F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Help please, OEM wheel locks key lost
ARMA SPEED

03-18-2020, 06:14 PM   #1
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 MSport

Help please, OEM wheel locks key lost

Can anyone guide me on what part number do I need to order to replace the key that unlocks the wheel locks on my recently purchased F30 LCI 2017?

I bought the car from a preowned car dealer and the previous owner said that the key was lost. I've searching in realoem.com using my VIN and I get two part numbers, I'm clueless about which one do I need to purchase.

BMW OEM Part # 36132453961 and
BMW OEM Part # 36136792851

I've lost none of my current and previous Bimmers lock keys in the past, so I'm also clueless if these keys are unique or replaceable, so excuse my ignorance.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can guide me. I'm kind of urged to replace this key as new tires are mandatory on this car ASAP.

I'm attaching an actual picture I've just taken of my wheel lock.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 06:49 PM   #2
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

There are different key codes - the dealership usually has all the options.
Your other resort is to pound an oversized socket onto the wheel lock & use a ratchet to remove it. There are some YouTube videos showing this, and even some special sockets to defeat the lock.
Good luck!
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 1
AlexGT419.50
      03-18-2020, 09:07 PM   #3
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
There are different key codes - the dealership usually has all the options.
Your other resort is to pound an oversized socket onto the wheel lock & use a ratchet to remove it. There are some YouTube videos showing this, and even some special sockets to defeat the lock.
Good luck!
Thanks for the guidance, I will take the car to the BMW dealership then
—— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— ——
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 09:15 PM   #4
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 X-dive

thats not a BMW lock...but it can still be removed. you could try and find one of those 'grip' sockets. You know the ones with the really sharpe diagonal teeth that dig into a nut the more you tighten it...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 05:08 AM   #5
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGT View Post
Can anyone guide me on what part number do I need to order to replace the key that unlocks the wheel locks on my recently purchased F30 LCI 2017?

I bought the car from a preowned car dealer and the previous owner said that the key was lost. I've searching in realoem.com using my VIN and I get two part numbers, I'm clueless about which one do I need to purchase.

BMW OEM Part # 36132453961 and
BMW OEM Part # 36136792851

I've lost none of my current and previous Bimmers lock keys in the past, so I'm also clueless if these keys are unique or replaceable, so excuse my ignorance.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can guide me. I'm kind of urged to replace this key as new tires are mandatory on this car ASAP.

I'm attaching an actual picture I've just taken of my wheel lock.
A tire place stripped my key using an impact gun. Took it to a dealer. They matched it up with their key set and ordered a new key for me from McGard who makes this style for BMW. I paid the dealer parts dept $36 and got a call in a week to pick up the new key.

The dealer was able to use their key to remove my wheel locks and replace with a stock bolt so I could change my tires.

The dealer tried to sell me a new set of their spline style wheel locks but at ~$140 it seemed smarter to just replace the McGard key.

If somehow the dealer keys don't fit, like if the previous owner installed an aftermarket set of McGard locks out of the range of BMW keys, you can contact McGard directly. This happens all the time. You can email them closeup photos of your locks on the car and they can figure out which key you need and ship it to you.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 1
AlexGT419.50
      03-20-2020, 09:56 AM   #6
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigade24 View Post
thats not a BMW lock...but it can still be removed. you could try and find one of those 'grip' sockets. You know the ones with the really sharpe diagonal teeth that dig into a nut the more you tighten it...
My BMW wheel locks look the same as OP's pic (with presumably a different key pattern).

They are coded. Taking it to the dealer is your best bet. They'll be able to use their master set to determine which code you have.
      03-20-2020, 03:54 PM   #7
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
My BMW wheel locks look the same as OP's pic (with presumably a different key pattern).

They are coded. Taking it to the dealer is your best bet. They'll be able to use their master set to determine which code you have.
thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 03:57 PM   #8
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
A tire place stripped my key using an impact gun. Took it to a dealer. They matched it up with their key set and ordered a new key for me from McGard who makes this style for BMW. I paid the dealer parts dept $36 and got a call in a week to pick up the new key.

The dealer was able to use their key to remove my wheel locks and replace with a stock bolt so I could change my tires.

The dealer tried to sell me a new set of their spline style wheel locks but at ~$140 it seemed smarter to just replace the McGard key.

If somehow the dealer keys don't fit, like if the previous owner installed an aftermarket set of McGard locks out of the range of BMW keys, you can contact McGard directly. This happens all the time. You can email them closeup photos of your locks on the car and they can figure out which key you need and ship it to you.

Hope this helps!
I appreciate this suggestion. With this Coronavirus quarantine, the BMW Dealership and tire/wheel businesses are closed

So I guess I'd have to wait until everything goes back to normal (hopefully) and try this. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 04:12 PM   #9
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
I appreciate this suggestion. With this Coronavirus quarantine, the BMW Dealership and tire/wheel businesses are closed

So I guess I'd have to wait until everything goes back to normal (hopefully) and try this. Thanks again!
Aren't they essential... they should be open. I mean appointment only or like one mechanic per bay... that should be 6 ft apart per social distancing requirement....I know I was told they open for emergency... ie.... tire repair.... stuff like that.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 04:17 PM   #10
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
Aren't they essential... they should be open. I mean appointment only or like one mechanic per bay... that should be 6 ft apart per social distancing requirement....I know I was told they open for emergency... ie.... tire repair.... stuff like that.
I've received an email from the BMW Dealership today, they shared an emergency number to call in. But to be honest, I'm urged to get these replaced but just because I want to be covered in case of an emergency tire change, so I'm not sure if I should call these days or just wait for a while since this is not my only ride.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 04:48 PM   #11
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
I've received an email from the BMW Dealership today, they shared an emergency number to call in. But to be honest, I'm urged to get these replaced but just because I want to be covered in case of an emergency tire change, so I'm not sure if I should call these days or just wait for a while since this is not my only ride.
Just out of curiosity, in case of aforementioned emergency, what would you change to? F30s don't come with a spare.
      03-20-2020, 05:16 PM   #12
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Yeah...I called America's Tires. They said they open just for emergency...ie tire patching and blown tires.

Anyway not all are open. I just check my local one...close to me.

I got tire repair kit on my car. But I like them professionally patch tho. I'm trying to avoid using slime as much as possible.

Last edited by Gen13 F36; 03-20-2020 at 05:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 08:35 PM   #13
swomerva
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 435i Gran Coupe

I had this issue a couple of months ago and sent a picture to mcgard. $8 later plus shipping and I got those suckers off. A lot easier than cutting them off or smashing a socket on and chancing wheel damage.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 05:50 AM   #14
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps!

Call McGard then. It might just take emailing some photos to them to get the key that you need. Why wait?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 11:14 AM   #15
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Just realized I lost my lock too. I have a similar looking wheel lock set. It shows up on the dealer invoice sticker as a $160 set. McGard is not opened on weekends and dealer was no help as expected. I have no documentation. May try to find a wheel lock removal tool or just a big socket and beat it on there to remove them. I'm pretty sure no one is going to steal my wheels.

Well I found out I have the high security lock set with a spinning ring. Standard wheel lock removal tool will not work.

Last edited by Randy Johnson; 04-11-2020 at 01:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 02:01 PM   #16
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps!

Call McGard then. It might just take emailing some photos to them to get the key that you need. Why wait?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps!

Thing is I don't live in the US, so we don't have McGard in here
—— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— ——
Appreciate 0