F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > DTC/DSC Sport and Sport +
Extreme Powerhouse

12-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
Deleted853
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Car

DTC/DSC Sport and Sport +

Ok, so I've read the owners manual on these issues extensively... However,I'm not able to make great sense out of it. I thought that I had it figured out... Anyway, I'm going to explain the way that I understand the different settings and then explain the way my car specifically behaves so you guys can correct me...

Now, before I go on I want to note that I have a 435i M Sport...

So, if I understand everything,

Eco Pro has the most muted throttle response and the most muted steering feel. The car becomes like an efficiency vehicle and can even do regenerative coasting to save gas. ASS is active always in this mode unless it is manually turned off. DSC is on fully nanny mode unless I turn on the DTC manually with a quick push of that button.

Comfort Mode has slightly better throttle response and maybe slightly tighter steering. ASS is active always in this mode unless it is manually turned off.DSC is on fully nanny mode unless I turn on the DTC manually with a quick push of that button.

Sport Mode has the tightest steering feel and much more immediate throttle response. ASS is not active in this mode. DSC is still on full nanny mode unless I turn on the DTC manually with a quick push of that button.

Sport + is the exact same as Sport Mode with the DTC button pushed.

Now, where my confusion begins is that I believed that I could put the car into Sport + and depress the DSC/DTC button for ten seconds which would turn the entire nanny off. Therefore, it would allow me to drive in Sport mode with DSC completely off allowing for whatever amount of wheel spin I can make the car do.

However, everytime I have been at a stop and I have the car in Sport or Sport + mode and depress the DSC/DTC button for ten straight seconds, i get the light that DSC is off, and I notice my engine shuts off because I am stopped and it has automatically moved me back in comfort mode...

Now, that obviously doesn't seem right.

Also, and this seems more straight forward, with the 435i Sport Auto, if I have the car in Sport + and the car in manual shift mode, I have complete control over the shifts, even into the redline. However, if I'm just in Sport mode and manual shift mode, the car will shift itself before the red line... Does that sound correct?

Any help, please be gentle, first time owner here...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
Ih8usrnms
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport

Wait when your in sport+ ASS is automatically turned off?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
chetman7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

Just a correction to your original post

If in sport mode and you press the DTC button briefly, it puts you back into comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
Deleted853
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8usrnms View Post
Wait when your in sport+ ASS is automatically turned off?
When I'm in Sport or Sport + I don't get ASS....
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
Deleted853
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetman7 View Post
Just a correction to your original post

If in sport mode and you press the DTC button briefly, it puts you back into comfort mode.
So, when in Sport mode and I press the button briefly to turn on DTC and it says "Traction" It's supposed to go into comfort mode not the equivalent of Sport +?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
F30.M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwm1166 View Post
When I'm in Sport or Sport + I don't get ASS....
On my 335i, I used to get ASS even in Sport and Sport+, but after some software update 2 months ago, I lost this features, so when engaged in Sport or Sport+, the ASS does not kick in.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
Deleted853
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30.M View Post
On my 335i, I used to get ASS even in Sport and Sport+, but after some software update 2 months ago, I lost this features, so when engaged in Sport or Sport+, the ASS does not kick in.
Exactly, my car is 435i MY 14 so it came from the factory like that, and my ASS remembers last setting on start up.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #8
Ih8usrnms
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30.M View Post
Looks like i need a software upgrade. My ASS is active in all driving modes unless manually turned off.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #9
Deleted853
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8usrnms View Post
Looks like i need a software upgrade. My ASS is active in all driving modes unless manually turned off.
Yeah, I could be wrong, but I think all the MY 14's are like that...So, I'm sure you can get them.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #10
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
However, everytime I have been at a stop and I have the car in Sport or Sport + mode and depress the DSC/DTC button for ten straight seconds, i get the light that DSC is off, and I notice my engine shuts off because I am stopped and it has automatically moved me back in comfort mode...
Do you have the MT? In my sport automatic 335 the auto stop start still happens in any chassis mod if the gearbox is in D mode

DSC full off shows "sport settings" on the screen so it is still dsc off with the car in 'sport mode' (i.e. what you wanted should be possible and maybe you had the gearbox in D setting)
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #11
Deleted853
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Do you have the MT? In my sport automatic 335 the auto stop start still happens in any chassis mod if the gearbox is in D mode

DSC full off shows "sport settings" on the screen so it is still dsc off with the car in 'sport mode' (i.e. what you wanted should be possible and maybe you had the gearbox in D setting)
Yeah, I do see it says that as well, hmmm... Anyway, the Transmission I have is the 8 Sport Auto. This car is so much damn fun!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #12
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Competition Gran Coupe

I noticed the same thing.. kind of a bummer.. when in sport and sport + and you turn traction all the way off it kicks you back into comfort mode...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #13
chetman7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

Quote:
So, when in Sport mode and I press the button briefly to turn on DTC and it says "Traction" It's supposed to go into comfort mode not the equivalent of Sport +?
Correct. so if you want sporty driving witg more leeway in tire slippage witgout the system cutting in, throw it in sport+

One thing I dislike about this car is if I disable all nannies by holding the button down for 10 seconds...it throws you back in comfort

So to my knowledge now way to have all nannies off and be in sport mode
Im hoping someone will correct me in this as I haven't played with it too much
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #14
Deleted853
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetman7 View Post
Correct. so if you want sporty driving witg more leeway in tire slippage witgout the system cutting in, throw it in sport+

One thing I dislike about this car is if I disable all nannies by holding the button down for 10 seconds...it throws you back in comfort

So to my knowledge now way to have all nannies off and be in sport mode
Im hoping someone will correct me in this as I haven't played with it too much
It does seem to be comfort mode. However on my IDRIVE when I turn DSC off it says that it's sport oriented settings and DSC disabled.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #15
elistan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, AP1 S2000

Yes, as far as I can tell, the only SPORT setting that's missing when you hold down the button to turn off DSC is the extra sensitive throttle mapping. You still get the reduced steering assist and, I think, stiffer shocks from DHP (which I don't have, so can't empirically test for.) You get the sportier AT shift map by moving the gear select lever to the left. I think that disabling the sensitive throttle mapping is a good thing, since with DSC disabled all traction control and some stability control functions are handled by the driver's right foot, and being smooth during high performance driving is very important.

So, to sum up: DTC ON plus transmission in DS equals SPORT+ minus throttle mapping.
Appreciate 0