F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Clear bra?
proTUNING Freaks

08-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
jpoet
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Question Clear bra?

My dealer recommended that I get a clear bra applied to my car. They didn't even care if I got it through them, they just recommended it in general.

I would love to see some pictures and read the thoughts of those that have clear bras on their cars.
      08-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
cjs033
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i Sport Line

I have it on mine...dealer installed to protect against stone chips etc...can't even see it really unless you look really close. I'll try to post some pics of it soon.
Cheers

2012 BMW 335i Sedan Sport Line, Mineral Grey Metallic, 35% tint, premium package, sport suspension
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
nmduke2001
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-Sport

I got it on mine. It's a 3-M Scotchgard film. They put it on the hood, front bumper and mirrors. Can't even see it unless you are really looking for it.

btw...are you from New Mexico? Are you getting it at Sandia?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
jpoet
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
I got it on mine. It's a 3-M Scotchgard film. They put it on the hood, front bumper and mirrors. Can't even see it unless you are really looking for it.

btw...are you from New Mexico? Are you getting it at Sandia?
Yes, I live in Albuquerque. I have an appointment at the Tint & Trim factory. Before I even took delivery of my car, I had visited a few tint shops around town and deciding on them. Turns out they are who Sandia uses to do the work.

Getting it through Sandia is pretty much the same price, but the Tint Factory is convienent for me, so I just decided to go there directly.

I am going to have 3M Crystalline put on the windows at the same time. I am trying to decide if I should have them do the moon roof too.

I would consider getting Opti-Coat instead of the bra, but I don't know of anyone in town that does that.
      08-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
Dave340
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3

I had the dealer put on Roadblock by Autobahnd when I picked up my F30 back in March. It was a Thermoplastic Urethane with Acrylic adhesive. It cost about $650 to protect the bumper, leading edge of the hood and side mirrors.

Just drove ~3,000 miles r/t to Florida and it worked great! I went through at least 2 paving zones it was getting blasted from the loose aggregate and not one paint chip! I think it was worth every penny since my SAAB 9-5 has 140K miles and the front bumper and hood has so many paint chips along with sand blasting look on the front bumper.

As for the look it does take some time to get use to, but as I look at the alternative it is very acceptable.

I would not recommend for drivers that do not plan to keep their vehicles long term.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
nmduke2001
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoet View Post
Yes, I live in Albuquerque. I have an appointment at the Tint & Trim factory. Before I even took delivery of my car, I had visited a few tint shops around town and deciding on them. Turns out they are who Sandia uses to do the work.

Getting it through Sandia is pretty much the same price, but the Tint Factory is convienent for me, so I just decided to go there directly.

I am going to have 3M Crystalline put on the windows at the same time. I am trying to decide if I should have them do the moon roof too.

I would consider getting Opti-Coat instead of the bra, but I don't know of anyone in town that does that.
I didn't find anyone in town that does the opti-coat.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Do it yourself. If you have any experience with applying sealants you'll be find doing Opti Coat. Of course Opti Coat doesn't really protect against chips like a film will, but it also doesn't yellow, isn't visible and doesn't cost nearly as much. I'm surprised you can't find anyone in ABQ though, maybe there's someone in Santa Fe?

These guys claim to be in ABQ:
http://xpertautodetailers.com/FAQ/Op...on=albuquerque
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #8
nmduke2001
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Do it yourself. If you have any experience with applying sealants you'll be find doing Opti Coat. Of course Opti Coat doesn't really protect against chips like a film will, but it also doesn't yellow, isn't visible and doesn't cost nearly as much. I'm surprised you can't find anyone in ABQ though, maybe there's someone in Santa Fe?

These guys claim to be in ABQ:
http://xpertautodetailers.com/FAQ/Op...on=albuquerque
Thanks for finding that. I looked up the phone number and it looks like it is a national service that then sets the appointment with a local detailer. I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #9
cchukan
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury

how do you guys wash your cars?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 01:02 AM   #10
JUSKIDN
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 EBII 328i M Sport

please post some close up pics of the clear bra please
      09-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #11
nmduke2001
Rep

I'll try to get a picture or two of the bra tomorrow or Friday.
Appreciate 0