F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Stock exhaust vs. M performance
ARMA SPEED

08-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #1
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Stock exhaust vs. M performance

So i ordered my 335 msport.

I just learned about the brand new Port-Installed accessory program. Basically i can have the mperformance exhaust installed at the port when it gets here for $1375 and get 400 of that residualized.

So, my question is what kind of improvement over the stock system does the Mperformacne offer? Is the sound noticeably better(louder)

From the youtube videos i have seen the mperforamnce sounds raspier than stock but not much louder.

What do you guys think? thx
      08-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
kokopuffs405
Yup
Rep
Drives: BMW?

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
I would do it

I wish I did it for mine
      08-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

It's about 20% louder using my crappy ears. I like it... loud enough for me. I can't remember what stock sounds like now
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz View Post
It's about 20% louder using my crappy ears. I like it... loud enough for me. I can't remember what stock sounds like now
Did you lease your car? Did the price for the exhaust just get rolled into your monthly payemnt? if so how much more a month did it add? thx
      08-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
bananachipz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Did you lease your car? Did the price for the exhaust just get rolled into your monthly payemnt? if so how much more a month did it add? thx
I lease, but I bought the exhaust outright.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #6
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I lease, but I bought the exhaust outright.
Gotcha. I think i can get the exhaust rolled into my lease, just wondering if someone has done that and what it raises the monthly payment to.

at WOT how does it sound?
      08-20-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
bananachipz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Gotcha. I think i can get the exhaust rolled into my lease, just wondering if someone has done that and what it raises the monthly payment to.

at WOT how does it sound?
I like it. It's not going to be as deep or throaty as a full system, but it's loud enough for me and it sounds great.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
So i ordered my 335 msport.

I just learned about the brand new Port-Installed accessory program. Basically i can have the mperformance exhaust installed at the port when it gets here for $1375 and get 400 of that residualized.

So, my question is what kind of improvement over the stock system does the Mperformacne offer? Is the sound noticeably better(louder)

From the youtube videos i have seen the mperforamnce sounds raspier than stock but not much louder.

What do you guys think? thx
When I first heard the sport exhaust on a youtube video I didn't like it.
I too thought it was raspy, but not very good.
The Meisterkraft exhaust sounded much nicer on youtube video.

But, then I got a chance to actually hear the sport exhaust on a 335i, and drive it at the BMW drive event at my local dealer.
BIG difference in sound from a youtube vid to real life.
In person the sound is much nicer. It's not overbearing at all.
At idle the volume increase is there, but not crazy.
At partial throttle it sounds nice and in cabin you hear a cool tone.
There was no drone cruising at around 65mph. I don't know if there is any above that speed as I didn't cruise higher than that.

AT WFO the exhaust sounds great. Quite noticeable over stock, and again, not overbearing or ridiculously loud.
One of the coolest things you can hear with this exhaust is the over run burble on each shift with the sport AT. With the stock setup the over run is very quiet, and you have to have the audio off and window open to hear it. With the sport exhaust, window open, no audio, the burble is easily heard, and it sounds very cool. It's worth driving with the windows down and on audio playing just to hear the engine and exhaust playing with and off each other.

If you can get it rolled into the lease, it'll make a nice addition and be more distinctive.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #9
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post

But, then I got a chance to actually hear the sport exhaust on a 335i, and drive it at the BMW drive event at my local dealer.
There was no drone cruising at around 65mph. I don't know if there is any above that speed as I didn't cruise higher than that.

AT WFO the exhaust sounds great. Quite noticeable over stock, and again, not overbearing or ridiculously loud.
One of the coolest things you can hear with this exhaust is the over run burble on each shift with the sport AT. With the stock setup the over run is very quiet, and you have to have the audio off and window open to hear it. With the sport exhaust, window open, no audio, the burble is easily heard, and it sounds very cool. It's worth driving with the windows down and on audio playing just to hear the engine and exhaust playing with and off each other.

If you can get it rolled into the lease, it'll make a nice addition and be more distinctive.
Damn, it sounds nice. Wasn't planning on getting it as it will probably add 40 bucks to my lease. May need to reevaluate the HK system

might come down to HK vs exhaust.

I will go to the dealer this week and check out the stock exhaust and see how it sounds in person.

Thx!
      08-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #10
bananachipz
Captain
Rep

Quote:

100% agree on your assessment. I'm very happy with mine. Don't forget the engraved //M logos are pure sex
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #11
ocso1606
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M

Garage List
2007 BMW 525xi  [0.00]
2010 Volvo  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i M-Sport  [0.00]
If the port installs the performance exhaust, what happens to the original exhaust system?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #12
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocso1606 View Post
If the port installs the performance exhaust, what happens to the original exhaust system?
I think they keep it.

not sure the performance exhaust is worth 35bucks more a month on my lease but it sounds tempting lol
      08-21-2012, 03:20 AM   #13
JamesMA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

I did the SS exhaust at port. I am very happy with it. Rolled it into the cost of the car. It sounds real good inside the cabin and the bigger tips are a visual plus. Sound is definitely deeper, not US muscle car deep, but more than what the stock gives to my ears. No regrets here.

Gone: 2018 F80 ///M3 ZCP 6 MT, 2013 F30 335i 6MT M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #14
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I like it. It's not going to be as deep or throaty as a full system, but it's loud enough for me and it sounds great.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMA View Post
I did the SS exhaust at port. I am very happy with it. Rolled it into the cost of the car. It sounds real good inside the cabin and the bigger tips are a visual plus. Sound is definitely deeper, not US muscle car deep, but more than what the stock gives to my ears. No regrets here.
Question for you guys that own the performance exhaust or have heard it in person...

Does the left muffler stay close with the flap till 4000rpm like the stock exhaust?
      08-22-2012, 02:53 AM   #15
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Question for you guys that own the performance exhaust or have heard it in person...

Does the left muffler stay close with the flap till 4000rpm like the stock exhaust?
No, there is no flap in the M Performance exhaust. The main differences that give it its louder sound are the lack of this flap (meaning it's "open" all the time) and the fact that the muffler itself is made of a single layer of metal instead of two layers (so you also save a couple pounds).

If I had to choose between HK (a must-have if you ask me) and the exhaust, I would get HK and simply unplug the exhaust valve. I've had my valve unplugged for 35,000 miles now and love it every single day I drive my car, sounds very close to the Performance exhaust with zero ill effects. I've even asked a couple of my friends who are BMW techs and all of them assure me there are no draw backs to doing this. There are a number of ways people "golf tee" their exhausts, but the best way is to go into the trunk and simply unplug the connector so the valve stays open all the time. Search for a DIY guide on this site.

EDIT: Woops, I was talking about my 135i and forgot which forum I was on. Lucky for you my brother has an F30 328i and we unplugged his exhaust flap to test it but there was literally no change in the sound that you could notice so don't bother doing that.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #16
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
No, there is no flap in the M Performance exhaust. The main differences that give it its louder sound are the lack of this flap (meaning it's "open" all the time) and the fact that the muffler itself is made of a single layer of metal instead of two layers (so you also save a couple pounds).

If I had to choose between HK (a must-have if you ask me) and the exhaust, I would get HK and simply unplug the exhaust valve. I've had my valve unplugged for 35,000 miles now and love it every single day I drive my car, sounds very close to the Performance exhaust with zero ill effects. I've even asked a couple of my friends who are BMW techs and all of them assure me there are no draw backs to doing this. There are a number of ways people "golf tee" their exhausts, but the best way is to go into the trunk and simply unplug the connector so the valve stays open all the time. Search for a DIY guide on this site.

EDIT: Woops, I was talking about my 135i and forgot which forum I was on. Lucky for you my brother has an F30 328i and we unplugged his exhaust flap to test it but there was literally no change in the sound that you could notice so don't bother doing that.
Yea, on the F30 335, someone was able to do what your saying on the left exhaust but the flap would move around so they had to secure it with some wire...seems a lot of work for little improvement. Probably rather just add the performance exhaust for 30bucks a month.

Thx for the input.
      08-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #17
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

ordered the exhaust, hoping it sonds good and noticeable upgrade over stock.
      08-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #18
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Congrats, when I look at my muffler it looks like opening the flap actually bypasses the muffler entirely on a 135i. The other cars aren't like that so that must be why they gain comparatively little but my car is quite loud, especially on cold starts. I love it, post a video of yours once you give it a few hundred miles for the muffler to 'break in' or whatever, they tend to get a little louder over time.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #19
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Congrats, when I look at my muffler it looks like opening the flap actually bypasses the muffler entirely on a 135i. The other cars aren't like that so that must be why they gain comparatively little but my car is quite loud, especially on cold starts. I love it, post a video of yours once you give it a few hundred miles for the muffler to 'break in' or whatever, they tend to get a little louder over time.
yea, the 135 with performance exhuast sounds hella loud. If my car sounds close to the i would be happy. Tho i think the base 135 exhaust sounds louder than the base 335 exhaust so im not expecting the perfirmance exhuast to be as loud as the 135.
      08-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #20
fshubert
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

I did the exhaust upgrade at the dealer (the port install was just a few dollars cheaper). I did the golf-tee modification and love the sound from start to WOT. Back off the gas and you get the sweet sound of the engine slowing down the car.
      08-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #21
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshubert View Post
I did the exhaust upgrade at the dealer (the port install was just a few dollars cheaper). I did the golf-tee modification and love the sound from start to WOT. Back off the gas and you get the sweet sound of the engine slowing down the car.
What do you mean the golf tee mod??? i thought the m performance exhuast didnt have that flap?...

how do you like the sound? how does it compare to stock? is the upgrade noticeable?

Also, can you post a vid of how it sounds? maybe a cold start and a little rev action
      08-25-2012, 04:03 PM   #22
fshubert
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

It sure does! I was surprised. There's an electrically-actuated flap control (my E90 had a vacuum) on the driver's side. I'll take some pix and post in a minute.