F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BMS stage 1 Dyno Results
Studio RSR

03-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #111
swe328i
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i f30

I mean octane
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #112
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdelarosa View Post
My 328 w the tune doesn't show higher torque readings on the meter, but I can feel the difference when driving.
It's because the tune hides the extra performance from the DME.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #113
topcat87
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F30

how much more hp from +4psi instead of +3?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #114
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat87 View Post
how much more hp from +4psi instead of +3?
About 7whp.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #115
topcat87
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
About 7whp.
how much boost over stock is the kelleners sport module?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #116
topcat87
Banned
No_Country
Rep

it seems that the kelleners adjust cam timing?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #117
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat87 View Post
how much boost over stock is the kelleners sport module?
Dunno, not something typically purchased in the US.

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #118
swe328i
Rep

Is there anyone runnig on "race gas" ? (stage1 +6psi)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #119
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
Thank you. Very nice from someone who, in my opinion, is one of the most level headed posters on this site.

Although I do not use EP mode, I can tell you that JB1 give it a really helpful boost. No, I do not use it either. I tried for a short time after I bought the car, as part of the novelty, however, Comfort mode has been transformed quite well with JB1.

I live in a big city with lots of traffic everywhere, pretty much every day, so driving the car in Sport mode every time is very un-necessary. When I can, I do of course and the JB1 makes it very, very sharp, responsive & fast.

We also have a very active police force here and the government has pretty much mandated a virtually zero tolerance for even driving a couple of km/h over the speed limit. To keep track of speed limits across our vast city, there are hundreds of fixed and mobile speed cameras (privately operated) plus police with radars, so 'spirited' driving is a big risk here. Lots of revenue raising with heavy fines & driver license demerit points.

So although I like to take off quickly from the lights, I want to keep my license and spend my money when & where I wish, so Comfort with the tune is just a very well balanced setup, which works well for most of my driving.

So it's not a matter of tuning the car (or not) and using Sport all the time. It's also not a mpg issue for me either. I need to and have to adapt to our conditions.

Please do not mis-understand me. Sport Mode is GREAT and I use it when I can.
Well thank you as well.

My perspective is skewed because I don't live in a "city" traffic environment.
The outlying Chicago area is sort of like rural driving broken up with greater distance between lights.
For my driving in this area EP is just awful.
I filled up a few days ago and tried to use EP thinking I would suck it up and try it for a tankful to see how it goes.
I couldn't do it, couldn't even get 1/4 tank before switching back to comfort throttle.

I prefer the response of the sport throttle, but due to the way I have to set my DH settings I use comfort throttle and comfort AT with sport steering and sport suspension. That's the setting for about 75% of my driving, which is mostly commuting to work.

I'm not a gun and run driver looking for fastest speed or accel on daily driving, so I don't prefer sport throttle to achieve higher ticketing inducing speeds .
I just prefer the better sensitivity, which makes power control feel more intuitive to my foot anyway.
My last 135i N55 had awful throttle response due to a BS software update installed during the HPFP issue, before the solution was found.
But, even after they installed the new HPFP BMW didn't install better software.
That's part of the reason why I really like the sport throttle in my 335i.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #120
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH View Post
Results from this tune, at this point, appear too inconsistent and subjective for my tastes - and at 18ish hp probably too small to notice - even to a well trained butt. Moreover, even the changes "under the line" don't point to more real world / usable performance. Also don't get this learning period thing - sounds like urban legend!
FYI: Some years ago I enjoyed good and bad experience chipping my Audi A4 w/2.0T. First chip promised big numbers and for the first few weeks I thought I felt something. But when others reported their disappointments, it confirmed I was fooling myself. I later replaced the chip with one from GIAC - which had years of well documented (though more modest) gains and had been fully sorted out. With this tune, the difference was very obvious and real; especially in day to day driving.

I appreciate the early adopters, and the minute I'm convinced that this or that other piggy-back with the blue light actually delivers 30+ whp and 50+ torque, and in the meat of the power range...and without surprises...my check is in the mail. Until then I gotta sit on the fence, with crossed fingers.
[u2b], [/u2b]
I had APR software in my A4 2.0T sport.
It was a nice improvement over stock, nothing crazy but it was noticeable and welcomed.

The JB+ in my 135i had a more pronounced power boost, very noticeable and worth every dollar.
Seems the stage 1 for the N55 from BMS gives the same boost as the JB+ on the N54.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 04:28 AM   #121
Zluk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 Orange Sahir

328i N20 2011
Dyno 98 RON 4 gear
Bms stage1+intercooler Forge for N55+intake aFe+exhaust aFe+cat-back aFe
416.1 N*m and 283.5 hp
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 04:38 AM   #122
swe328i
Rep

Is this with +4psi or is it in default +3psi ?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 05:09 AM   #123
Zluk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swe328i View Post
Is this with +4psi or is it in default +3psi ?
Default 3 psi
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #124
RJH
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP[B
[/B]M90;13717653]I had APR software in my A4 2.0T sport.
It was a nice improvement over stock, nothing crazy but it was noticeable and welcomed.

The JB+ in my 135i had a more pronounced power boost, very noticeable and worth every dollar.
Seems the stage 1 for the N55 from BMS gives the same boost as the JB+ on the N54.
Since the 54/54 have been out for a while, I'm more confident with that tune. But we're talking about the much newer N20 here and in my opinion, the jury is still out.
The results from our Russian friend show 283 with downpipe, catback and intercooler...so I'm still no closer to gauging what the "chipping" delivers. I've seen stock whp in 238 range - therefore it looks like total gains are in the neighbourhood of 45ish hp. Not really impressive for the total investment and still no confirmation on what part BMS plays. (10-15 hp as stand alone??? - just don't know)
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 10:13 AM   #125
Zluk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Since the 54/54 have been out for a while, I'm more confident with that tune. But we're talking about the much newer N20 here and in my opinion, the jury is still out.
The results from our Russian friend show 283 with downpipe, catback and intercooler...so I'm still no closer to gauging what the "chipping" delivers. I've seen stock whp in 238 range - therefore it looks like total gains are in the neighbourhood of 45ish hp. Not really impressive for the total investment and still no confirmation on what part BMS plays. (10-15 hp as stand alone??? - just don't know)
The problem may be in the booth, the result is important, and it is very nice. My car is faster than the 750xi and F30 335 stock.
and yet, when I was just a chip and intake, when outdoor temperature of -5 degrees С, the best acceleration was 5.6s 0-100 km\h. It is quite possible that the chip + intercooler give stable results 5.6-5.7s.
I need the best result, so installed almost everything possible equipping to date, but now do not have enough grip. It was decided to change the car to all-wheel drive
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #126
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you have experience modifying/tuning cars? Not sure where you are getting your bang for buck references.

Stage 1 tune is very mild, everything else is just exhaust, the intercooler does not really add power, just makes it more resistant to decline from heat and the intake is just for sound.

So a mild stage 1 tune plus a full exhaust netting 45whp is pretty damn good.

This was also at +3 and not +4psi which will net another 7whp, so lets round out stage 1 on his car to netting 290whp. Stage 2 nets another 10-12whp, so there should be no problem for his setup to crack 300whp. Remember, the 3.0L N55 puts down 275whp.

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #127
Turboedv6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 Apline White Sportline 328

I plan on running 6+ psi on race gas once it comes out for the N26
      03-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #128
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
But we're talking about the much newer N20 here and in my opinion, the jury is still out.

Not really impressive for the total investment and still no confirmation on what part BMS plays. (10-15 hp as stand alone??? - just don't know)
The much newer N20 is so close to an N55 in build and parts (ref: another website this forum denies me from posting its name detailing the full-BMW-N20-turbo-4-cylinder-technical-specifications-plus-history-overview-and-N52-comparison), that in essence, the N20 isn't so new. Perhaps for you, sitting on the fence, not knowing how much of a boost the BMS Stage 1 really offers, the jury is out. For those of us who have installed just the Stage 1 piggyback, we know better.

The unit on its own, without any other modifications to the car, offers a significant boost to the base power and torque of the 328i. Sure, if you live in an area where your gas grade is relatively low to mid range (no higher than 91AKI), then the gains will not be as strong as using 93AKI (98RON), but they are still there.

What are you expecting from a mild boost anyway? You have made a few "I'm not sure" statements, but what do YOU expect from a $380.00 unit?

Cheers
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 05:52 PM   #129
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The much newer N20 is so close to an N55 in build and parts (ref: another website this forum denies me from posting its name detailing the full-BMW-N20-turbo-4-cylinder-technical-specifications-plus-history-overview-and-N52-comparison), that in essence, the N20 isn't so new. Perhaps for you, sitting on the fence, not knowing how much of a boost the BMS Stage 1 really offers, the jury is out. For those of us who have installed just the Stage 1 piggyback, we know better.

The unit on its own, without any other modifications to the car, offers a significant boost to the base power and torque of the 328i. Sure, if you live in an area where your gas grade is relatively low to mid range (no higher than 91AKI), then the gains will not be as strong as using 93AKI (98RON), but they are still there.

What are you expecting from a mild boost anyway? You have made a few "I'm not sure" statements, but what do YOU expect from a $380.00 unit?

Cheers
x2

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 05:13 PM   #130
RJH
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i xDrive

Quote:

Cheers
Price isn't an issue - confidence with the product is! The feedback to date has not instilled that confidence yet. And since you asked, what I'd like is a verified 30+ hp and 40-50+ torque... enhancing daily drive, on standard gas (91) octane, and no error codes or damage to motor.
That may very well be what the tune delivers; but based on the feedback from the small sample size of users, and excluding developers and resellers, I'm think my questions are entirely reasonable and cogent. And polite...

Last edited by RJH; 03-31-2013 at 05:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 05:45 AM   #131
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Price isn't an issue - confidence with the product is! The feedback to date has not instilled that confidence yet. And since you asked, what I'd like is a verified 30+ hp and 40-50+ torque... enhancing daily drive, on standard gas (91) octane, and no error codes or damage to motor.
That may very well be what the tune delivers; but based on the feedback from the small sample size of users, and excluding developers and resellers, I'm think my questions are entirely reasonable and cogent. And polite...
Why didn't you buy a 335i then and forget all this? Logical and reasonable answer, even if it's a question and I haven't questioned your politeness, just your expectations and guesswork.

Speak to Terry from BMS or Mike from N54 or whoever you choose about the unit. Arrange something with them. Try it out instead of speculating and excuses.

In the meantime, BMS Stage 1 users like Jameson and myself (sorry about other users with S1 who post on this section, you are all included of course) will enjoy our 328is with added 10/20/25+hp & 20/30/40+Tq - whatever the figures may be - without damaging our motors. Remember, no one uses all the extra power & torque on every drive anyway.

You enjoy your 328i without enhancements. Nothing wrong with stock 328. Join us when you are ready.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #132
XRS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 M-Sport

I believe from my dyno my gains were not significant (241whp), but following the tuning scene for some years had made me take advertised figures from tuners with a pinch of salt
Appreciate 0