F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Still have questions about the 2012 BMW 3 Series (F30)? Ask us.
GetBMWParts
Closed Thread

11-15-2011, 01:37 PM   #45
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

how is steering feel?
      11-15-2011, 01:42 PM   #46
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Most of your questions - any you have not seen answered already in various BMW press material - can likely only be answered only by BMW employees who worked on the car. Perhaps they will release more technical information or videos as time goes on.

To me it was clear from the beginning of the thread that southlight was expecting mostly questions regarding the equipment the car will come with. I don't know why you needed to make it sound like asking such questions was some how shallow. It sounds to me like you are just looking for a way to belittle people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E39hijinks View Post
Surprised at all the shallow questions... well maybe I'm not.

Anyway...

Lets learn about the core of the car and its engineering evolution rather than obsess over whether or not you can stream bluetooth audio.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 01:56 PM   #47
cmk227
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Goal: Another ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmadonna View Post
Will the U.S. get any diesel options? If so any chance that it would be coupled with x-drive?
South,

Could you please answer the diesel question and if manual would be an option. ?

Thnks,

Carlos

14 Lexus GX460 & 14 Lexus ES300H
14 BMW 528d Touring Estate - UK
Previous M's: 11 BMW M3 JZB ZCP 6MT, 02 BMW M3 Conv 6MT & 02 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #48
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk227 View Post
South,

Could you please answer the diesel question and if manual would be an option. ?

Thnks,

Carlos
I will as soon as I have the definite answer.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 02:17 PM   #49
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqpolo View Post
If keyless start aka key in your pocket is standard, what does the optional Comfort Access do?
Passive lock/unlock. I.e. you can lock/unlock the doors without pushing a button on the fob.

Come to think of it, I wonder if F30 adds sensors to the rear doors, ala E60 and F10, and unlike E90 had? (This is probably already answered somewhere).
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 02:36 PM   #50
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqpolo View Post
If keyless start aka key in your pocket is standard, what does the optional Comfort Access do?
I think it allows you to unlock and lock the car from touching the handle...doesnt seem like its worth it if the price is the same as it is currently
      11-15-2011, 02:48 PM   #51
BAMxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
South,

Regarding MSport - what interior options will there be?

I know we've already seen the blue interior. But, will M Sport be similar to the Sport Line, except whereas with that line the interior options carry the red theme, M Sport will carry the blue theme? I.e. blue stitching on the seats, door, and wheel, even when you order Black leather?
I'm struggling with the difference between sport line and adding the m sport pack. Can/would one buy a sport line and get the m-sport pack on it as well?
      11-15-2011, 03:55 PM   #52
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

From a BMW perspective you have to understand that the first time journalists will spend with the F30 the focus will be on one subject and one subject only - The F30.

No one will answer your questions relating to Touring , Coupe , 4er and definitely not the M3. Because it is not the time to talk about them as the spotlight is on the 3er Sedan.

BMW have people who do not like journalists "straying off topic" Because you cannot answer even though you would like to. Off topic questions sometimes make personel very cagey and uncomfortable especially when a minder is next to them to make sure you do not stray off topic.

Another aspect is that not all markets are finalized so because it is a world-wide event the best place to find definite answers in other market-related questions will be at that markets press-launch for final specifications.

In regards to European models relating to Diesel - the 330d / 335d will be unveiled in Geneva this March. In regards to US diesel with a manual - When the diesel (Active Hybrid comes first) It will not be offered with a manual as BMW's current US diesels do not come with a manual.
      11-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #53
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
From a BMW perspective you have to understand that the first time journalists will spend with the F30 the focus will be on one subject and one subject only - The F30.

No one will answer your questions relating to Touring , Coupe , 4er and definitely not the M3. Because it is not the time to talk about them as the spotlight is on the 3er Sedan.

BMW have people who do not like journalists "straying off topic" Because you cannot answer even though you would like to. Off topic questions sometimes make personel very cagey and uncomfortable especially when a minder is next to them to make sure you do not stray off topic.

Another aspect is that not all markets are finalized so because it is a world-wide event the best place to find definite answers in other market-related questions will be at that markets press-launch for final specifications.

In regards to European models relating to Diesel - the 330d / 335d will be unveiled in Geneva this March. In regards to US diesel with a manual - When the diesel (Active Hybrid comes first) It will not be offered with a manual as BMW's current US diesels do not come with a manual.
I think it matters who is doing the reviewing...business week and consumer digest will probably get luxuary or modern while car and driver and road and track will get sport...
      11-15-2011, 04:09 PM   #54
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Okay, will ED be available from day 1 on the sedan?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 04:43 PM   #55
igom3
Major
Rep
Drives: 02 E46M3 15 F80 M3 16 X5 35d

Garage List
2016 X5 35d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 E46 M3  [0.00]
335 Diesel In the future? Thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 05:26 PM   #56
bimmerJP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335i
Location: Texas, the United States of America, Planet Earth, Universe

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post

That is really disappointing....
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 05:32 PM   #57
SIN_CITY_TROLL
Livin the Dream!
United_States
Rep
Drives: EVERYTHING

Quote:
Originally Posted by E39hijinks View Post
Surprised at all the shallow questions... well maybe I'm not.

Anyway...

What is the percentage increase of torsional rigidity over outgoing models for the coupe, sedan, and convertible?

How has this increase been met? Use of ultra high-strength (as opposed to high-strength) exotic steels as seen in the new C-Class, E-Class, Mitsubishi Galant, or even the new 5-Series?

Is there an increased use of aluminum in the suspension?

Has unsprung weight been reduced?

What new passive safety features have been implemented?

Has the coefficient of drag been reduced? If so, by how much?

Has wind noise been reduced?

Has center of gravity been lowered?

Are the brakes carryovers or will multi-piston calipers be carried over?

Are there any changes to the rear subframe design, if so what and why?

Lets learn about the core of the car and its engineering evolution rather than obsess over whether or not you can stream bluetooth audio.

+1, Those are great questions that I have not received the info on yet. I will post when I do.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #58
SIN_CITY_TROLL
Livin the Dream!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
You don't. Just like with comfort access today, the fob battery is not rechargeable and must be replaced when it dies. Today's cars without comfort access do have a rechargeable battery, but since there will no longer be an ignition slot for the key at all, that feature will go away.

(BTW, just in case anyone thinks the above is incorrect, please, I beg you, just google first, ok?)
You are correct and incorrect at the same time. It really depends on the year and model.

On the 2011 and older 1,3,5 series, WITH comfort access, you will have cell battery that you must replace. WITHOUT comfort access, the key will self charge by plugging in the ignition.

With the new key design (the larger ones), such as the 11+ 5,6,7 & x3 series with our without comfort access, there is no replaceable battery. The system has a rechargable key that you put up against the steering column.

The trend will continue where in the future, replaceable batteries will no longer be a factor or inconvenience.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 05:42 PM   #59
SIN_CITY_TROLL
Livin the Dream!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
I think it allows you to unlock and lock the car from touching the handle...doesnt seem like its worth it if the price is the same as it is currently
Yes it is only lock and unlock with comfort access (I agree this should be standard) However, there is a new option coming out that will integrate the comfort access key to also open your trunk or hatch by waving your foot under the rear bumper.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 05:57 PM   #60
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92n54t View Post
Yes it is only lock and unlock with comfort access (I agree this should be standard) However, there is a new option coming out that will integrate the comfort access key to also open your trunk or hatch by waving your foot under the rear bumper.
ahhh, so that(foot trunk waive) feature will also be included in comfort access...didnt think they could charge the same when the fob isnt needed to start the car anymore
      11-15-2011, 06:05 PM   #61
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
Is the wagon coming to the US?

Please tell me Audi won't have the only semi affordable luxury wagon in the states.
Yes? No? Undecided? F you US, you'll take the 3er GT as a replacement wagon and like it?

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 06:10 PM   #62
SIN_CITY_TROLL
Livin the Dream!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ahhh, so that(foot trunk waive) feature will also be included in comfort access...didnt think they could charge the same when the fob isnt needed to start the car anymore
This isn't 100% official yet. This will be first released on the 5 series.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #63
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This isn't 100% official yet. This will be first released on the 5 series.
It's 100% official.

See the "hands-free trunk opening function" in the recently revealed ordering guide - http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609252
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 06:45 PM   #64
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
Yes? No? Undecided? F you US, you'll take the 3er GT as a replacement wagon and like it?
I've tried getting a clear answer on this and am either ignored or told that BMW can only handle one thing at a time. There does appear to be substantial evidence that we will be getting the N20 328iT, but I haven't heard definite news on when, whether a three pedal option will be available in the US (unlike Audi) or any details about xi and the availability of a proper sports suspension on awd models.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #65
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I've tried getting a clear answer on this and am either ignored or told that BMW can only handle one thing at a time. There does appear to be substantial evidence that we will be getting the N20 328iT, but I haven't heard definite news on when, whether a three pedal option will be available in the US (unlike Audi) or any details about xi and the availability of a proper sports suspension on awd models.
I just hope to have the option in the future. Not 100% concerned if a manual is offered. Would be very happy if they finally gave more of a choice than just a 328i/xi. Atleast offer a 335d. I think BMW would be really surprised with the sales if they just offered a larger engine range since we know how many guys on here have 335 boners.

I love my VW Jetta Sportwagen, it's def very baby A4 like. But would be very disappointed if I only had one luxury wagon option that has a starting MSRP under $40k

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 07:37 PM   #66
RWDinWisconsin
3SeriesDesire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Garage List
2002 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [1.00]
1991 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
Dual clutch tranny

No dual clutch tranny like the Audi S4? I don't want to spend M3 money but really liked the tranny in the 135 I drove.