F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > MSPPK warranty replacement
proTUNING Freaks

11-28-2017, 06:14 PM   #1
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

MSPPK warranty replacement

Has anybody heard of this before?

My car is a 2018 LCI F32 with a port installed MSPPK. The thing sounds kind of like the dry clutch on a Ducati and I'm not sure if the flaps are opening properly.

The dealer says they are replacing the entire exhaust system due to a persistent rattle. They spent an entire day going through it and can't find any loose brackets, clamps, heat shields or other fittings, so they're giving up and having BMW ship a complete replacement.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 06:31 PM   #2
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

There are several know issues with MPPSK exhaust rattles. First off the valves tend to rattle a bit especially during startup but after about 90 seconds that goes away when I always open them. There is also an alignment issue where a section of the exhaust pipe can make contact with the car, a simple fix for that. I've seen mention of Cat's rattling on here but this is the first full replacement of the MPPSK exhaust I've heard of. Keep us posted.
      11-28-2017, 06:39 PM   #3
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

To open the flaps, are you using a coding program like Carly, an add-on flap control module like the one from the JB4 people, or just putting it into sport mode?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 09:19 PM   #4
ONEof500
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 30 Jahre

Have them check the heat shield above the exhaust for rubbing / contact. This was the issue I had.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 11:42 PM   #5
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmesq View Post
To open the flaps, are you using a coding program like Carly, an add-on flap control module like the one from the JB4 people, or just putting it into sport mode?
I just put it in Sport mode when I start it up, after the waste gate closes and the idle drops the valves will open, usually takes about 90 seconds or so.
jalx16.50
      12-03-2017, 04:06 AM   #6
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

UPDATE: Picked up the car yesterday. They ordered a BMW performance exhaust, not the MSPPK unit, so it'll be a week before they have the correct part. (BMW wouldn't let them break up a kit.)

The tech says the right side flap doesn't seem to be attached to the servo motor, so it's just rattling instead of opening and closing.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 04:01 PM   #7
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
UPDATE: Picked up the car yesterday. They ordered a BMW performance exhaust, not the MSPPK unit, so it'll be a week before they have the correct part. (BMW wouldn't let them break up a kit.)

The tech says the right side flap doesn't seem to be attached to the servo motor, so it's just rattling instead of opening and closing.
Bummer! But it will be worth the wait for you I suspect and a week isn't too long. The MPE is a different exhaust system than the MPPSK uses so no interchangeability anyway. Hope they at least secured the rattle, no reason you should have to put up with that for an extra week.
      12-03-2017, 10:07 PM   #8
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:

That sucks! My car is at the vpc right now getting mppsk port installed. Sounds like this was just a one off part failure, it happens. Definitely one of the pluses of doing mppsk vs aftermarket, repair/replace as easy as any trip to the dealer under warranty

I also think VPC cars have much fewer instances of the heat shield rattle, could be wrong on that
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 08:37 PM   #9
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beek View Post
Bummer! But it will be worth the wait for you I suspect and a week isn't too long. The MPE is a different exhaust system than the MPPSK uses so no interchangeability anyway. Hope they at least secured the rattle, no reason you should have to put up with that for an extra week.
They said they couldn't secure the rattle because it was the flap inside the resonator/muffler unit. The tech tore the entire system apart and assures me that the heat shields are very secure and not the problem.

I've lived with it for a few months, ever since I got the car, because I was having too much fun driving it... so a few more days won't matter. Definition of a first world problem: The disappointment I experienced every morning when I walked into my garage and found the X1 loaner from the dealer instead of my car!

I just pretend it's like the dry clutch on a Ducati: an annoying sound that makes it even cooler.

Appreciate 1
Beek705.50
      12-12-2017, 01:54 PM   #10
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Update: The car is back, without the annoying rattle. Dropped off the car first thing yesterday morning and the exhaust replacement was done by noon. They even did a mini-detail because they forgot to wash and vacuum it before I picked it up last time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
That sucks! My car is at the vpc right now getting mppsk port installed. Sounds like this was just a one off part failure, it happens. Definitely one of the pluses of doing mppsk vs aftermarket, repair/replace as easy as any trip to the dealer under warranty

I also think VPC cars have much fewer instances of the heat shield rattle, could be wrong on that
Yep, looks like a random part failure... although it should have been caught at VPC because the rattle existed from delivery. That's why I thought "they all do that." My car was the first MSPPK in the area, but the dealer has since delivered another one, which is why they decided to fix the rattle.

The heat shields are definitely not a problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 08:22 PM   #11
babyboss
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 640d Msport

Garage List
2012 640d  [0.00]
What i found is that som mppk xh sound louder than others ..
No rattles jus like the louder car has a dp but not ..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 07:04 PM   #12
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyboss View Post
What i found is that som mppk xh sound louder than others ..
No rattles jus like the louder car has a dp but not ..
Nope, not my issue. The thing clattered like a paint can full of ball bearings on one of those shakers at the hardware store.
Appreciate 0