F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Small Tracking Portal I built and I'd like to share it
GetBMWParts

12-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
benbmw2014
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335xdrive 2014 m sport

Small Tracking Portal I built and I'd like to share it

Hi Guys,
I ordered my first BMW ( 335xi ) in september and just like you folks, I have been tracking my car VIN onto W&W website and the boat on some vessel tracking website. And finally, my car just arrived in Halifax Port in Canada couple days ago. Delivery soon. Yeah.

However, one thing that I found inconvenient was too wait for my VIN to show up on the W&W website. ( I probably did 500 vin search refreshes )
Then after that, I had to get the vessel name to check the boat from some vessel tracking website. What an unproductive activity. And one of my friend was also waiting for his new BMW so he was doing the exact same thing as me.

So for fun, I built a web portal (http://www.whereismynewcar.com) which can basically save the VIN's user and will notify the user by email and through facebook at the moment the saved VINs shows up as beeing loaded on a vessel. ( and basically notification will be send each time the vin status on W&W website is changing )

Then from Whereismynewcar.com portal, you can also have a google map view of the boat just by querying with your VIN, no need to browse another website with the vessel name to get the position.

You can log now with your facebook account on http://www.whereismynewcar.com
And then enter you VIN and "Add VIN to your vehicles" to get notifications.

Give it a shot, Have fun, Feedback\Comments and questions are very welcome. However, remember that I built that very quickly so it has bugs
-BEN

Last edited by benbmw2014; 12-02-2013 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: spelling mistake
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
rayg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435i

Wow that's awesome, nice job! I wish I had this a couple months ago!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
mags
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 435i Luxury Line

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Very nice. Anyway to login without a facebook ID?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
benbmw2014
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335xdrive 2014 m sport

mags, no sorry. I wanted to make my life easier by simply implementing the site with FB Login. The only thing the system will use is your email address associated with your FB account so that it can send you email notification.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0