F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > M Performance Sport Brake Step by Step Coding
Extreme Powerhouse

04-02-2017, 12:03 PM   #45
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanview View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejan_ View Post
It made a very nice difference in pedal feel. Mush was eliminated and it is super nice now throughout the travel range of the pedal.

I also noticed under DSC it remained the factory setting of 340mm/330mm and coded to appropriate bigger disc sizes and FWIW I didn't notice any difference.

All this thanks to shawnsheridan super helpful and provided awesome step by step directions.
Just because I was wondering, I FDL coded the values
C_Variante_Bremsscheibe_vorne_e
C_Variante_Bremsattel_vorne_e
C_Variante_Bremsscheibe_hinten_e
C_Variante_Bremsattel_hinten_e
to the lowest possible like a 316i brake setup.
Took a drive around the block and didn't notice any difference.
(Then recoded the FDL to the right M Performance values.)

Didn't have much time to spend, just my quick impression.
I assume probably VO coding changes a bunch of values.
I also don't know, what exactly will change. (Initial brake pressure, emergency brake pressure, behaving of ABS/DSC, front rear brake balance....) I would be interested to know.
I'm honestly not sure. I just know VO coding made a huge difference and FDL alone without coding did nothing. Also FDL coding after VO coding made no noticeable difference. I VO coded twice just for fun and each time I checked it left the FDL values as default what my car came with.

I'm sure VO coding makes a huge amount of changes and I like it since dealership cannot overwrite it with updates as they can with FDL.

I'm still interested in better brake pads however. This dust is ridiculous. I'm researching pads now.
      04-18-2017, 10:13 PM   #46
hardparker
Father of Frankenfold
Rep
Drives: Yo daddy's 2014 X3 M Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [0.00]
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Just because I was wondering, I FDL coded the values
to the lowest possible like a 316i brake setup.
Took a drive around the block and didn't notice any difference.
(Then recoded the FDL to the right M Performance values.)

Didn't have much time to spend, just my quick impression.
I assume probably VO coding changes a bunch of values.
I also don't know, what exactly will change. (Initial brake pressure, emergency brake pressure, behaving of ABS/DSC, front rear brake balance....) I would be interested to know.
What were the possible and "right" values for your setup for the following, oceanview?

Also, did you see anything similar to DRUCKMODELL_VA or DRUCKMODELL_HA for front and rear pressure model? I'm wondering if that's the key setting for the bias and pressure in the brake controller.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 04:36 AM   #47
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

hardparker
I think that what Dejan_ writes is the right approach.
The brakes should be VO coded.

My brakes where coded by the dealer. I recently checked these values and saw, that they where not reflecting my effective setup. So I FA coded those to 370 / 345 and M4.40.40 / M2 (front/rear)

but I couldn't tell a difference in brake behaviour.
As I'm not the professional in coding and I don't know what in detail will be changed when VO coding the SPBR, I don't want to give you any wrong advice.

Actually I wonder myself, how the brake pressure and brake power balance front/rear are changed when coding a different brake setup. And I also wonder if FDL coding makes any difference. And if it does, changing which values make what kind of difference.
Questions over questions....

Sorry not being helpful for you.
335i F31 RWD in SB || Powertrain: Active Autowerke Flash Tune Stage 1 | AA Charge Pipe | AA FMIC | GFB DV+ | xHD Trans-Flash | Quaife LSD | Cyba 3.5" Carbon tips || Chassis: 20" 405M | Wiechers Strut Bar | Rear M-Diffusor || Brakes: 18" M-Perf Brake orange 370/345 | EBC YellowStuff pads all around || Various: LED bulbs: Fog-L. front | Turn Signal f&r | Brake L. | Reverse L. | Rear L. | Rear Fog L.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 05:54 AM   #48
graphys
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
hardparker

My brakes where coded by the dealer. I recently checked these values and saw, that they where not reflecting my effective setup. So I FA coded those to 370 / 345 and M4.40.40 / M2 (front/rear)

As I'm not the professional in coding and I don't know what in detail will be changed when VO coding the SPBR, I don't want to give you any wrong advice.

Actually I wonder myself, how the brake pressure and brake power balance front/rear are changed when coding a different brake setup. And I also wonder if FDL coding makes any difference. And if it does, changing which values make what kind of difference.

Can you find any solution? I think your dsc code (spbr) not apply your unit. Because sbpr change front/rear bremsattel value.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 10:42 AM   #49
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphys View Post
Quote:
hardparker

Can you find any solution? I think your dsc code (spbr) not apply your unit. Because sbpr change front/rear bremsattel value.
The solution is to VO code SPBR under HO-wort. FDL coding front and rear values does nothing as I've stated in numerous posts above.

To truly code and add sport brakes VO coding is the only way, SPBR under HO-wort applies to every car and must be done, not understanding what you're saying by it's doesn't apply to his car..
      05-03-2017, 11:29 AM   #50
graphys
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
The solution is to VO code SPBR under HO-wort. FDL coding front and rear values does nothing as I've stated in numerous posts above.

To truly code and add sport brakes VO coding is the only way, SPBR under HO-wort applies to every car and must be done, not understanding what you're saying by it's doesn't apply to his car..
I added SPBR in Ho-wort and write fa my car. But SPBR not change anything on my dsc fdl.

Can you share after and before screenshot your dsc fdl? For 5 parameters.

And

C_Trockenbremsen_Druckhoehe_C
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 11:41 AM   #51
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphys View Post
Quote:

I added SPBR in Ho-wort and write fa my car. But SPBR not change anything on my dsc fdl.

Can you share after and before screenshot your dsc fdl? For 4 parameters.
Correct it won't change DSC values under FDL CAFD files. It stays default values as it came from the factory. Mine stayed 340mm front and 330mm rear as yours did as well.
Changing FDL values by themselves will have zero effect on brake pedal firmness by itself. I've tried it does nothing .

However once you VO code and write SPBR to vehicle order, only then will the brake pedal feel change as it reaches the ECU, it understands to adjust higher piston clamping force, and the brake booster sends more pressure as well. This is the only way to correctly do it.
And again once you VO code "SPBR" under HO-wort and once you code the DSC module itself, NOT "FDL" code but again code DSC module in the SVT readout it takes effect. And once you go into the cafd folder to see the C_Variante_Bremsscheibe_vorne_e, and C_Variante_Bremsattel_vorne_e values they will still remain oem 340mm front and 330mm rear.

Why? I have no idea. You can change them for fun but it does nothing.

Hope this helps.
      05-05-2017, 06:54 PM   #52
hardparker
Father of Frankenfold
Rep
Drives: Yo daddy's 2014 X3 M Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [0.00]
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
I've assumed that SPBR VO coding won't work on vehicles where the M Performance kit is inapplicable because it's not offered as an option or retrofit. Such as the X1 and X3 I have. Can anyone confirm one way or the other?

My best guess is that it would error during the coding. That's why I'm interested in finding the underlying DSC value changes. Then, anyone can code for brake operation and feel.
      05-07-2017, 05:15 PM   #53
Galamoth
Rep
Drives: '14 335i xDrive

I have msport brakes from the factory (the ones with the blue caliper) but the first half inch to inch of pedal travel is mush and has no notable effect on brake pressure. Would making this code change be useful for removing that wasted pedal travel?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 03:35 PM   #54
zschneider
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

Does anyone have the link or know where to download ESYS or any other software needed for the brake coding?
      08-03-2021, 11:23 PM   #55
freespirit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30 2016 BMW 328i

Hello Guys,

Any help would be much appreciated.

My car is a 2016 328i with grey brembo four piston at front and normal single piston break at the rear.

Installed M Performance brakes today and coded DSC by adding SPBR but the brakes still feel too spongy. Its taking more than 50% of the pedal travel to stop the car and feels worst than my stock. Also it feels like all four brake calipers are holding up the wheel even after I let go of the brake pedal.

Couple of observation ...
1. After I have added SPBR, under aftermarket retrofit I see SPBR_19_ZOLL_SPORTBRAKE instead of 18
2. Under DSC module FDL is there only for front again set to initwerte 0 and rear is not present.

Any help please. Thanks.

Retrofits: NBT evo ID6, 6wb cluster, heated steering wheel, HUD, Kafas2 with LDW, SLI, HBA, FCW and pedestrian warning, LCW, Surround View, Parking Assist and ACC with Stop
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 02:02 PM   #56
isenc2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive Stage 1

Garage List
Just did what OP posted, coded my esc folder, did not change the disc size as I don't think it matters. I will share my experience so far with my brakes. I have retrofitted the orange caliper set on all four corners, ebc red stuff pads all four corners, zimmermann dimpled and slotted rotors on the front, stoptech slotted in the rear. When I initially fitted everything, the brakes was tight and it stopped well, however the initial dead travel was still there, did not boost confidence at all. No complaint about stopping power, it's just that the travel is smushy like the grey ones I had. After coding, the initial dead travel is reduced, and the pedal is much firmer, better bite, very confidence inspiring, but not jarring like audi or porsche(theirs are just not linear, not brake initially and then bang). Loving this setup, and thank you so much OP.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2022, 05:15 PM   #57
s4mzx
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 328i xdrive m sport

Any noise from the new kit?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 12:51 AM   #58
schernov
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340zhp, 2009 135i

I had M performance brakes installed recently.
We coded using ISTA Plus.
Car was already on latest integration level so no modules were updated and bunch of modules were coded. In the end - updated options sheet showed M sport Brake.

Bled brakes twice. Initial application is slightly light. Then brakes are good.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 07:21 PM   #59
Juny
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 bmw 230i m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpent720 View Post
I think I need to at least answer this question.

I had the MP brake without SPBR for 2 weeks, the brake felt mushy, even would think that the stock brake feel was better. So did the DSC code to enable SPBR.

The difference are:
1. The mushiness at the initial braking is gone.
2. Feel like the original stocks brake feel at the initial braking, when pedal it down a little more, more bite and deceleration are much better than without DSC Code.
Can you send me a message explaining what you did or how? What i need todownload?
      10-22-2022, 11:27 PM   #60
luisejr20
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2002 e45 325ci; 2017 F20 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juny View Post
Can you send me a message explaining what you did or how? What i need todownload?
We need like a YouTube versión, can't believe no one has done the code part already
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 02:36 AM   #61
Gento
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 420d f32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpent720 View Post
Just installed the M Performance Brake kit and did this the DSC coding, and braking feel is great. This is what I did

Using Esys 3.23.4 with psdzdata 51.1

1. Connect=>Expert Mode=>Coding=>Read FA=>Save FA
2. Editiors & Viewers=>FA-Editor=>Go to HO-Wort and right click to "Edit", then type (means add) "SPBR" under HO-Wort folder
3. Highlight the FA, "Activate FA" and "Calculate FA" to verify no error is found after adding the SPBR.
4. Check the Vehicle Profile to locate the "aftermarket retrofit" and verify the "SPBR_18_ZOLL_SPORTBRAKE" is added to the folder
5. Write FA to the car. No confirmation window will pop up after saving the FA to the car. So you need to go to next step for verification.
6. Expert Mode=>Coding=>Read FA. You are able to see the SPBR being added to the HO-Wort folder on your car.
7. Read SVT, and locate the "DSC" (File Folder SVT/ECU/DSC), then right click the "DSC" folder and select "Code". Coding would begin immediately.
8. Wait until the coding is finished, and repeat Step 1 to save a copy of the new FA.
9. Unplug the PC from the car. The M-Performance Brake is now enable and enjoy the genuine M-Performance Braking experience.

Again, the usual discliamer: "try this code on your own risk..blah blah blah...". I would not answer any question, sorry.
"Happy New Year" to all of you.
Thank you
Can i use the same guide to code M sport brakes?
Im installing m sport brakes on my f32 wich came in with single piston shi**y brakes
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 08:12 AM   #62
Dom147
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 228i, 2017 BMW M240i

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
yes and you should. If you have the option, set the rotor sizes according to what your car will be equipped with, which I believe is 340 front 345 rear.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 10:36 AM   #63
jorgine23
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 F48 20i

Quote:
Originally Posted by schernov View Post
I had M performance brakes installed recently.
We coded using ISTA Plus.
Car was already on latest integration level so no modules were updated and bunch of modules were coded. In the end - updated options sheet showed M sport Brake.

Bled brakes twice. Initial application is slightly light. Then brakes are good.
Hi, can you send me a PM how you do it with ISTA?

I just try the steps for add HO-WORT and I can't add SPBR. My car is an '18 X1 F48. So, maybe with ISTA could code the brakes...
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 05:38 PM   #64
CincyBearcats
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330i xDrive, M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
You need only Lite version.

To add HO-Wort to FA, you need to Read FA, Save FA and then hit Edit. From here you should be able to Calculate FP.

To Code car, you need to be in the Coding module, Activate FA, Righ-Click on DSC, and select Code.
Edit: See my post below (#74) for my final solution.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm having trouble trying to code this myself. Please bear with me. I'm a rookie at coding.

Here are the steps that I'm taking:
  1. launch E-Sys (using E-Sys Ultra and E-Sys 22.06)
  2. establish vehicle connection
  3. Expert Mode-Coding
  4. VO-Read
  5. VO-Save
  6. VO-Edit is not available; hovering over Edit gives the message "Edit using other module"
  7. Editors & Viewers-FA Editor
  8. File Name box is empty
  9. Use "..." to open the VO file that I saved above
  10. HO Wort folder is empty
  11. right click HO Wort, New-HO Wort
  12. enter "SPBR" for the new HO Wort
  13. right click FA folder and "Edit" is not available; only available options are "calculate FP" and "Export FA"
  14. select "calculate FP"
  15. after FP finishes calculating, I can see in the "Vehicle Profile" list that the folder "[8] Aftermarket_Fitment" contains "[1957] SPBR_18_ZOLL_SPORTBRAKE"
  16. Expert Mode-Coding
  17. right click FA folder and select "Activate FA"
  18. nothing seems to happen; I don't see where I would right click on "DSC" and select "Code"

At this point, I am stuck. For reference, the "Vehicle Profile" in the Expert Mode-Coding does not have the folder "[8] Aftermarket_Fitment." Also, I don't see "DSC" anywhere in the "Vehicle Order."

What am I doing wrong? You guys all make this sound so easy. I feel like a fool. Ha!

Last edited by CincyBearcats; 07-22-2023 at 10:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 06:02 PM   #65
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyBearcats View Post
[*]VO-Edit is not available; hovering over Edit gives the message "Edit using
And when you hit the Edit Button after saving it, it does not Open in FA Editor?

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 06:19 PM   #66
CincyBearcats
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330i xDrive, M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
And when you hit the Edit Button after saving it, it does not Open in FA Editor?
Thanks for the quick response, Shawn!

I'm pretty sure that the Edit button was disabled the entire time, even after reading and saving the VO. I will try again later this evening and report back. Thanks for the help!!!
Appreciate 0