F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 2008 Honda Civic Si or 2010 Mazda3 Sport?
proTUNING Freaks

10-09-2016, 04:12 PM   #45
overdrivex
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Miata, 2006 Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh
OP, just drive the BMW you have. Why in the hell would you buy another cheap, unrefined Japanese car, when you have a perfectly good BMW? I drive my '06 325i 160 miles a day, hammer the crap out of it, and have been doing so going on 10 years now. Adding another car as a daily driver will just add purchase cost, maintenance cost, and insurance cost for a 2nd car, when you can spend that money on maintenance for the 328xi. The E90 with the N52 easily reach 200,000 miles with little trouble. Hitting 300,000 miles is not much more costly or difficult. The E90 IS a daily driver...

I've been running high mileage BMWs for the past 28 years. There is no better car to drive long term in my opinion. None of the expensive parts (engine, trans, diff) break if properly cared for.
Its the labor cost that gets me...and how much it costs just to get something fixed. I would rather have an "unrefined Japanese car" because 1.) its cheaper and 2.) i actually find them to be quite fun. With the BMW i just always have this impending doom of "how much is the next repair gonna cost me." But thats just me.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 08:37 PM   #46
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrivex View Post
Its the labor cost that gets me...and how much it costs just to get something fixed. I would rather have an "unrefined Japanese car" because 1.) its cheaper and 2.) i actually find them to be quite fun. With the BMW i just always have this impending doom of "how much is the next repair gonna cost me." But thats just me.
Then get rid of the BMW. It's stupid to buy a car and then not use it. BMWs are just cars, made to be used like any other car. If you don't like the "expense" of owning one, then why do you have it? You actually think owning a second car and driving it is cheaper than owning one car and driving it and repairing it as needed?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 10:58 PM   #47
overdrivex
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Miata, 2006 Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Then get rid of the BMW. It's stupid to buy a car and then not use it. BMWs are just cars, made to be used like any other car. If you don't like the "expense" of owning one, then why do you have it? You actually think owning a second car and driving it is cheaper than owning one car and driving it and repairing it as needed?
Well my second car is a Mazda Miata...and I can't really use that here in the winters so I'm looking for a car that will be cheaper to own and operate that can serve as a primary driver. The Miata is also the autocross and racecar. Oh and no worries, I did get rid of the BMW today...I'm now on the search for a RSX.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 04:40 AM   #48
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post

I recommend NOT following the factory oil change schedule with the maintenance minder. (just like following the BMW recommended oil changes is a bad idea) I do oil changes with full synthetic every 6000 km. Letting the oil level get low will wear out the timing chain. That is one repair you don't want. If oil level is kept at the proper level, the chain should never require replacement.
Why is it a bad idea to follow BMW's recommended oil changes? What proof do you have?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 07:07 AM   #49
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Why is it a bad idea to follow BMW's recommended oil changes? What proof do you have?
The fact that in 2013, BMW went from 24,000 km oil change intervals to 18,000 km intervals because they are having so many sludge problems. And every single BMW tech that I work with says do NOT follow the factory interval. Both dealers here in town recommend 8000 km intervals as soon as the factory warranty is over.

Last edited by MightyMouseTech; 10-11-2016 at 07:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 09:31 AM   #50
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
The fact that in 2013, BMW went from 24,000 km oil change intervals to 18,000 km intervals because they are having so many sludge problems. And every single BMW tech that I work with says do NOT follow the factory interval. Both dealers here in town recommend 8000 km intervals as soon as the factory warranty is over.
I've had the valve cover off and oil pan off and not found a speck of sludge anywhere in the engine.

If there is documented proof, I'd like to see it.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 10-11-2016 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 09:26 PM   #51
WiS3GuY Ey
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Civic
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 01:52 PM   #52
hgtran21
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

civic si, its a daily, who cares about paint
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 03:58 PM   #53
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Most manufacturers put long OCI's to cut cost. Take my 2015 highlander for example, Toyota has 2 year free maintenance and there OCI is 10k. People that follow those OCI's have huge sludge problems. Same goes for BMW. Do you really want to stretch your OCI that far to save a few bucks? If that's the case you shouldn't be driving a BMW. Only a constant blackstone analysis will really tell if you can stretch it out.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 08:53 AM   #54
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
Most manufacturers put long OCI's to cut cost. Take my 2015 highlander for example, Toyota has 2 year free maintenance and there OCI is 10k. People that follow those OCI's have huge sludge problems. Same goes for BMW. Do you really want to stretch your OCI that far to save a few bucks? If that's the case you shouldn't be driving a BMW. Only a constant blackstone analysis will really tell if you can stretch it out.
This is such crap. Sorry, but it is.
Appreciate 0