F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > F31 LCI interior light problem
ARMA SPEED

02-10-2016, 03:42 PM   #23
bodtwo
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

Been to busy to speak to dealer, but I'll be calling them next wee to get this looked at.

Sounds trivial but becomes very annoying.
      02-10-2016, 03:54 PM   #24
HiBee
Major
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp 2019. DG & Silverston

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodtwo View Post
Ok, new F31 LCI and I've noticed an odd problem with the interior rear passenger lights, the ones on the ceiling by the grab handles.

Every now and again one of them will come on, it might be the left and then next time the right. To turn them off I've been turning all the interior lights on and then off using the button above the driver.

It's very random and very annoying, the other thing is that it seems to be linked to using ACC and when you come up to a stop behind a car, although that may just be random.

Has anyone had interior lights randomly turning themselves on and off?

Thanks all.
No issues at my end, although TBH i've never noticed.
Get it checked out at dealership.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 05:25 PM   #25
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Now I've also got this bloody problem!!

First the rear left reading light, then the rear right later on!

Also using ACC.
Hold on, you don't have a F31!

Loving the fact this virus is spreading though
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 06:00 PM   #26
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daftasabrush View Post

Yep, the lights are in the middle of the roof on F30, so different units by the sounds of it. It's obviously a software problem which thinks the door is open for some reason!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 06:11 PM   #27
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston
Quote:

Yep, the lights are in the middle of the roof on F30, so different units by the sounds of it. It's obviously a software problem which thinks the door is open for some reason!
Same as f31s without sunroofs, I don't think it's to do with doors being 'open' though, the lights are brighter with doors open and the dash would complain too.
      02-10-2016, 06:15 PM   #28
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Same as f31s without sunroofs, I don't think it's to do with doors being 'open' though, the lights are brighter with doors open and the dash would complain too.
My lights come on exactly like that when i open the corresponding door!

I'm not saying the whole system thinks the door is open, just that it's mistakingly sending the message to the light that the door is open.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 12:13 AM   #29
Jonathan1822
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche Boxster S

Also had this - LCI F31. Noticed when on motorways generally, cannot pin down, but as identified may be ACC. Central roof light comes on, but it down to reaching around to dog in back and catching but looks like it might be electrical/config issue!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 04:47 AM   #30
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaspoon View Post
My lights come on exactly like that when i open the corresponding door!

I'm not saying the whole system thinks the door is open, just that it's mistakingly sending the message to the light that the door is open.
Thing is, computers work with logic, the light comes on with that intensity when you manually switch it on, so the computer is thinking, for some reason, that the switch has been pressed.

This could be due to faulty wiring from the switch to the FEM (or REM, not sure which controls it), incorrect switch resistance (I'd expect there to only be two or three control cables from the light module and the FEM or REM to know which button has been pressed by different resistances being introduced across connectors. A lot of devices like TV remotes etc use similar methods to multiplex signals across much fewer cables than buttons/devices to save on wiring) or the REM or something temperature dependent, or just random coding issues.

I'd expect the door open issue to manifest itself with other problems because the trigger for the light to come on then, isn't a switch that just controls the light, it's a switch that tells the module the door is open which kick starts other things to happen.

Either way, I very much doubt any of us are going to get to the bottom of it, and sadly, I suspect dealers will be just as clueless so it'll need someone who's willing to leave their car with a dealer for a lengthy period of time and then have them drive it for xx miles and look out for it, if it happens. The chances of this happening are slim to none.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 07:54 AM   #31
mpawood
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 435d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
That said, I've been away from my car for 5 weeks and won't see it until next week so it'll be interesting to see if it's still going on.
How have you coped?! I'd have made a special trip back to see it, possibly see the wife at the same time, maybe.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 08:20 AM   #32
saltyamigo
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Yes

Seems a very random fault to be associated with the ACC system, hopefully BMW are aware and a software update sorts it out. I've never had this problem on my LCI but unfortunately I don't have ACC
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 11:06 AM   #33
Drek
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ferrari F430 F1

Just to reiterate, I've had this happen when my ACC has been off so I don't believe that ACC is a causal factor. It may be related but not the root of the problem.
www.bmwland.org.uk
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 12:50 PM   #34
AlfaM
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340d

Quote:
Just to reiterate, I've had this happen when my ACC has been off so I don't believe that ACC is a causal factor. It may be related but not the root of the problem.
ACC might be off but the hardware software is still there. It seems that everyone who has had an issue also has ACC fitted - whether its running or not.

My light came on during my last 350 mile ACC enabled trip, and it hasn't happened since. I've got another 350 mile trip tomorrow, so i'll report back tomorrow evening.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 04:24 PM   #35
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Mine did it again this morning!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 05:13 PM   #36
Drek
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
ACC might be off but the hardware software is still there. It seems that everyone who has had an issue also has ACC fitted - whether its running or not.

My light came on during my last 350 mile ACC enabled trip, and it hasn't happened since. I've got another 350 mile trip tomorrow, so i'll report back tomorrow evening.
Um, which was exactly my point! It may be related but I don't believe it's causal.
www.bmwland.org.uk
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 02:08 AM   #37
flintymutt
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d X-Drive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyamigo View Post
Seems a very random fault to be associated with the ACC system, hopefully BMW are aware and a software update sorts it out. I've never had this problem on my LCI but unfortunately I don't have ACC
It's not ACC as they've come on whilst I've been driving without it switched on.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 02:10 AM   #38
flintymutt
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d X-Drive Touring

Quote:
Ditto. I've emailed my dealer to see if there's a BMW wide awareness of this. It's no big issue. Will probably wait until first service to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 07:10 AM   #39
AlfaM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Um, which was exactly my point! It may be related but I don't believe it's causal.
If its related then its causal.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 07:48 AM   #40
Drek
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If its related then its causal.
No it isn't, correlation does not mean causation. Any number of factors can influence an action and you can prove this through regression analysis if you want to be really geeky. The mere presence of a factor that may or may not be a significant influence on an outcome does not, in and of itself, make it a causal factor.
www.bmwland.org.uk
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 08:25 AM   #41
AlfaM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
No it isn't, correlation does not mean causation. Any number of factors can influence an action and you can prove this through regression analysis if you want to be really geeky. The mere presence of a factor that may or may not be a significant influence on an outcome does not, in and of itself, make it a causal factor.
Reading this thread it's obvious that cars fitted with ACC hardware (running or not) suffer from 'phantom light syndrome' - a term I've coined.

There are few other factor in play here - I don't believe the age, drinking habits or social class of the driver are playing any part in this.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 08:34 AM   #42
Drek
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Reading this thread it's obvious that cars fitted with ACC hardware (running or not) suffer from 'phantom light syndrome' - a term I've coined.

There are few other factor in play here - I don't believe the age, drinking habits or social class of the driver are playing any part in this.
Neither do I so I'm not sure why you've brought them up really.
www.bmwland.org.uk
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 02:44 PM   #43
TimMcC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW I01 i3S & Jaguar I-Pace

This happened in my F32 today. The wife has mentioned it before and I didn't believe her! My car also has ACC fitted...
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 03:22 PM   #44
AlfaM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Neither do I so I'm not sure why you've brought them up really.
Does anyone on here not have Aspergers?
Appreciate 0