F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Opinions on Mineral White Metallic for 428i gran coupe
Studio RSR

07-03-2016, 09:21 PM   #1
MikeBeemer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 428iGC

Opinions on Mineral White Metallic for 428i gran coupe

I just wanted to know what others think of Mineral White metallic. I love the color personally and I'm waiting for my build to be delivered. I got Venetian beige sensatec interior. Non-M Sport with style 397 wheels 18". Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 09:24 PM   #2
F30inthe6ix
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 BMW 328i 6MT

My F30 is Alpine White and I absolutely love the colour. The paint quality is fantastic, and after 2 straight Black/Black vehicles I am beyond thrilled with how flashy it feels to look at a white car. I'm sure your Mineral White Metallic paint job will look just as gorgeous as my Alpine one does.

Keeping it clean has not been as difficult as I expected either. I live just outside of the city so I get bug build-up on my front bumper from time-to-time, but otherwise the car stays relatively clean to the point where co-workers and friends will ask me if I'd just washed my car when in reality it'll be a week or more between washes for her at the time.
      07-03-2016, 09:29 PM   #3
kadify
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428i xDrive GC

I have a MW 428 GC and I do like the color. I think the only color I would pick over MW at this point would be Estoril Blue. But otherwise I rally like the color. It's got a very fine metallic quality and looks really flashy in direct sunshine and at dusk., otherwise it looks like plain white in the dark.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 10:11 PM   #4
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F22 230i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30inthe6ix View Post
My F30 is Alpine White and I absolutely love the colour. The paint quality is fantastic, and after 2 straight Black/Black vehicles I am beyond thrilled with how flashy it feels to look at a white car. I'm sure your Mineral White Metallic paint job will look just as gorgeous as my Alpine one does.

Keeping it clean has not been as difficult as I expected either. I live just outside of the city so I get bug build-up on my front bumper from time-to-time, but otherwise the car stays relatively clean to the point where co-workers and friends will ask me if I'd just washed my car when in reality it'll be a week or more between washes for her at the time.
+1 here as well. I've three Alpine White bimmers with one Oriental Blue and the whites don't need to be washed as often than the blue. With that said, the OB looks gorgeous right after being washed, even though it's 13 years old now. Bird poop if not removed immediately leaves a more visible spot on the OB but hardly noticeable on the AW's. Only "downside" to the whites is that it seems every other car is white, so not as unique, but from a practical standpoint, it's low upkeep.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 10:33 PM   #5
F30inthe6ix
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 BMW 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDown View Post
+1 here as well. I've three Alpine White bimmers with one Oriental Blue and the whites don't need to be washed as often than the blue. With that said, the OB looks gorgeous right after being washed, even though it's 13 years old now. Bird poop if not removed immediately leaves a more visible spot on the OB but hardly noticeable on the AW's. Only "downside" to the whites is that it seems every other car is white, so not as unique, but from a practical standpoint, it's low upkeep.
I agree with your assessment on the downside of white vehicles. I wanted my last vehicle in white when I bought it roughly eight years ago, but it wasn't meant to be. Now I feel like I'm late to the party for people who own white vehicles

My biggest (& pretty much only) drawback to the white exterior is the black crap that constantly covers the area around my exhaust tailpipes. I really don't notice it at all on BMWs that aren't white, but on my car it comes back only a few days after I wash her. Thankfully it comes off easily every time, but it is annoying when you wash your car already expecting the exhaust region of my rear bumper to be dirty again almost instantaneously. At first I was worried but the more I read into it on here, the more I'm convinced that it's a normal occurrence particularly for white F30 owners.
      07-03-2016, 11:00 PM   #6
kadify
Lieutenant
Rep

One important note if you get a white (alpine or mineral) F30 and the backup camera: The camera adjusts brightness using the bottom of the camera view, meaning, since the camera has a partial view of the white rear bumper, night backing up is difficult. The license plate lights reflecting off the white bumper cause the camera to overcompensate for the brightness and as a result it is EXTREMELY dark looking on the rear view monitor at night when backing up. Something to keep in mind. There's an easy work around but no other bmw color causes this issue either.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 11:07 PM   #7
MikeBeemer
Private
Rep

Kadify how do you work around this issue with the rear view camera?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 11:29 PM   #8
kadify
Lieutenant
Rep

I put a slim piece of black electrical tape over the bottom edge of the rear view camera. Just enough to block out the bottom view of the bumper helps.

This is the board about the issue: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...hite+rear+view
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 11:52 PM   #9
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

I had a white car, over time they tend to stain and pick up a lot of stuff that would be harder to see on other cars, but new I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem with that for years. I had a white subaru WRX wagon that had dark tint, with the air intake and other features, looked very much like a "stormtrooper". I'm not ready to go back to owning a white car, I think they show dirt and the like a little too easy.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 12:12 AM   #10
MikeBeemer
Private
Rep

Kadify does putting the black electrical tape on the lens affect the camera during the day? Thanks for your help bro!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 12:38 AM   #11
PBureno
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I had a white car, over time they tend to stain and pick up a lot of stuff that would be harder to see on other cars, but new I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem with that for years. I had a white subaru WRX wagon that had dark tint, with the air intake and other features, looked very much like a "stormtrooper". I'm not ready to go back to owning a white car, I think they show dirt and the like a little too easy.
What color do you have now?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 12:42 AM   #12
kadify
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike428GC View Post
Kadify does putting the black electrical tape on the lens affect the camera during the day? Thanks for your help bro!
No. It just covers the very bottom part of the image (about 1 cm on your actual display where the bumper would otherwise be viewable) so it doesn't affect anything. The parking lines make sure you know where the bumper would be anyway so you don't back into anything and the screen seems to respond to brightness during the day just fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 01:00 AM   #13
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBureno View Post
What color do you have now?
Grey

My last car was black, which I really liked. Wanted a darker color, but something besides black. Might go back to black for the next, hehe, but again, a "stormtrooper" car is pretty damn cool.
Attached Images

Last edited by RM7; 07-04-2016 at 01:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 01:09 AM   #14
PBureno
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Grey

My last car was black, which I really liked. Wanted a darker color, but something besides black. Might go back to black for the next, hehe, but again, a "stormtrooper" car is pretty damn cool.
Nice car! Any cons about your previous Black car?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 01:15 AM   #15
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBureno View Post
Nice car! Any cons about your previous Black car?
Nothing I can think of. Interior black too, which seems to help with keeping sunlight from being too bright. When you have tinted windows, a black interior seems to help a bit and make it seem darker. I think grey and black are probably the least "attention getting" colors, but with some cars the "black" version still "looks" badass, it just doesn't catch someone's attention as easy, which can be good. I even took to putting some black matte protecting strips on the body ground effects, which meshed nice due to the car being black. Seemed a little easier to keep clean or at least looked a little cleaner, even when dirty. White was more of a challenge.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 11:43 AM   #16
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike428GC View Post
Mike, pm me your address on this forum and I'll be glad to send you some. I purchased a whole strip ( that's the least amount sold) and you only need ½ of one vinyl patch, lol
These are the vinyl stickers that were recommended in the prior post mentioned by Kadify.
Dan
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 12:11 PM   #17
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30inthe6ix View Post
I agree with your assessment on the downside of white vehicles. I wanted my last vehicle in white when I bought it roughly eight years ago, but it wasn't meant to be. Now I feel like I'm late to the party for people who own white vehicles

My biggest (& pretty much only) drawback to the white exterior is the black crap that constantly covers the area around my exhaust tailpipes. I really don't notice it at all on BMWs that aren't white, but on my car it comes back only a few days after I wash her. Thankfully it comes off easily every time, but it is annoying when you wash your car already expecting the exhaust region of my rear bumper to be dirty again almost instantaneously. At first I was worried but the more I read into it on here, the more I'm convinced that it's a normal occurrence particularly for white F30 owners.
I don't seem to have the soot problem around the exhaust pipes, could be the different additives used here in Cali.. I do notice that the back bumper gets dirtier than the rest of the car due to the back flow of the air as it comes off the rear trunk lip. A simple wipe down with a microfiber towel and Griots Spray and Wipe cleans it nicely.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 01:58 PM   #18
MikeBeemer
Private
Rep

Thanks andDown! I sent you a PM with my address. Do you have Alpine or Mineral White btw? Ive had 2 alpine white 3 series and really liked the color. I just wanted to get something a bit more rare and with more "pop" this time around. Thanks for all the replies everyone!
Appreciate 0