F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Opticoat vs Ceramic Pro
Studio RSR

10-29-2013, 06:45 AM   #1
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Opticoat vs Ceramic Pro

Hi all,

I was decided on Opticoat until AMJAM posted about Ceramic Pro today

Rather that clog up that thread, anyone else had any practical experience or done the research? I found a place in Perth doing Ceramic Pro, but the website has so many spelling mistakes it's embarrassing. Now I know that shouldn't turn you off, but...

So, interested in views and impressions in getting the best paint protection for my new car to be...
      10-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

I don't think you need a masters degree to be a good detailer, if they have a good rep, i say give them a go.

Opticoat is great, and so is Ceramic Pro, but the difference in hardness etc is imo negligible. What matters most is how the paint is prepped. Find the best detailer in your area and go with his recommendations.
      10-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Simon,
Not wanting to confuse you further, if you haven't yet made a firm decision on Opticoat, which is terrific, I can vouch for Wolf's Chemicals Hard Body. It is a true sealant and it works exactly as claimed.

Said to last between 18 months & 2 years, it's been on my 328i for 1 year now and it still works as effectively today as it did on day 1.

Cheers
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
KT_F31_EBII
First Time Bimmer
Australia
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport EB II

If you intend to do some post paint protection like waxing your car, Opticoat probably won't be that effective as it will basically be wasting your product.

I have opticoat on my F31, beads and clean very easily. I wash my car only and i use Duragloss Aquawax to dry my car while is still wet just to put a thin layer of protection but knowing it won't stick on the opticoat for long, other sealant will probably work ok.

Please check with ceramic pro whether you can apply wax afterward.

AMJAM mentioned to me in the BMW Show of Excellent Day that Ceramic Pro gives better appearance than Opticoat which is slightly duller.

Ordered Due August 2017: 2017 Audi A4 AVANT 2.0 TFSI Quattro MY17 S-Line, Exclusive Nogaro Blue
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
pmunger
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Another option - Cquartz Finest

http://www.detailparadise.com.au/sho...Cquartz-Finest

I am happy with it, the car looks great.
      10-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
AMJAM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpine 328I MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
Hi all,

I was decided on Opticoat until AMJAM posted about Ceramic Pro today

Rather that clog up that thread, anyone else had any practical experience or done the research? I found a place in Perth doing Ceramic Pro, but the website has so many spelling mistakes it's embarrassing. Now I know that shouldn't turn you off, but...

So, interested in views and impressions in getting the best paint protection for my new car to be...
Hey Simon,

Email Scott at Superior Shine he we will talk to you and answer any questions you have. I am not sure of who does it in Perth and I fact if I remember correctly there 2 guys in Perth that do it. Scott is one of the best so I would expect that he only partners with the best in other states
      10-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
AMJAM
Captain
Australia
Rep

For reference my car is the only F30 I have seen that has the shiny black plastic on the 2 doors (B Pillar) with no marring or swirls. Scott achieved the same thing on my F10
      10-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #8
AMJAM
Captain
Australia
Rep

The last thing I will say that convinced me is that ceramic pro is layerable which will give you a greater depth of shine. It also has a lifetime warranty. I think at the end of the day all of these products are great and I am sure you will be happy with whichever one you choose
      10-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #9
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Thanks guys, will contact Scott and have a chat...

This is a whole new world to me, so I have no idea who the 'good' detainers are and who aren't , so can only go on recommendations and gut.
      10-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #10
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: The Dark Side VAG TDI Biturbo

Can someone enlighten me how much it cost to do them?? Assuming for new car(Paint correction still needed?)? and the cost of a used car? which needs paint corrections maybe.

Alot have quoted like $500 on average for opticoat but I'm assuming thats just paint protection without any paint correction(Generally for new cars). I would assume paint correction would cost about $400-$500 depending how bad the paint is(generally for used cars)?

Please help to clarify this cost?
Now: BMW X5 F15 M50d
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #11
KT_F31_EBII
First Time Bimmer
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitan
Can someone enlighten me how much it cost to do them?? Assuming for new car(Paint correction still needed?)? and the cost of a used car? which needs paint corrections maybe.

Alot have quoted like $500 on average for opticoat but I'm assuming thats just paint protection without any paint correction(Generally for new cars). I would assume paint correction would cost about $400-$500 depending how bad the paint is(generally for used cars)?

I had my F31 opticoat on paint and plastic with outer wheels with stage 1 polishing by David at reflect effect, parramatta.

Cost about $750 all up. Unfortunately my bloody b pillar loves swirly. My car is new in august but opticoat a month later. BMW Sydney delivered my car with those b pillar swirls.

Hope it helps

Ordered Due August 2017: 2017 Audi A4 AVANT 2.0 TFSI Quattro MY17 S-Line, Exclusive Nogaro Blue
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 09:25 PM   #12
AMJAM
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitan View Post

It depends on the car and customer. I would talk to Scott at Superior Shine flick him an email. Scott's prices include stage 1 paint correction. Some cars need stage 2 and 3 as well. My car needed a few stages especially the B Pillars thanks to my BMW dealer buggering them. It took Scott over an hour just to get those right. I don't know Scott is an artist I wouldn't use anyone else everyone I have referred him to has been bowled over by the results. The other thing is he comes to you which just makes life so easy as the coating needs at least 6 hours to cure. Longer if you want to layer it up which you can.
      10-29-2013, 10:08 PM   #13
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT_F31_EBII View Post
I had my F31 opticoat on paint and plastic with outer wheels with stage 1 polishing by David at reflect effect, parramatta.

Cost about $750 all up. Unfortunately my bloody b pillar loves swirly. My car is new in august but opticoat a month later. BMW Sydney delivered my car with those b pillar swirls.

Hope it helps
Thx hmm $750 for a wagon is not a bad price!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJAM View Post
It depends on the car and customer. I would talk to Scott at Superior Shine flick him an email. Scott's prices include stage 1 paint correction. Some cars need stage 2 and 3 as well. My car needed a few stages especially the B Pillars thanks to my BMW dealer buggering them. It took Scott over an hour just to get those right. I don't know Scott is an artist I wouldn't use anyone else everyone I have referred him to has been bowled over by the results. The other thing is he comes to you which just makes life so easy as the coating needs at least 6 hours to cure. Longer if you want to layer it up which you can.

Hmmm I'm more inclne to the ceremic coating. How much did sam charged you if you dont mind me asking.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 10:12 PM   #14
KT_F31_EBII
First Time Bimmer
Australia
Rep

You still need to wash the car as normal even after applying any coating.

I left the car overnight in the shop to cure as I can only park on street.

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 10:49 PM   #15
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT_F31_EBII View Post
You still need to wash the car as normal even after applying any coating.

I left the car overnight in the shop to cure as I can only park on street.
Yea i know that you still need to do the regular washing but with less elbow grease. And NO more waxing every 3-6 months depending on wax quality used.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 10:57 PM   #16
AMJAM
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitan View Post
Thx hmm $750 for a wagon is not a bad price!

Hmmm I'm more inclne to the ceremic coating. How much did sam charged you if you dont mind me asking.
I would highly recommend it. My F10 was almost $900 because the dealer messed up the paintwork so bad it took almost 3 days to fix. He also did a coating on the leather.

The F30 was a fair amount less but that also took into account repeat business in the same 12 months.

If you tell him you are a referral from me he might look after you a bit more. When you speak to Scott just tell him you a referral from James with the White BMW
      10-30-2013, 02:13 AM   #17
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJAM View Post
If you tell him you are a referral from me he might look after you a bit more. When you speak to Scott just tell him you a referral from James with the White BMW
LOL, I was wondering what his response was going to be when I said "AMJAM told me to call!". If he doesn't look after us a bit more, I'm sure he'll look after you for next time!
      10-31-2013, 12:39 AM   #18
TWD
Australia
Rep
Drives: All sorts of Cars

There is no "BEST" option.

It's case by case...and to be honest, MOST of them will look similar to the average person.

Our F30 Hard Body packages are $600 and include proper decontamination and single stage paint correction. Every single F30 I've seen has the B pillar swirls. They always need correction. Having said that, we seal the entire exterior paintwork include plastics and wheels & exhaust tips as well

So many people think that paint protection is a magical coating that means you'll never have to wash/maintain your paintwork ever again - NOT TRUE!
It simply assists in maintaining a high standard of appearance. Yes, you'll still get scratches, swirls, etching, etc, etc and over time the sealant/coating etc will wear off.

There are pro's and con's for each of the sealants/coatings out there...best to have a look at some examples and talk to your detailer about what you're looking to achieve. Simon, I'm happy to help out if you need any assistance
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 12:46 AM   #19
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD View Post
So many people think that paint protection is a magical coating that means you'll never have to wash/maintain your paintwork ever again - NOT TRUE!
It simply assists in maintaining a high standard of appearance. Yes, you'll still get scratches, swirls, etching, etc, etc and over time the sealant/coating etc will wear off.
Thanks TWD, yes, I realise this and am not after a hands free solution at all, just something to maintain the "new car = good paintwork" and EBII look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD View Post
There are pro's and con's for each of the sealants/coatings out there...best to have a look at some examples and talk to your detailer about what you're looking to achieve. Simon, I'm happy to help out if you need any assistance
I don't have a detailer to talk to and I don't belong to any car clubs, so am a bit of a fish out of water with regards to this, so Google and this forum are my best friends

I'll PM you some contact details.
      10-31-2013, 01:30 AM   #20
MadeInSweden
Rep
Drives: Nissan GT-R

Here is my GT-R with CP earlier this week. 2 layers of 9H and a top coating with CP light.

I will do Ceramic Pro on my my EBII F31 in a couple of weeks. Will post some pictures when it's done
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 01:46 AM   #21
SimonB
Australia
Rep

TWD, can't PM you - you need to make some space

MadeInSweden, that would be great, thanks.

Last edited by SimonB; 10-31-2013 at 02:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 01:57 AM   #22
KT_F31_EBII
First Time Bimmer
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInSweden
Here is my GT-R with CP earlier this week. 2 layers of 9H and a top coating with CP light.

I will do Ceramic Pro on my my EBII F31 in a couple of weeks. Will post some pictures when it's done
Are u from Sydney? I am taking the exclusive club of f31 in EBII! Just kidding. Welcome to the f31 club

Appreciate 0