F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Any interior quality improvements with new MY201x?
Studio RSR

07-16-2013, 01:08 AM   #1
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i, 2020 430i

Any interior quality improvements with new MY201x?

I saw an M-sport line 335i at a dealership in EB II and Black interior with Aluminium Hexagon. The black looked really cheap compared to E90. You open the front arm rest storage compartment and the boundary of that gave a look of some black shirt which has been ironed so many times, that the whiteness has started to show. Overall was pretty disappointed with the interior quality. Even looking much harder I can't find anything like this in the E9x platform.

Aluminium Hexagon trim looked quite similar to Carbon Fiber trim, though I am not sure if that is something factory ordered on a car sitting at the dealership parking lot. I always imagined Al Hex trim to be a lot more elegant and sharp looking.

Now before this thread turns into E90 vs F30 interior battle, I do want to say the following.

Also test drove another 335i with Coral Red interior and that looked quite fabulous inside. I was pleased by the look and feel and it felt a lot better in built even though the black sections seem the same.

Could this be due to the MY? Maybe the 335i with CR was built later than the one with Black interior? Maybe that translates to slight improvement in interior quality.

This cannot be due to sun damage, because this is typically going to be the usage scenario for any car.

E90 vs F30 comparison is out of question because we are in the F30 era. IMHO, as a keen observer of good design and quality, I am disappointed that the step has been slightly backwards.

Final question - has anyone noticed improvement in interior built quality as new Model Years are rolled out?

Any 335i vs 328i interior differences. Likely none!

Thank you guys!

Driving: 2020 540i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa - Dec 2019 BTO - Feb 2020 Delivery
Returned: 2016 535i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa :: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport Min Grey, Coral Red :: 2011 E90 328i Deep Sea Blue, Oyster Dakota
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

a gentle bump

Driving: 2020 540i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa - Dec 2019 BTO - Feb 2020 Delivery
Returned: 2016 535i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa :: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport Min Grey, Coral Red :: 2011 E90 328i Deep Sea Blue, Oyster Dakota
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

MY 2014 will not have interior changes, unless you count the iDrive knob or system to be an interior change.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalls90 View Post
MY 2014 will not have interior changes, unless you count the iDrive knob or system to be an interior change.
Yeah I understand. Maybe the LCI will see some upgrades, not waiting till 2016 though..haha
iDrive knob change is really not much of a change. Concerned about quality of materials more than the layout/design itself.

I love BMWs but this is driving be a little crazy, though I am sure I am not the only one who has lost it all.

My question really is concerning any incremental improvements following complaints or feedback from the market.

On a side note to the ones who don't see how marginally crappy sometimes the F30 interior feels, sit in an F10 and then switch back to F30. Newer car with worse interior quality.

I imagine this is NOT a popular topic amongst the F30 lovers who happily ignore or get over it pretty quickly.

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 02:50 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianboar View Post
My question really is concerning any incremental improvements following complaints or feedback from the market.

On a side note to the ones who don't see how marginally crappy sometimes the F30 interior feels, sit in an F10 and then switch back to F30. Newer car with worse interior quality.
Quality issues typically improve over production without needing to broadcast the changes. That is why a run-out model is usually a better buy than a new model, as normally all the issues are sorted.

Personally I don't agree on the current F30/31/34 models being worse in quality, (I recognize there are some serious build quality issues in some cars) but different and definitely trim/interior colour sensitive. Having been very picky with several 3-series examples, I don't see this drop off in overall quality which many are hung up on. Remember the E9* models looked cheap after the E46, (again very trim sensitive) but in reality they were decent builds for materials and quality. Now, we often use them as the benchmark for perceived BMW quality in the 3-series. Personally I find the F3* models a very refreshing design, get the trim/colour combination to our taste and a good place to be, feels every bit a decent BMW.

But when we compare to a 5-series, then yes we will see a difference, the 5-series is a roll down of the 7-series, (we five drivers get the benefit of that move) it is not a bigger 3-series. We can't compare to the 3-series as it takes a different design approach for a different market. IMO, latest 1 & 3-series models are more akin to each other, more so than thinking a 3 will ever be a small 5.

I was going to buy an F31 wagon to replace my E91 wagon, but decided to go back to a 5-series. I own an F11 wagon and had an F30 for a few days a couple of weeks ago. They are definitely in different classes and aimed at different markets from my perspective.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 06:32 AM   #6
jsedlak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 6spd

I think the interior looks good, but the door panels are very susceptible to punctures.

But I'm also coming from an E46. I do wish the center was setup more like the F10.
      07-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
adge7
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 330i MSport

Personally one of the reasons I skipped E90 generation was because of the interior. Both in terms of design and quality. It did absolutely nothing for me, and I felt much greater quality and style from my E46. F30 feels like a return to some of the design ethos for interiors of BMW including the driver oriented cockpit. F30 wins for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 11:31 PM   #8
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adge7
Personally one of the reasons I skipped E90 generation was because of the interior. Both in terms of design and quality. It did absolutely nothing for me, and I felt much greater quality and style from my E46. F30 feels like a return to some of the design ethos for interiors of BMW including the driver oriented cockpit. F30 wins for me.
That looks like a design preference and has not so much to do with the quality of materials.

What interior color combination/ trim do you have on your F30?

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 06:21 AM   #9
adge7
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 330i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianboar
Quote:
Originally Posted by adge7
That looks like a design preference and has not so much to do with the quality of materials.

What interior color combination/ trim do you have on your F30?
Black on black, with aluminium trim with the piano black accent. Also have the anthracite headliner.
The trim finishes in the F30 are all soft touch and seem well put together. Nice place to spend a few hours.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 07:45 AM   #10
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

I have to agree somewhat with the OP. I was recently in BMW of Manhattan and they have 2 f30 models on the floor - a 328 msport xdrive in EB with a bunch of bmw performance parts (larger wheels, that stripe down the car) and black interior and a 328 sport xdrive (18") Sapphire with Coral interior.

The aluminum trim in the sport felt like real aluminum while the hex in the msport looked and felt like plastic with an "image" of hexagons on the trim. Very odd. I was looking at getting an msport in white as I like the front but I was a bit disappointed about the hex trim. The red interior also looked more upscale especially by the door inserts. I can live with that difference more so than the fake looking hex aluminum trim.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #11
KevRyd
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Xdrive MSport EBII

The "inferior Interior" is far from a fact! the interior is 80% Leather (seating and inserts) along with either brushed alulinum or hex aluminim trim. Soft touch elements on all of the surfaces. Roof liner is Anthracite. Add this to the driver centric setup and overall fresh new look of the F30 and there is no comparrison. If you don't like the standard materials then you have the option to change all the trim to carbon fibre and Alco. Stop complaining, the only way you wont get exactly what you want is if you choose not to.

Kevin

Quote:
Yeah I understand. Maybe the LCI will see some upgrades, not waiting till 2016 though..haha
iDrive knob change is really not much of a change. Concerned about quality of materials more than the layout/design itself.

I love BMWs but this is driving be a little crazy, though I am sure I am not the only one who has lost it all.

I imagine this is NOT a popular topic amongst the F30 lovers who happily ignore or get over it pretty quickly.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #12
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
I saw an M-sport line 335i at a dealership in EB II and Black interior with Aluminium Hexagon. The black looked really cheap compared to E90. You open the front arm rest storage compartment and the boundary of that gave a look of some black shirt which has been ironed so many times, that the whiteness has started to show. Overall was pretty disappointed with the interior quality. Even looking much harder I can't find anything like this in the E9x platform.

Aluminium Hexagon trim looked quite similar to Carbon Fiber trim, though I am not sure if that is something factory ordered on a car sitting at the dealership parking lot. I always imagined Al Hex trim to be a lot more elegant and sharp looking.

Now before this thread turns into E90 vs F30 interior battle, I do want to say the following.

Also test drove another 335i with Coral Red interior and that looked quite fabulous inside. I was pleased by the look and feel and it felt a lot better in built even though the black sections seem the same.

Could this be due to the MY? Maybe the 335i with CR was built later than the one with Black interior? Maybe that translates to slight improvement in interior quality.

This cannot be due to sun damage, because this is typically going to be the usage scenario for any car.

E90 vs F30 comparison is out of question because we are in the F30 era. IMHO, as a keen observer of good design and quality, I am disappointed that the step has been slightly backwards.

Final question - has anyone noticed improvement in interior built quality as new Model Years are rolled out?

Thank you guys!
No interior differences in the 328 vs 335, and should be none from '13 to '14 although they might get a little better at putting things together, something I found when driving '12's vs 13's.

What you experienced was likely just car to car variation. They can also be built at both the SA and Germany plants, some debate the quality of each plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
I have to agree somewhat with the OP. I was recently in BMW of Manhattan and they have 2 f30 models on the floor - a 328 msport xdrive in EB with a bunch of bmw performance parts (larger wheels, that stripe down the car) and black interior and a 328 sport xdrive (18") Sapphire with Coral interior.

The aluminum trim in the sport felt like real aluminum while the hex in the msport looked and felt like plastic with an "image" of hexagons on the trim. Very odd. I was looking at getting an msport in white as I like the front but I was a bit disappointed about the hex trim. The red interior also looked more upscale especially by the door inserts. I can live with that difference more so than the fake looking hex aluminum trim.
Hex is real metal, I had it off the car and you can see it and feel it clearly. It is also much cooler to the touch than the rest of the plastic.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #13
64-bit
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 Ford Raptor - On Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianboar

Thank you guys!
I was in the same boat as you were till a drove a 328i with blck dash and redline built in SA, everything was cracking, felt very cheap and made the interior look very very small, and that high gloss is easy to scratch + show off dust like nothing else
Got a 335i M-Sport with hex and blue line, the car is SOLID, no cracking the the trim is perfect.

If u decide to get M-Sport with coral red interior then get silver or blk as exterior color with black trim, as the blue strip may be too much of a mix

Btw, my car was build in Germany - Euro delivery
      07-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #14
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevRyd View Post
The "inferior Interior" is far from a fact! the interior is 80% Leather (seating and inserts) along with either brushed alulinum or hex aluminim trim. Soft touch elements on all of the surfaces. Roof liner is Anthracite. Add this to the driver centric setup and overall fresh new look of the F30 and there is no comparrison. If you don't like the standard materials then you have the option to change all the trim to carbon fibre and Alco. Stop complaining, the only way you wont get exactly what you want is if you choose not to.

Kevin

There is a difference between a Steelcase leather chair for $1000 vs. a Staples Full-grain Leather chair which can be had for $250-$300. Just talking about the leather, forget the assembly/ridity/ergonomics and functionality.

I would totally understand if there are people out there who cannot tell the difference. The difference is there, the word 80%-100% leather has no meaning.

With F30 we are talking more about the soft plastic elements and dash materials. Leather is quite alright on the seats at least. Once again design aspects like driver centric dash and anthracite headliner have nothing to do with the quality of materials used on the dash. Buttons and knobs somewhat hollow to touch than previous generations but really no complains here.

It is easy to stop complaining (not that easy to stop noticing and ignoring it, some people are incredibly good at it). Clearly there is no alternative to an F30 for several other things it offers in its class. Sorry but interior quality is NOT one of them. Talking about BMW, have you spent some time sitting in the F10 cabin? I imagine you have also gone though E90 and E46 generations, before you are making that assessment? If so, you probably have a uniquely well built car.

For those who say F30 is still an entry level car and can get away with a comparison with built quality of Civic and Accord are clearly joking

Last edited by bavarianboar; 07-18-2013 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #15
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
No interior differences in the 328 vs 335, and should be none from '13 to '14 although they might get a little better at putting things together, something I found when driving '12's vs 13's.

What you experienced was likely just car to car variation. They can also be built at both the SA and Germany plants, some debate the quality of each plant.

Hex is real metal, I had it off the car and you can see it and feel it clearly. It is also much cooler to the touch than the rest of the plastic.
Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.
I hope that is only car to car and build location subtle differences.

Hex felt good to touch on F30 but I think it looks too busy the way that design is adapted in it current form. Personal preference of course. I faintly remember how clean the Al hexagon trim was on the E90s, which I might be confusing with something aftermarket. That is an old story though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64-bit View Post
I was in the same boat as you were till a drove a 328i with blck dash and redline built in SA, everything was cracking, felt very cheap and made the interior look very very small, and that high gloss is easy to scratch + show off dust like nothing else
Got a 335i M-Sport with hex and blue line, the car is SOLID, no cracking the the trim is perfect.

If u decide to get M-Sport with coral red interior then get silver or blk as exterior color with black trim, as the blue strip may be too much of a mix

Btw, my car was build in Germany - Euro delivery
Thanks! That is a bit reassuring.

I plan to go with the chrome accent, with Anthracite trim, the Aluminum Hexagon Trim does not look that great IMHO (also personal opinion). Thankfully I can get that with CR interior leather. I plan to order my car to be build in Germany too, fingers crossed on which animal's leather I get.

Last edited by bavarianboar; 07-18-2013 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #16
KevRyd
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Iv'e not owned a e9x but I have driven one on many occasions. I have the MSport with sport seats and the leather in this car is on par or better than the leather in the previous BMW's. its not Bently quality but inside it's relative segment it is very good qaulity, same with the other components. The Msort also comes with an upgraded steering wheel and the leather quality is much better than the standard. I am also confused by your statement about build quality? Fitment is a completely different issue than component quality.

Kevin

Quote:
There is a difference between a Steelcase leather chair for $1000 vs. a Staples Full-grain Leather chair which can be had for $250-$300. Just talking about the leather, forget the assembly/ridity/ergonomics and functionality.

I would totally understand if there are people out there who cannot tell the difference. The difference is there, the word 80%-100% leather has no meaning.

It is hard to stop complaining but clearly there is no alternative to an F30 for several other things it offers in its class. Sorry but interior quality is NOT one of them. Have you spent some time sitting in the F10 cabin? I imagine you have also gone though E90 and E46 generations, before you are making that assessment? If so, you probably have a uniquely well built car.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #17
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevRyd View Post
Iv'e not owned a e9x but I have driven one on many occasions. I have the MSport with sport seats and the leather in this car is on par or better than the leather in the previous BMW's. its not Bently quality but inside it's relative segment it is very good qaulity, same with the other components. The Msort also comes with an upgraded steering wheel and the leather quality is much better than the standard. I am also confused by your statement about build quality? Fitment is a completely different issue than component quality.

Kevin
Thanks, yeah I should say quality of materials and not build quality. You are right, that mainly concerns the fitment and not materials themselves.

Guess it was too late for me to have edited my post with more explanation. I was not much concerned with the leather itself apart from the center console that mentioned in my first post. Could be just that specific car. But it is more about the dash materials in true sense.

The knobs for the turn signals and wipers seem a slight step backwards too, perhaps to make them lighter, and not as good to touch.

I think I have already beaten this to death.

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #18
KevRyd
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I can see how you would feel that way. The center console components are a little harder plastic than the rest but I think that is for durability. The memory buttons I think have to be that composition or the touch sensitivity would be lost. I agree I do have al little bit of a burr on the seam of the signal arm. Overall I like the fitment and quality.

Kevin

Quote:
Thanks, yeah I should say quality of materials and not build quality. You are right, that mainly concerns the fitment and not materials themselves.

Guess it was too late for me to have edited my post with more explanation. I was not much concerned with the leather itself apart from the center console that mentioned in my first post. Could be just that specific car. But it is more about the dash materials in true sense.

The knobs for the turn signals and wipers seem a slight step backwards too, perhaps to make them lighter, and not as good to touch.

I think I have already beaten this to death.

Last edited by KevRyd; 07-18-2013 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0