste of money, why not get the JB4 for so much less, why not get MPPSK, etc. I can't speak for any of those modifications, but like USA-RET mentioned, if you're spending $50K+ on a car, why not go the extra $800-900 and get the best modification available? The MPPSK is supposedly similar performance, and I have the Dinan FreeFlow exhaust to partner with the Elite tune, which ends up about the same price as the MPPSK.

I, like USA-RET, can sound like a paid spokesman for Dinan, but so far I absolutely love their products and their support. I'm just eagerly awaiting the CAI now as I can't wait to see how the car sounds with that!
Just curious, what do you mean by Dinan elite? Mine is the Dinantronics Stage 1 but never heard it called elite? Also, do you know when the CAI will be released?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 10:02 PM   #44
3ToAgree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
I just installed mine on my '17 340i. I noticed an immediate gain. Like others have said, it feels crisper across the board and the power delivery is quick.

I also started to notice how much traffic is really around here and people are always in my way.

I'm toying with the idea of an exhaust. Does anyone know if the Msport exhaust from the F30 335 fits the F30 340?

Bought mine from Dinan over Christmas, they had it on sale which made it hard to resist. I installed it myself, took maybe 30 minutes. I work in Home Automation so I'm used to this type of product, just not cars. I'll bet money after a few more, I could install one of these in 10 minutes.

So far I'm very happy with it.
I would seriously consider the Dinan exhaust with midpipe. The deep growl it produces is one of my favorite mods
Appreciate 0