F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Next ship out of South Africa?
ARMA SPEED

12-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
new2013baby
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW 325Ci

Production finished on my 2013 328i Sport Line (South African build). The car is now on its way to the port of exit.

Does anyone know when the next ship departs from South Africa?

Last edited by new2013baby; 12-15-2012 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 12:07 AM   #2
nikneo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport

heh.. i finished production on a 2013 sport line exactly a month ago today. its still sitting at port. No idea when the next ship is.. I've pretty much given up
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 07:35 AM   #3
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

OP, I'll guess around Valentine's Day. Be sure you and your CA lock in the holiday credits in advance of expiration or you'll lose them.

Your CA can advise when the car is assigned to a ship. If the ship stops in Bremerhaven first and car is offloaded this can add 2 weeks to your transit time. Ship transit time from SA to Brunswick, GA is typically 30-45 days. Then figure another 7-10 days before car arrives to dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
new2013baby
Private
United_States
Rep

Just called the 800 number for the status on my SA build. Still in a "released to carrier and on the way to the port of exit" status. Has been in this status for about a week.

Hoping it makes it to the port in time for the next ship ...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
ianturner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

next east coast ship is Dec 17
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 01:36 AM   #6
bzguy888
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

My SA built 328i finished production on 11/13. Took 15 days before being transported to the port of exits. Now at port waiting for vessel. Things definitely move at snail's pace out of SA. Unfortunately unable to find something close at the area dealers, otherwise I would have pulled the plug weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #7
new2013baby
Private
United_States
Rep

Interesting wait times.

Hopefully, we'll all make it out on the 17th.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
azzurro
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzguy888 View Post
My SA built 328i finished production on 11/13. Took 15 days before being transported to the port of exits. Now at port waiting for vessel. Things definitely move at snail's pace out of SA. Unfortunately unable to find something close at the area dealers, otherwise I would have pulled the plug weeks ago.
This SA build is a can of worms that even the CA's overhere are just learning about. Some cars start production in the first week while others start a month or more.

Production for some lasts 4 or 5 days while others take 11 or 12 days. Then it sits waiting to get transported to the port which takes several days to two weeks to a month. Then it waits to get on a boat....on and on and on.

What color, specs did you order? It seems like the dealers (at least in SoCal) are seeing more 335i's coming available. Your car (and my ordered one) isn't going to be here until probably February now. I would think in SF a delaer up there might be able to find something close. Start sending out some emails and check...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #9
bzguy888
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurro View Post
This SA build is a can of worms that even the CA's overhere are just learning about. Some cars start production in the first week while others start a month or more.

Production for some lasts 4 or 5 days while others take 11 or 12 days. Then it sits waiting to get transported to the port which takes several days to two weeks to a month. Then it waits to get on a boat....on and on and on.

What color, specs did you order? It seems like the dealers (at least in SoCal) are seeing more 335i's coming available. Your car (and my ordered one) isn't going to be here until probably February now. I would think in SF a delaer up there might be able to find something close. Start sending out some emails and check...
Thanks for the advise. It's interesting how few in dealer inventory has the lighting package. On top of that, even fewer with window curtains (occasional babies in the car and don't want window tints other times).
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
azzurro
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzguy888 View Post
Thanks for the advise. It's interesting how few in dealer inventory has the lighting package. On top of that, even fewer with window curtains (occasional babies in the car and don't want window tints other times).
I can tell you from experience that the more specific you are about your car the least likely it's going to happen. If you're looking for something right away and are tired of waiting for your build, you'll have to compromise. Some things you want, you won't get and some things you'll get that you didn't want.

Most of the cars I've looked at with the window curtains are fully loaded $58,000 MSRP plus. I think enthusiasts get caught up in their specific build but in the end you have to decide what extras are deal killers and which things you can live with. Like aluminum hex vs burl wood...who cares? Only you can decide this. The alternative is waiting another two months to get your car. For me, I'd rather compromise to get it now.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #11
DigitalMPower
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3C xDrive

^^^ I disagree about the aluminum vs. burl wood argument, that is a major part of the interior and would want that done per my liking. I don't want burl wood in my car, but that is just personal preference some people like it.

I think you would have things more like lane change assist and window curtains as things no one cares about - you have options to fix that such as tint and also the good ole school way of looking over your shoulder before changing lanes.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 11:27 PM   #12
azzurro
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMPower View Post
^^^ I disagree about the aluminum vs. burl wood argument, that is a major part of the interior and would want that done per my liking. I don't want burl wood in my car, but that is just personal preference some people like it.

I think you would have things more like lane change assist and window curtains as things no one cares about - you have options to fix that such as tint and also the good ole school way of looking over your shoulder before changing lanes.
I would rather have aluminum hex but it's not a deal killer for me if I get a car two months before my order arrives. Accepting a car close to my build is a compromise.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 11:37 PM   #13
mark.L
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i

If it were me personally, I would never 'compromise' per se on a car which costs $50k. I'd want it EXACTLY the way I like it. But then again that's just my personal take on it.
It really depends on your situation, and more importantly your NEEDS. If you absolutely need the car within the next week, month etc. then only go ahead and compromise and buy one off the lot. As far as the $1k holiday rebate goes, you'd get that irrespective of when you take delivery, all your CA needs to do is lock you in to the program.
And I absolutely understand the agony of waiting for your car, but the end reward will be much pleasant as you'll be getting the car specifically built for you.
      12-05-2012, 12:13 AM   #14
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would rather have aluminum hex but it's not a deal killer for me if I get a car two months before my order arrives. Accepting a car close to my build is a compromise.
I have aluminum in my 2010 MSport. Its modern, but I have grown tired of it and chose wood this time around. Plus the aluminum shows every little scratch. I am so, so careful and still managed to get a couple noticeable scratches on the center console.

Meanwhile my SA says my aluminum looks 10x better than the majority of cars he sees. He tells me people dent the door trims, etc..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 01:53 AM   #15
azzurro
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.L View Post
If it were me personally, I would never 'compromise' per se on a car which costs $50k. I'd want it EXACTLY the way I like it. But then again that's just my personal take on it.
It really depends on your situation, and more importantly your NEEDS. If you absolutely need the car within the next week, month etc. then only go ahead and compromise and buy one off the lot. As far as the $1k holiday rebate goes, you'd get that irrespective of when you take delivery, all your CA needs to do is lock you in to the program.
And I absolutely understand the agony of waiting for your car, but the end reward will be much pleasant as you'll be getting the car specifically built for you.
I cared originally but now I don't care. I thought I wanted Steptronic auto but if I get Sport auto..OK. I wanted HK, if I don't get it..no worries. I wanted Dynamic Handling..if I don't get it..OK. I wanted 18" tires..if I get 19"..I'm good. I guess the waiting thing has changed my mind. Things I thought were important really aren't. The car will be great the way I get it especially if I get it two months before my build arrives. This is where I am.

I will report back on my adventures in the next 48 hours when I know something. There is no right or wrong here with me, I just want a car.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 01:55 AM   #16
azzurro
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
I have aluminum in my 2010 MSport. Its modern, but I have grown tired of it and chose wood this time around. Plus the aluminum shows every little scratch. I am so, so careful and still managed to get a couple noticeable scratches on the center console.

Meanwhile my SA says my aluminum looks 10x better than the majority of cars he sees. He tells me people dent the door trims, etc..
Originally, I wanted wood but everyone said that I should get aluminum to go with MSport. At this point if I get wood...I'm OK.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 06:59 AM   #17
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally, I wanted wood but everyone said that I should get aluminum to go with MSport. At this point if I get wood...I'm OK.
I could care less what others think about my color/interior trim choice. Unless of course they are interested in making my monthly payments in which case I'll hear them out.

Seriously, ask a smart SA at your dealer about the aluminum trim and scratching/denting. Ask him which one typically holds up better over time.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #18
azzurro
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
I could care less what others think about my color/interior trim choice. Unless of course they are interested in making my monthly payments in which case I'll hear them out.

Seriously, ask a smart SA at your dealer about the aluminum trim and scratching/denting. Ask him which one typically holds up better over time.
I totally believe you and didn't even think of the denting issue. If they find me a car with the burl wood I will take it.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #19
new2013baby
Private
United_States
Rep

My vehicle finally made it to the port of exit. Who else is in the same spot?

Fingers crossed we ship out soon (on or before December 17).
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #20
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

My vehicle is also currently "in transit to the port exit".

What is the official source of information about ship departure dates and planned routes?

My vehicle will be going to the US West Coast.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #21
TheDuke83
Gator
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M3

My car is finishing in production right now in SA. I found a car at a different dealer I'd be interested in. How likely are you able have my current dealerget the car from the other dealer or to get out of the order with the current dealer? I'm worried about losing the incentives although they have promised me I'd be able to apply them.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #22
Dinh335
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 RX8/2015 M3/2017 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2013baby View Post
My vehicle finally made it to the port of exit. Who else is in the same spot?

Fingers crossed we ship out soon (on or before December 17).
how long did it take it to change yours from in transport to actually at port? Mine just finished production and is in transport to port so just curious on how to set my expectations other than, well, slow.
Appreciate 0