F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > door handle removal? Has anyone removed one?
Studio RSR

05-29-2015, 02:22 PM   #1
mattesonb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40I

door handle removal? Has anyone removed one?

I am going to begin wrapping my 15 335i next week and the only part of the car i'm not sure how to remove yet is the door handles.

Is anyone familiar with the process? Is it the same as the previous generation?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2018, 02:46 PM   #2
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

For anyone who needs to do a outer door handle swap, I couldn't find any DIY tips for a F30/32:

I had to remove the front door handle when I did a door swap.
The handle is easy to take off, similar to the previous generation BMW's. Held in by a single hex screw under the rubber seals.

But getting the handle back on was a bit tricky. There is a spring loaded latch that the handle tabs needs to slot into.
You need a hook to pull the latch and push in the handle tabs at the same time.
The latch is sort of L shaped, I made a loop with a rip tie and hooked it onto the latch protrusion at the top and managed to pull the latch and push the handle tabs into the latch. Once in don't pull the handle otherwise the handle will come undone again.
I didn't unclip the LED light as it feels it can fall inside the door.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 11:59 AM   #3
alainv1029
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xDrive GT Bootmod3

Just found this thread after hours of research. I noticed the other night that one of my door led's wasn't working and after putting a flashlight on the underside of the door handle I realized the led wasn't even there. So I pulled the door handle and found it sitting just behind the door handle latch just inside. Now my problem is that I cannot figure out how to put the led into the slot on the smaller cap of the door handle and push it back in. Would anyone know a trick? I've seen several youtube vids and it looked much simpler than what I'm dealing with. Any tips (maybe with pics) would be much appreciated.

At this point, I had to put the door handle back together without the led. Just so I can drive the car.

Thanks