F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 Parking Assistant in Action
Extreme Powerhouse

07-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X6M

F30 Parking Assistant in Action

Here's a video in case you're interested in seeing this feature in action. Pretty cool. But I CAN'T believe how close it gets to the cars. It stopped within an inch of that truck's front bumper.

If I understand the function right, the driver still needs to control the accelerator and brake, right? The car ONLY takes over the steering? If that's the case, then it's completely possible for you to crash into another car's rear or front bumper if you don't apply the brake quick enough. I seem to suspect that the driver in this video just didn't apply the brake as fast as he should of and that's why he got so awful close to hitting that truck.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
bcl0328
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

no, it is very precise. within inches. it's fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl0328 View Post
no, it is very precise. within inches. it's fine.
What if the driver doesn't brake at the EXACT instant the display says to brake? Seems like there's a very small margin for error and I'm not exactly sure how anyone over 60 could ever use something like this because seems like you need the reaction time of a cheetah.

One thing I've observed is that most driver's reaction time is horribly poor. Just one example: I was driving on the highway a few weeks ago. Started to merge into the other lane, then saw a car there so I swerved back. All is well. Then the other driver swerved in the opposite direction about 4 seconds later. Kid you not. Accident was completely avoided and I had moved on to thinking about something else and this woman swerves her car in reaction to my coming into her lane 4 seconds ago. Her reaction time was so poor that we would have crashed and burned and died and gone to heaven all before she even reacted.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
bcl0328
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCali View Post
What if the driver doesn't brake at the EXACT instant the display says to brake? Seems like there's a very small margin for error and I'm not exactly sure how anyone over 60 could ever use something like this because seems like you need the reaction time of a cheetah.

One thing I've observed is that most driver's reaction time is horribly poor. Just one example: I was driving on the highway a few weeks ago. Started to merge into the other lane, then saw a car there so I swerved back. All is well. Then the other driver swerved in the opposite direction about 4 seconds later. Kid you not. Accident was completely avoided and I had moved on to thinking about something else and this woman swerves her car in reaction to my coming into her lane 4 seconds ago. Her reaction time was so poor that we would have crashed and burned and died and gone to heaven all before she even reacted.
well think about it. when you do it manually you keep your foot on the brake slightly and go slowly. the car doesn't floor it and you suddenly have to break. it just takes over steering for you.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl0328 View Post
well think about it. when you do it manually you keep your foot on the brake slightly and go slowly. the car doesn't floor it and you suddenly have to break. it just takes over steering for you.
How do you know when to brake?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #6
THizzle7XU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Quote:
The car beeps like any proximity system and it says, brake.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #7
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by THizzle7XU
Quote:
The car beeps like any proximity system and it says, brake.
+1
      07-05-2012, 03:36 AM   #8
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
you look out the rear window lol
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 04:08 AM   #9
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
you look out the rear window lol
Actually, you look on the screen because of the camera's that you have with this function

I actually have this option and used it a couple of times (just got it for fun, don't have real need for it but who cares lol). It is actually pretty cool how it works. With automatic transmission, because you just have your foot on the brake pedal, you can go very slow, just let the car slip over the brake, so to say (kind of like having the car slip slowly over the clutch in a manual when you pull up).

Sometimes it does look as if there is very little margin but, in reality, this is not the case. It does come very close to cars but since you can go pretty slow yourself, it's actually not bad. You basically have to trust the car, that's all. If you think it doesn't go right, you can just stop, turn off the feature and drive away.

In the end, you do have total control and I don't feel the risk of crashing into another parked car or curb the car is any more than it would be when you would actually completely park the car yourself

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 04:13 AM   #10
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
Actually, you look on the screen because of the camera's that you have with this function

I actually have this option and used it a couple of times (just got it for fun, don't have real need for it but who cares lol). It is actually pretty cool how it works. With automatic transmission, because you just have your foot on the brake pedal, you can go very slow, just let the car slip over the brake, so to say (kind of like having the car slip slowly over the clutch in a manual when you pull up).

Sometimes it does look as if there is very little margin but, in reality, this is not the case. It does come very close to cars but since you can go pretty slow yourself, it's actually not bad. You basically have to trust the car, that's all. If you think it doesn't go right, you can just stop, turn off the feature and drive away.

In the end, you do have total control and I don't feel the risk of crashing into another parked car or curb the car is any more than it would be when you would actually completely park the car yourself
I have the option as well. I might be drunk but I can parallel park PERFECTLY. (I am prepared for some pretentious bashing - its a damn joke.)
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 04:17 AM   #11
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
I have the option as well. I might be drunk but I can parallel park PERFECTLY. (I am prepared for some pretentious bashing - its a damn joke.)
lol no worries

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0