F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW 3 Series Sedan rolls off Rosslyn line for the last time
proTUNING Freaks

02-22-2018, 09:59 AM   #23
montpier
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F36 440xi GC

Notwithstanding some of the recent political corruption issues the country has experienced personally applaud BMW for its continued commitment to a South Africa manufacturing presence.

Just speaking at lunch yesterday with a college educator who had recently visited the country and, while I gather conditions are much improved since I was last in Johannesburg in late 90's, it is still a country where this kind of investment can presumably have a positive impact.

Last edited by montpier; 02-22-2018 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 3
ceedawg466.00
jeffc83722.00
      02-22-2018, 09:59 AM   #24
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport 6MT+RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
from a brand new factory with brand new equipment with workers trained solely on the brand new equipment? whats the problem there?
No problem because it's the world we live in, I think it'd be good info going forward though.

Personally, I'd like my BMW coming from Germany just because it's a BMW, especially because I like keeping my cars for a while Not sure the word I'm looking for but it just adds to it that it was built in it's origin country... all personal preference.
      02-22-2018, 10:06 AM   #25
ghaffari46
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 e90

In 1978 My dad bought a Bmw 518 "de luxe" which was made in South Africa, with sport wheels, electric mirror and lots of chrome detailing. it was standing out among other Germany made 5 series. ( there was no "German made" de luxe " version to the best of my knowledge at that time). It was an astonishing car and very well built.
Appreciate 2
      02-22-2018, 10:10 AM   #26
montpier
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F36 440xi GC

And as a former owner of a Magna Steyr (European) built X3 at least in my experience yes, new factory + new model may be more prone to initial quality opportunities but as others note, newer manufacturing line and more scrutiny of production could be a plus.

Seems premature to make assumptions based upon country of origin (or even worse, nationality/implicit ethnicity of the work force).

Okay, I'll get off my high horse.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2018, 10:31 AM   #27
FreudeamFahren18
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80, 2022 G80m

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBM1206 View Post
To fix various build quality issues, I guess.
I highly doubt it has anything to do with quality issues granted the article states this plant was given the highest award. Essentially making the plant the best in the world.

In June 2015, BMW Plant Rosslyn was awarded the Platinum Plant Quality Award in the J.D. Power 2015 Initial Quality Study (IQS). This award made Plant Rosslyn the best plant in the world in the Initial Quality Study 2015.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 10:40 AM   #28
FreudeamFahren18
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80, 2022 G80m

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMat135 View Post
I wonder if these new 3 serie will have import tax in USA.
why would there be any additional import tax? Just coz they are made in Mexico? I don't understand your argument here.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 10:52 AM   #29
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreudeamFahren18 View Post
Quote:
I wonder if these new 3 serie will have import tax in USA.
why would there be any additional import tax? Just coz they are made in Mexico? I don't understand your argument here.
Trump wasn't suppose to go after car company that build in Mexico? I remember him made a statement about this specific factory.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 11:03 AM   #30
LemonOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///Most Powerful Letter

Glad one of the worst designed 3 series models ever made is fading out.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 11:06 AM   #31
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterX View Post
So North American 3 Series will now come from Mexico?
They can somehow build more with Tequila as a refresher.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 11:12 AM   #32
Mr. Tasty
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 335i Mperformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonOne View Post
bmw e36?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 11:12 AM   #33
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonOne View Post
Snicker. True.

But our Rosslyn made F30 was well made. My Mexican made GTI is well made. My US built M Coupe was well made. Various German made BMW's have made me think that German made isn't all that important.
Appreciate 3
      02-22-2018, 11:13 AM   #34
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterX View Post
No problem because it's the world we live in, I think it'd be good info going forward though.

Personally, I'd like my BMW coming from Germany just because it's a BMW, especially because I like keeping my cars for a while Not sure the word I'm looking for but it just adds to it that it was built in it's origin country... all personal preference.
There are some of the best rare collectable high end high performance BMWs,built in South Africa that you cant get here in the states!

Ex: old school M535i (M5 equivalent or actually first M5),early 93 E36 M3 and ALPINA 333i with 3.2 L6 for example just to name a few.

http://www.bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=3

http://www.bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=6
      02-22-2018, 11:34 AM   #35
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Some of you guys would probably be sorely disappointed to know just how much of merch sold in the USA is made in Mexico. You should be happy too, otherwise your tax decrease would be consumed by an increased price of goods. IMO there's nothing wrong with it considering the management and engineering styles will all be the same. My friend that worked in the South Carolina plant had sponsored German language classes just so she could keep up, because it all funnels back through HQ in Europe regardless.

I do understand wanting a German car to be made in Germany on principle though. But keep in mind that not all 3 series will be made in Mexico. Only certain trims.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 3
      02-22-2018, 12:11 PM   #36
BMW M Power Mexico
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E60M5,E821M,F15X5V8

Sad to see stupidity and yeah, racism, is very much alive and well with several forum members who evidently have zero idea about the true manufacturing capacity in Mexico. There is a reason the industry here is growing more than anywhere else in the NAFTA region. And hint: it is not only labour costs. A whole ecosystem of auto manufacturing is one of the, admittedly few, success stories here.

Maybe you´d rather have your BMWs made in Asia with much less input of US made auto parts?

Go get a Q5. Oops, made in Mexico too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska///235i View Post
Hahaha, good luck future buyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domotron View Post
good ! not a big fan of that dump anyways
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicdebris48059 View Post
Oh No!?... Say it isn't so!!! :
Quote:
Originally Posted by DML View Post
My reaction exactly, might as well purchase a freakin VW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMvy View Post
And your new 3 series just may come with a brick of dope, marijuana, et al. Just look at Ford when they moved their production there.
Fortunately, also several members with a reasonable perspective on this globalization-driven shifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_F36 View Post
These are highly automated plants, no worries there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by montpier View Post
Seems premature to make assumptions based upon country of origin (or even worse, nationality/implicit ethnicity of the work force).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
Some of you guys would probably be sorely disappointed to know just how much of merch sold in the USA is made in Mexico. You should be happy too, otherwise your tax decrease would be consumed by an increased price of goods. IMO there's nothing wrong with it considering the management and engineering styles will all be the same. My friend that worked in the South Carolina plant had sponsored German language classes just so she could keep up, because it all funnels back through HQ in Europe regardless.

I do understand wanting a German car to be made in Germany on principle though. But keep in mind that not all 3 series will be made in Mexico. Only certain trims.
Quote:
Notwithstanding some of the recent political corruption issues the country has experienced personally applaud BMW for its continued commitment to a South Africa manufacturing presence.

Just speaking at lunch yesterday with a college educator who had recently visited the country and, while I gather conditions are much improved since I was last in Johannesburg in late 90's, it is still a country where this kind of investment can presumably have a positive impact.
Appreciate 15
Vervain396.50
Mr. Tasty427.50
ceedawg466.00
Red Bread4462.00
Stubok471.50
LRW7075.50
ZMM_OMG143.00
kern4174442.00
bri10425751.00
bcoz80.50
      02-22-2018, 12:26 PM   #37
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

What a feat. Great job on the 3 series. Literally defined the segment throughout these years.
      02-22-2018, 12:32 PM   #38
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M Power Mexico View Post
Sad to see stupidity and yeah, racism, is very much alive and well with several forum members who evidently have zero idea about the true manufacturing capacity in Mexico. There is a reason the industry here is growing more than anywhere else in the NAFTA region. And hint: it is not only labour costs. A whole ecosystem of auto manufacturing is one of the, admittedly few, success stories here.

Maybe you´d rather have your BMWs made in Asia with much less input of US made auto parts?

Fortunately, also several members with a reasonable perspective on this globalization-driven shifts.
Amen!! Ignorance at its worst!!! Unreal but glad that there are some intellects here that have a broader mind scope. Thanks for pointing this out and also for addressing the close minded.
      02-22-2018, 01:05 PM   #39
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
Trump wasn't suppose to go after car company that build in Mexico? I remember him made a statement about this specific factory.
Yes he did and BMW told him they didnt care and would continue to build the factory in mexico. With the SUV market growing at the pace it is in the US, i wouldnt be surprised if we end up importing less sedans in years to come.
      02-22-2018, 01:46 PM   #40
El Conquistador
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240 Vert - 6M as god intended

Can't tell if this thread is more discriminatory to Mexico or South Africa.
Appreciate 5
      02-22-2018, 01:53 PM   #41
DEANBENN
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 320i Sportpack Black

South African build 3 series models are some of the best in terms of build quality. Rosslyn is one of the best BMW factories in the world!Some fools are ignorant on here...
Appreciate 3
      02-22-2018, 02:14 PM   #42
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M Power Mexico View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska///235i View Post
Hahaha, good luck future buyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domotron View Post
good ! not a big fan of that dump anyways
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicdebris48059 View Post
Oh No!?... Say it isn't so!!! :
Quote:
Originally Posted by DML View Post
My reaction exactly, might as well purchase a freakin VW.
Quote:
And your new 3 series just may come with a brick of dope, marijuana, et al. Just look at Ford when they moved their production there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_F36 View Post
These are highly automated plants, no worries there.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post

Quote:

Racist? Relax man!

All my BMWs were made in Germany for the last 16 years and if that isnt the case anymore then Im not paying that Premium to have something made else where....is simple as that!

I could care less how good the plan is (wherever is at). If BMW wants to cut cost to have it made somewhere else then apply that saving to the customers also.
Appreciate 3
sspade2460.00
      02-22-2018, 02:55 PM   #43
uncleruckus
no relation
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xDrive

At the end of the day, it all comes down to how good the QA is at the plant.

I would prefer to have a very reliable car over one that has minor build issues .... regardless of region. Just because a car is built in a certain geographical location, doesn't mean it's inherently worst.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2018, 02:56 PM   #44
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Added bonus.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 3