F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > JB4 N26 Map 7... Drivetrain Malfunction... Sparkplugs OH MY
ARMA SPEED

05-27-2018, 07:02 PM   #1
lonecitizenfour
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i XDrive

Garage List
JB4 N26 Map 7... Drivetrain Malfunction... Sparkplugs OH MY

I have a full FBO car with catted downpipe from ER. I took my car in to get coilovers and alignment... when I picked it up and drove back, I noticed my car was on Map 7 (I only run Map 1 or 5 to be extra safe)... It must have been less than 10 miles so I pulled to the side of the road and changed to Map 1.

It seemed like everything was fine.

BUT WE’RE NOT DONE YET. Later on...

I found a random stretch of road... I was on Map 1 at this time and floored it at stop in Sport mode and sport shift position. It went to red line and went up Anne down the red line for about 4-5 times with popping sounds then put out “DRIVETRAIN MALFUNCTION” and a CEL where I pulled to the side of the road, read 2 of cylinders had misfires (no knocks). But when I restarted the car the malfunction message + CEL went away. I cleared codes and none came back. Been fine since.

Since then I did change my spark plugs to SILZKBR8E8S gapped to 0.020 now only difference is that I got a “Catless Downpipe Detected” in JB4 app which I NEVER got before no CEL yet because of this though.

UGHHHHHHH I’m over loaded Anyone have insight(s)? Thank you.

Old spark plugs... er these look pretty okay to me...

Last edited by lonecitizenfour; 05-27-2018 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 09:03 AM   #2
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonecitizenfour View Post
I have a full FBO car with catted downpipe from ER. I took my car in to get coilovers and alignment... when I picked it up and drove back, I noticed my car was on Map 7 (I only run Map 1 or 5 to be extra safe)... It must have been less than 10 miles so I pulled to the side of the road and changed to Map 1.

It seemed like everything was fine.

BUT WE’RE NOT DONE YET. Later on...

I found a random stretch of road... I was on Map 1 at this time and floored it at stop in Sport mode and sport shift position. It went to red line and went up Anne down the red line for about 4-5 times with popping sounds then put out “DRIVETRAIN MALFUNCTION” and a CEL where I pulled to the side of the road, read 2 of cylinders had misfires (no knocks). But when I restarted the car the malfunction message + CEL went away. I cleared codes and none came back. Been fine since.

Since then I did change my spark plugs to SILZKBR8E8S gapped to 0.020 now only difference is that I got a “Catless Downpipe Detected” in JB4 app which I NEVER got before no CEL yet because of this though.

UGHHHHHHH I’m over loaded Anyone have insight(s)? Thank you.

Old spark plugs... er these look pretty okay to me...
Did you update the firmware of the JB4? I know they took out the cat feature in the newer ones.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 12:08 PM   #3
lonecitizenfour
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
Did you update the firmware of the JB4? I know they took out the cat feature in the newer ones.
I got it recently and it never had the CEL clearing feature. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 01:05 PM   #4
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonecitizenfour View Post
I got it recently and it never had the CEL clearing feature. Cheers.
Just seems to have been a matter of time then lol. There is a fix to get the DP clearing capability back. Just search the forums or Google.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0