F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > two questions
Extreme Powerhouse

12-23-2012, 06:35 AM   #1
flc1962
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M Sport 420d

two questions

Hi Guys. Firstly hello. Not new to BMW just the forum. This is my second, like the last one had to buy the new 1 gone from a 318i to the 320d, loving it so far.

One thing I did not spec was sun protection glass, So i had the windows tinted. As a result of this the rear window in the dark which lets face it at the moment north of the border is almost all day. Where the heater elements are the light bounces/reflects all the way up the windon the brighter the light the more it deflects anyone else who has after market tints seen this or has any advice for me so I can get this fixed?.

Apart from that the car is runnning great.

If you select Xeons outside of the visibility pack are the two middle lights left balnk as when I flash they do nothing or when on high beam.. Yes I should have just footed the extra but my budget was limited... private buyer n all that.

Cheers in advance Paul
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Hi Paul, congrats on the new car; I can't comment on the after market tints; but with the Xenons (either with or without the Visibility Package), yes it is only the outer two lights that light (for both dipped and high beam), the inner light doesn't function. It is the fog lights that turn on e.g. when cornering, as part of the Adaptive Headlights. It used to be that the inner light lit up as a cornering light (on the E90), but this time round it's completely unfunctional (except the angel eye of course!).
      12-23-2012, 08:58 AM   #3
flc1962
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW83 View Post
Hi Paul, congrats on the new car; ; but with the Xenons (either with or without the Visibility Package), yes it is only the outer two lights that light (for both dipped and high beam), the inner light doesn't function. It is the fog lights that turn on e.g. when cornering, as part of the Adaptive Headlights. It used to be that the inner light lit up as a cornering light (on the E90), but this time round it's completely unfunctional (except the angel eye of course!).

Cheers Mark. Yep my E90 was as you describe, strange how they never stuck the lights in this time.

Anyone else regarding the rear window tints ?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 01:56 AM   #4
Spacebug
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 F31 320D M Sport

I had aftermarket tints fitted to mine by a reputable company. The effect you are describing is caused by light TIRing (Total Internal Reflection) off the film which is covering the elements. because the elements are slightly raised the film can not sit flush up against the glass. It does it off the top and bottom edges. I suspect the top edge reflects light down the window and the bottom edge up the window. Not a lot you can do about it really. I've got used to it and don't really notice it now.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
flc1962
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacebug View Post
I had aftermarket tints fitted to mine by a reputable company. The effect you are describing is caused by light TIRing (Total Internal Reflection) off the film which is covering the elements. because the elements are slightly raised the film can not sit flush up against the glass. It does it off the top and bottom edges. I suspect the top edge reflects light down the window and the bottom edge up the window. Not a lot you can do about it really. I've got used to it and don't really notice it now.
Cheers mate makes sense, that was what the fitter said. Guess when the sun comes back to Scotland it be so bad.. I'm starting to get use to it too..
Appreciate 0