F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Knocking noise from steering/absorber.
Extreme Powerhouse

01-07-2013, 05:33 AM   #45
ghinx
Rep
Drives: F30

ok got my car back. they ran some diagnostic tests and checked for all lose joints. nothing suspicious came up.

the regional manager that came and test drove my car did pick up the noise but he considered the noise to be normal as it came up on a few other cars as well including my loaner car. by normal, he meant the car does not pose any serious or safety issues. however, the noise is not by design. he will report the noise back to the factory and hopefully they'd be able to figure something out.

at this point in time there is nothing they could do. if they hear anything from the factory, they'll get in touch with me.

looks like this issue wont be fixed for a very long time. guess im just going to have to wait patiently.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 05:56 AM   #46
Tra08R
Money never sleeps
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 - 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinx View Post
ok got my car back. they ran some diagnostic tests and checked for all lose joints. nothing suspicious came up.

the regional manager that came and test drove my car did pick up the noise but he considered the noise to be normal as it came up on a few other cars as well including my loaner car. by normal, he meant the car does not pose any serious or safety issues. however, the noise is not by design. he will report the noise back to the factory and hopefully they'd be able to figure something out.

at this point in time there is nothing they could do. if they hear anything from the factory, they'll get in touch with me.

looks like this issue wont be fixed for a very long time. guess im just going to have to wait patiently.
WTFI feel angry for you already, and this aint even my problem
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 09:11 AM   #47
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:

That really annoys me hearing what your going through, because I am still a few steps behind you, back to my original statement, I am not sure how they can just say too bad so sad if it is only happening to certain vehicles, and not all of them..
Retired - 2018 - Range Rover Velar SE D240
Retired - 2015 - Mercedes Benz C250d AMG Line W205
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #48
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
he considered the noise to be normal as it came up on a few other cars as well including my loaner car. by normal, he meant the car does not pose any serious or safety issues.
Why is he still in that job? What he should have said is although the noise is NOT NORMAL - and they are doing this to anyone worldwide who's car has any problem they cannot initial find - it does not pose any drivability or safety issues. Provided of course he can prove it.

Of course it is not normal as you posted:
Quote:
the noise is not by design. he will report the noise back to the factory and hopefully they'd be able to figure something out.
I hope he set up a report to BMW Australia. It then goes to AG.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #49
maverick83
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i

Hi guys, new to the forum, my F30 320i is 3 Months old now, and I heard similar noises on my very first trip. At that stage the car had only 500km's on.

It sounds exactly like a steering rack issue, and there's an easy way to replicate the noise with the car at a complete standstill.

Ignition on (car off) turn the wheel left and right in rather quick succession and you can hear the clunk.

I also found this:

And this guy is exactly hitting the rack end, and not very hard...

I've considered taking it in, but as muck as I trust BMW, I don't particularly like the idea of them taking apart my suspension / steering rack... Maybe I'm just "over protective" of my car.

And yes, the Australian cars are built in South Africa...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 01:52 AM   #50
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick83 View Post
For many years.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 03:55 AM   #51
Tra08R
Money never sleeps
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Hi guys, new to the forum, my F30 320i is 3 Months old now, and I heard similar noises on my very first trip. At that stage the car had only 500km's on.

It sounds exactly like a steering rack issue, and there's an easy way to replicate the noise with the car at a complete standstill.

Ignition on (car off) turn the wheel left and right in rather quick succession and you can hear the clunk.

I also found this:

And this guy is exactly hitting the rack end, and not very hard...

I've considered taking it in, but as muck as I trust BMW, I don't particularly like the idea of them taking apart my suspension / steering rack... Maybe I'm just "over protective" of my car.

Not mine, my F30 2012 320d no-line is made in Germany. (no mechanical issue but did have damaged window trims)
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 04:34 AM   #52
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 Xdrive30i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra08R View Post
Not mine, my F30 2012 320d no-line is made in Germany. (no mechanical issue but did have damaged window trims)
Seriously from Germany? What's the 6th & 7th last digits of your VIN? (these are actually letters from what I can gather). Yes, I've been on BMW WebETK recently :-P
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 06:02 AM   #53
blt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sportline

It's been around 1000kms since my steering rack was replaced and I thought I would give everyone an update. While the noise is still there, it is not as bad as before, but not perfect like others without the problem. And it might be my imagination, but I think it is slowly getting worse. Could be due to me driving over the same crappy suburban roads and loosening it up.

I was recently contacted by the service department about a new steering rack which has been designed to fix the problem. They have ordered it from Germany and like the last one, won't arrive for another 3 weeks. Hopefully this will be a permanent fix for those unlucky enough to have the problem. And if it is, we can get back to really enjoying our cars!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 07:00 AM   #54
CrazyLatte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinx

Can I suggest that you challenge him on that. If he doesn't know what the problem is then he is in no position to indicate the issue will not impact driving safety. If its not by design then it's a defect and don't matter how common it is. Many people have rust under the chair. According to his theory this is ok!?

You need to personally escalate this higher!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #55
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
The earlier F30 cars were made in Germany before the SA plant came on line.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #56
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep

When did rosslyn start producing for oz? Around march? So wouldthis issue be just for German builds?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #57
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKau View Post
When did rosslyn start producing for oz? Around march? So wouldthis issue be just for German builds?
Nah, not at all, mine is a Sept Build 12 from SA and has the issue...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #58
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt View Post
It's been around 1000kms since my steering rack was replaced and I thought I would give everyone an update. While the noise is still there, it is not as bad as before, but not perfect like others without the problem. And it might be my imagination, but I think it is slowly getting worse. Could be due to me driving over the same crappy suburban roads and loosening it up.

I was recently contacted by the service department about a new steering rack which has been designed to fix the problem. They have ordered it from Germany and like the last one, won't arrive for another 3 weeks. Hopefully this will be a permanent fix for those unlucky enough to have the problem. And if it is, we can get back to really enjoying our cars!
Fingers crossed for us all
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 03:34 AM   #59
Tra08R
Money never sleeps
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKau View Post
Seriously from Germany? What's the 6th & 7th last digits of your VIN? (these are actually letters from what I can gather). Yes, I've been on BMW WebETK recently :-P
Here
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 03:02 AM   #60
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

as with BLT's comment, and as I am typing this, have just received another email stating that this is a BMW AG definite fix on the steering issue and my new rack should be 3-4 weeks away aswell.. Fingers crossed and let the happy times roll on. :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 03:59 AM   #61
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitallust View Post
as with BLT's comment, and as I am typing this, have just received another email stating that this is a BMW AG definite fix on the steering issue and my new rack should be 3-4 weeks away aswell.. Fingers crossed and let the happy times roll on. :-)
Good luck with it mate. Sounds like a pain for you to retify anything considering the vast distances you must travel. I hate it when i need to take the car back multiple times. Wastes so much time even if i get a loaner.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 09:18 AM   #62
maverick83
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i

Interesting, so SA Cars will have this then...?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 12:51 AM   #63
OuKEnFoLdMX
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1n View Post
Um this may be a silly question but have u guys tried re adjusting the steering wheel position if it makes a difference?

Thats one of the first things i did when i got mine, i've go it positioned lowered and pretty out front towards the drivers seat.
i did the same like you and some time make the clunk noise ang i have to adjust the steering wheel again and noise disapear.

crazy car....
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 07:32 AM   #64
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

I'm thinking if its some positioning issue, glad it worked out for u
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #65
Tra08R
Money never sleeps
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Interesting, so SA Cars will have this then...?
How come it does not say made in South Africa. they ashamed of this fact, or dont want uninformed people to see it?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #66
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
How come it does not say made in South Africa. they ashamed of this fact, or dont want uninformed people to see it?
I don't think it's either. AFAIK BMW is very proud of the Rosslyn plant.
Appreciate 0