F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Buyers remorse?
proTUNING Freaks

12-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Buyers remorse?

I bought a 318d, and really love the car, but I keep thinking if only I've spent a few grand more and go the 320d or even a slightly used 328i.. I'm really not a fast driver or a traffic light racer, but 318 is just slightly too slow..

I plan(ed) on driving the car for at least 4/5 years (car paid in full).. Is there anything I can do? I ask because I'm just starting to mod my car, and just realised how much it costs to retrofit parts that I couldn't have just 'ticked' for a quarter of the price. Keep in mind that this is my first new car, let alone bmw, so I really had no idea..

If there is nothing I can do, how much (approximate % wise) can I expect to get after a year of driving (guessing I will be on abut 28,000km by then).

Anyway, thanks for any suggestions, lesson learnt.
Actually, it might be thanks to you guys, I learnt that not all f30's are created equal.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

If I were you, I'd stay away from adding factory options after the fact. Too expensive. We can all play the game of "if I paid a little more I coulda...". I could play that game until I convince myself that I should've gotten an M3.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NN5`º View Post
If I were you, I'd stay away from adding factory options after the fact. Too expensive. We can all play the game of "if I paid a little more I coulda...". I could play that game until I convince myself that I should've gotten an M3.
The difference in this case was that my budget was larger, and I just wanted to add them on later on (didnt know the massive price difference). TBH, I got a quote for xenon and m sport body kit ($6k+$3.7k) which Im prepared to pay, but seems silly when I could have gotten a 320 with the same (and a bit more) for similar money..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d & G29 M40i First Edtn

Garage List
Is the car paid up in full now or after 4/5 years it will be?

If you have it all paid up completely, have you enquired at a dealers to see what deal they'll do you on a new 320d or other with yours as part ex...? Remember they like to sell new cars ;-) Could find a good deal...
      12-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
Yay-Z
Shifting to Top Gear
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/E70 X5

This world is funny. You think the 328i is some street racer car, while in the states they think the 328i is a snail.

I think you should be happy with your choice.
      12-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #6
mynycbimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 328xi M-Sport

Quote:
+1

Just be happy and enjoy the car you have, it's still a brand new BMW!

Reading this forum probably doesn't help either. I bought a brand new E92 328i then discovered this forum. Most of the posters on the E90/92 board have 335s and think the 328 is a snail. In reality, it's faster than most of the cars I see on the highway (SUVs, trucks, beaters probably make up 90% of traffic) but you'd never know it reading some of the posts here.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #7
Bmwphile
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yay-Z View Post
This world is funny. You think the 328i is some street racer car, while in the states they think the 328i is a snail.

The 328 does 0 to 100km/h (62mph) in about 6.2 seconds. This is not "snail's pace" THis sort of acceleration was the norm from supercars not so long ago. But I agree that you should be happy with your choice.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 02:58 AM   #8
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbmwuser View Post
I bought a 318d, and really love the car, but I keep thinking if only I've spent a few grand more and go the 320d or even a slightly used 328i.. I'm really not a fast driver or a traffic light racer, but 318 is just slightly too slow..

I plan(ed) on driving the car for at least 4/5 years (car paid in full).. Is there anything I can do? I ask because I'm just starting to mod my car, and just realised how much it costs to retrofit parts that I couldn't have just 'ticked' for a quarter of the price. Keep in mind that this is my first new car, let alone bmw, so I really had no idea..
I think it's all too easy to fall into the wishing for the next engine up and even if you did have the most powerful engine you'd probably still end up wishing there was an even more powerful engine coming out soon I think we all go through it, that post delivery time when you go through what you should have added.

Love the car you have, it's a beautiful car and even if it isn't exactly quite what you wanted, it's still a good deal more than other cars. Is there an engine remapping available for that extra bit of power you want?
      12-13-2012, 03:23 AM   #9
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: dark-blue coupe

I think you bought a great every day use car with that 318-diesel. It goes way beyond speed limits and it drinks very little money (fuel).

Your regrets go into the direction "I need a V12" to get food from the supermarket.

Last edited by Antares; 12-13-2012 at 03:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 03:37 AM   #10
lewishamilton
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i SL MR

Just enjoy your car. When the M3 comes out all of us 335i owners will be thinking that we should have waited for it. You could play this game in your head as long as you want, all the way up to something like an i8. There will always be something better, faster, lighter, more fuel efficient etc...
      12-13-2012, 03:42 AM   #11
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: dark-blue coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewishamilton View Post
Just enjoy your car. When the M3 comes out all of us 335i owners will be thinking that we should have waited for it. You could play this game in your head as long as you want, all the way up to something like an i8. There will always be something better, faster, lighter, more fuel efficient etc...
or/and thirstier like a Lamborghini
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 04:39 AM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

"I should have..." is our typical hindsight thinking.

Difficult decision if you really are not satified with the original purchase. But as others have said, probably best to try and see the car for what it is, and enjoy until you plan to change.

But it does show we do need to really work it all out first of all, or be satisfied and be prepared to run the period, if we don't want to throw more money down the motoring drain.

I've had years at this motor purchasing game, and I've always felt that if the options are really important, then buying nearly new with all the kit added is the best way of getting value in what we want.

I was in the market for a new F30/31 and was prepared to spend about £45k (Sterling) including and options. Was going to 'compromise' on an F31 328i with a few key options. But it wasn't going to be my ideal car with a 4-pot engine. For less than the new price of the F31, I was able to get an F11 535i loaded with kit with just under 6k miles on the clock. Now I've got the near perfect specification in a vehicle listed at £58k new, for £35k. The way nearly new cars sell in the UK, you get the expensive options for virtually nothing after a few months, once depreciation takes its toll. OK my car was just over a year old, but still like new and at 6k miles is barely run in anyway.

BTW, I've bought the new car in the past and regretted not adding options, as I personally find the options make a car much more special.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #13
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

My advise is, if you are not happy with the car, stop modding it. Do not spend anymore money on it because you will not get that money back when you sell it. By the time you add on all those factory options, it would be cheaper to trade in your car for one with a bigger engine. When I shop for a new car, if I am not happy with what I can affort, I would wait instead of getting stuck with something you dont want.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #14
Kozality
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport w/xDrive

Quote:

This is great point. Perspective. =)

I test drove an F30 328i and was absolutely blown away. 240HP in a little 3-series? Ridiculous! (Note, I wasn't terribly familiar with the 3-series at the time, and was coming off a VW Jetta.)

It's all perspective, and sometimes its good to step back and place it in the large scheme of things. Is it an M3? No. Is it better than most of the cars on the road? You betcha.

Also, keep in mind that many driving scenarios will not make the most use of the features that get touted on here. Not that they aren't worthy points, but be careful not to make too much of your car's deficiencies, and take note of its advantages. The higher model is not necessarily better in all cases. As far as F30s go, you probably have one of the longest range/most fuel efficient models.

Case in point, I'm in Stuttgart, and a lot of my coworkers here (relativally speaking) have M3s. One recently took a trip from Germany to Tuscany. I would have thought this would have been a fun drive for him, until he told me he left the M3 at home. "Too thirsty on gas; I got a rental." If it has been a 318d? I bet it would have been perfect. Who would have had the better drive at the end of the day? =)

Don't sell yourself too short. "You done good." =)
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #15
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozality View Post
This is great point. Perspective. =)

I test drove an F30 328i and was absolutely blown away. 240HP in a little 3-series? Ridiculous! (Note, I wasn't terribly familiar with the 3-series at the time, and was coming off a VW Jetta.)

It's all perspective, and sometimes its good to step back and place it in the large scheme of things. Is it an M3? No. Is it better than most of the cars on the road? You betcha.
Yeah, but a 318d goes from 0-60 MPH in 9 seconds, can you live with that?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #16
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Hmm I think reality clicked in during the day.. Just gonna enjoy it I suppose lol
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #17
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

I once made a similar mistake and moved from a 335d to a 123d; it was for financial reasons at the time, and I thought I would be more than happy with the 123d. But after a couple of months I found myself in the position that I really didn't like it at all, as it was very underpowered compared with the 335d (which I should have expected). Things thankfully picked up again, and I got out of the lease and into a 135i, which I have had for a year. I learnt my lesson - and I think it's that, once you're used to something, that's obviously where your benchmark is set, and it's very difficult to get away from it. I don't consider the 135i amazingly fast; just a normal, nice performing car. But the reality of course is that it is - with 0-62 in 5.2 secs with the DCT - extremely fast. But I can't imagine anything being much slower, as I've had pretty fast cars (except the 123d) over the past few years, so you just get used to it.

The other side of this, is the fact that you'll always want more when you get used to something. I wanted my 135i to be faster initially, as I'd just got used to the power; it didn't wow me anymore, as its performance had become the norm for me. It was the same in my 335d, and my Mini Cooper S Works before that.

I'm currently waiting for my F30 330d to arrive; I've also had buyer's remorse before when ordering new, when I wished I'd added certain options; so I made sure to get some decent options with the car so that I'd be happy with it for a long time. I've "calmed down" a bit now in terms of my driving and the sort of cars that I go for, so the 330d will be fine for me (though its performance figures are still outstanding) as it's a 6-cyl and has great torque; so combined with all the tech the car will have, it will be more than enough for me in terms of power. There was a time when I would have been worried about the release of the 335d or 340d or whatever it will be called, because I used to always go for the top models; but I think the 330d is a great all-rounder for economy and performance, and it's still in the same ballpark as the 135i and 335d, so I'm sure I won't be left wanting for more when it arrives, hopefully next week.

I think the main thing for you is: even if you do get a 320d, there will likely also come a point when you're used to the performance of it, and start wanting more again; which will happen whatever car you "upgrade" to, it's just human nature when we get used to something. So, if it was me, I would just enjoy the car you have: sure, do some things to it to make it a bit faster and add some retrofitted options; but even a step up to a 320D isn't that huge, it's still a car very biased towards economy rather than performance; so just be happy driving your BMW; which is still a fantastic car, whatever the engine!
      12-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #18
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Ain't that the truth!
      12-14-2012, 01:48 AM   #19
Kozality
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport w/xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Yeah, but a 318d goes from 0-60 MPH in 9 seconds, can you live with that?
I think Mark summed things up well.

In short, yes.

When I was in the states, I really wanted an S4. (Confused at the time, yes. =P ) Finances and prudence meant I settled for a Jetta TDI. Was is faster than 9 seconds? Nah. Did I like the car? Yes. =)

My point is, OP can live with it, especially if he has to. He could trade in or so, but if its really that difficult to do, he could enjoy what he has, which as others have pointed out, really isn't a bad car at all. And even without a 0-60 time under 5 seconds, he still has characteristics he can point to and say "This is really good."

But you did call me out specifically, and what do I know. I left my Jetta in the states, and pick up my 335i on Monday.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 06:42 AM   #20
Yay-Z
Shifting to Top Gear
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwphile
Quote:

The 328 does 0 to 100km/h (62mph) in about 6.2 seconds. This is not "snail's pace" THis sort of acceleration was the norm from supercars not so long ago. But I agree that you should be happy with your choice.
Oh I agree completely, just stating what I noticed. As you can see I got the new 328 cos I was impressed by the N20 engine.
      12-15-2012, 07:22 AM   #21
JamesMA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

To the OP, I think that on some level it is always good to remember that your car should still "handle" like a BMW and if it does, you should be happy. My old E46 325i was no speed demon, but it drove right and served me well for 10 years.

I also agree with the other posters who point out that you could play the performance upgrade game into absurdity (can you say Carrara S!)

Gone: 2018 F80 ///M3 ZCP 6 MT, 2013 F30 335i 6MT M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 07:31 AM   #22
fshubert
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

I haven't adopted the 3-series to have the fastest car on the road. If I wanted to do that, I would have gotten an M3. I love the BMW brand and the 3-series. It looks fantastic, drives like a dream and puts a smile on my face every day. You've made a great choice. Enjoy it!