F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Steering making shoulders ache in Sport
Extreme Powerhouse

09-01-2014, 04:26 PM   #1
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Unhappy Steering making shoulders ache in Sport

Bit of a weird one this as I don't think anyone has mentioned it.
Ever since I've had the car last November I've noticed an ache from my shoulders. I been driving in Sport mode pretty much since I've had the car and obviously the steering tightens in this mode. But recently tried Comfort mode a lot more and as a result the ache seems slightly better. Trouble is a prefer driving in Sport mode and it's a shame we can't select the steering mode separately (think I need an M3!).

I don't find the wheel hard to turn and have no problems while driving the car in Sport mode and am broad shouldered. It's just afterwards and any other time of the day my damn shoulders ache.

Anyone else have this problem with Sport mode?

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 04:31 PM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Why not leave the switch in comfort but push the gear stick to the left? Sport mode without the sport steering!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 04:31 PM   #3
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

You are falling to bits.
Rotator cuff problems?
Trip to the Physio would help.
      09-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #4
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

The problem dopper99, my friend, is that you are a nine stone weakling.

Some trips to the gym methinks.....

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 04:45 PM   #5
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Greek View Post

+1 and I have heard Saga get 25% discount on gyms
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 05:01 PM   #6
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Sure it's not that awful torque steer from xDrive?

Or the arm wrenching acceleration from that 335d? ......move closer to the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 05:25 PM   #7
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Thanks guys for the "helpful" comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Why not leave the switch in comfort but push the gear stick to the left? Sport mode without the sport steering!
No because the throttle response is better on Sport, which I prefer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
You are falling to bits.
Rotator cuff problems?
Trip to the Physio would help.
Yes certainly falling to bits lately, put too much weight on in recent years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Greek View Post

No, I'm nineteen stone so no problems in the strength department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
+1 and I have heard Saga get 25% discount on gyms
Yes I do need the gym, but not for the reasons you all think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Sure it's not that awful torque steer from xDrive?

Or the arm wrenching acceleration from that 335d? ......move closer to the steering wheel.
.... or maybe mines just buggered.
But most likely its me.

So no-one had problems with Sport mode then? Dont know why the bloody thing stiffens up anyway, its not like it provides any more feel to the steering.

I have got VSS, perhaps its that?

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack

Last edited by dopper99; 09-01-2014 at 06:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 05:29 PM   #8
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

The strange thing is, my right shoulder is far worse than my left. And this has definitely only come on since I've owned the F30. Never had any problems with the E90's.
At first I thought it was to do with the fact I rest my right arm on the window ledge - but I dont think it could be that - god knows.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 05:50 PM   #9
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Thanks guys for the "helpful" comments!

No because the throttle response is better on Sport, which I prefer.
I doesn't actually improve throttle response though, it just gives more revs at less throttle pedal. So if you put your foot flat to the floor then throttle response is the same in both modes!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 06:03 PM   #10
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I doesn't actually improve throttle response though, it just gives more revs at less throttle pedal.
But that is throttle response, increasing the revs at less throttle pedal?
Read this...........http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Throttle_response

"Throttle response is a measure of how quickly a vehicle's engine can increase its power output in response to a driver's request for acceleration, such as a pedal being pressed."

So if you are getting more revs at less throttle (ie Sport mode) then you have increased the power output as you are higher up the rev range, hence the throttle response is better.

What do you think throttle response is?

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 06:22 PM   #11
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99
Quote:
I doesn't actually improve throttle response though, it just gives more revs at less throttle pedal.
But that is throttle response, increasing the revs at less throttle pedal?
Read this...........http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Throttle_response" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://en.wikipedia....e_response</a>" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://<a href="http...sponse</a></a>

"Throttle response is a measure of how quickly a vehicle's engine can increase its power output in response to a driver's request for acceleration, such as a pedal being pressed."

So if you are getting more revs at less throttle (ie Sport mode) then you have increased the power output as you are higher up the rev range, hence the throttle response is better.

What do you think throttle response is?
No, throttle response is how quickly an engine reacts to your pressing of the pedal.
Sport mode gives you more throttle when partially pressing the accelerator, which gives the illusion of faster throttle response.

Try it tomorrow, in both modes put your foot flat to the floor as fast as you can. The car will pull away just as quickly in either mode.

Edit:
P.S. Put gearstick in sport mode both times or obviously the test won't be fair!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 12:36 AM   #12
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i

TBH i found the steering heavy enough even in comfort mode
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 03:06 AM   #13
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

@dopper99. I found this ache a little on my Holliday run 'Down South' towards France. However, I was on the motorway in Comfort mode and just put it down to stress tension in my shoulders. I drove 350 miles that day also... The extra traffic and poor driving on southern roads is no fun to somebody who muscly drives nice fun country roads. No ache on the return journey... 500 miles in a day.

It would be ideal to be able to separate the steering from the suspension... Coding?

My car has Adaptive Suspension with Servotronic steering and 19" wheels on an sDrive. I initially found Comfort too light and Sport a touch heavy. Now I'm used to the car I, in some ways, prefer the steering in the comfort setting. I find it actually more communicative as the heavy sport steering feels dead in comparison. However, my caveat is that the tyre pressures must be set just right... The door pillar values as displayed on my Michelin digital pressure thingy. Relatively costly but seems accurate.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Michelin-Dig...ressure+gauges

A bit too soft and feedback is lost...

I wonder if sport mode steering is set to kill excessive feedback of stiff dampers from poor road surfaces?

Have you got the nice new xDrive upgrade springs? If so, how about tyre pressure checks and giving Comfort a go. I only use Sport for empty road playing. Comfort is for general driving and even Eco Slow for heavy traffic...
      09-02-2014, 03:19 AM   #14
Ross_T_Boss
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d Touring

I've had a couple of issues, my shoulders have been a bit knackered for the past year, pretty sure it's rotator cuff but as expected the NHS won't do anything until I have restricted movement.

I found on some longer drives my shoulders were a bit aggravated afterwards. I tend to drive with the wheel quite low and a 10/2 grip, I've moved it a little higher and repositioned my hands - closer to 9/3 now which results in a slightly wider grip and I've not had any issues since.

I spoke to a colleague who recommended I get a split keyboard that solved his problems, I hate the bloody things but it's the same theory - keep your hands a bit further apart to prevent repetitive strain
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 03:26 AM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
No, throttle response is how quickly an engine reacts to your pressing of the pedal.
Sport mode gives you more throttle when partially pressing the accelerator, which gives the illusion of faster throttle response.
Similar to how drivers find the Sprint Booster fitted to older models, users read less throttle travel as better response.

Also why Eco-Pro throttle movements feel as if the car is dead, when there is still the same ultimate engine output. Just requires a faster foot to get the same response.

I recall the time when we'd play with the linkage and springs on cable operated carburettor engines, could get a completely different throttle feel just by a different spring and tighter/modified linkage.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 03:27 AM   #16
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete
Quote:
Similar to how drivers find the Sprint Booster fitted to older models, users read less throttle travel as better response.

Also why Eco-Pro throttle movements feel as if the car is dead, when there is still the same ultimate engine output. Just requires a faster foot to get the same response.

I recall the time when we'd play with the linkage and springs on cable operated carburettor engines, could get a completely different throttle feel just by a different spring and tighter/modified linkage.

HighlandPete
Yep!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 03:41 AM   #17
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post
Now I'm used to the car I, in some ways, prefer the steering in the comfort setting. I find it actually more communicative as the heavy sport steering feels dead in comparison. However, my caveat is that the tyre pressures must be set just right... The door pillar values as displayed on my Michelin digital pressure thingy. Relatively costly but seems accurate....
Same here in my 5-series, the sport settings do add a 'sporty' sensation to the car. But to be honest the 'normal/comfort' steering weighting is better for feedback from the road, much more sensitive to the hands and the steering is more alive. The sport steering setting feels meatier, but really it is more damped, so more artificial.

Agree on tyre pressures, quite a narrow range for best steering feel.

For me the more relaxed 'involved' drive is not in sport mode, I feel more tense with suspension/steering in sport mode. I wonder if some of dopper99's issue is related to tension in the muscles.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 07:03 AM   #18
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

While playing around today i have discovered that in comfort mode with DSC off, the steering switches to heavy sport mode!

Did anyone know this?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 07:36 AM   #19
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

What a bunch of pussies!

When I were a lad, we didn't have any power steering........ And no one complained about any part of their body aching.......
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 10:02 AM   #20
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

@dopper99:

It appears to me you have the beginnings of rotator cuff problems. Very common in many people over the age of 45 years. Get to see a Physiotherapist ASAP. Try also to lose some weight. 19 stone is way too heavy unless you are 8 foot tall..

May the Good Lord bless you with a speedy recovery and a resolution to this problem. I really feel for you as this problem you are having does affect quality of life.
      09-02-2014, 10:11 AM   #21
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
While playing around today i have discovered that in comfort mode with DSC off, the steering switches to heavy sport mode!

Did anyone know this?
Actually no, I tend to do all playing in sports modes and sort of sensible in comfort.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 12:23 PM   #22
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Actually no, I tend to do all playing in sports modes and sort of sensible in comfort.
Me too, that's why i never noticed it before! Obviously BMW think sport steering gives you more control/feel!
Appreciate 0