F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 335i vs 335XI
GetBMWParts

02-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #23
rconti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 3.5d, Clownshoe, Tesla 3

I agree with the RWD + snow tires sentiment; unfortunately (at least here in NorCal), when we get snow in the mountains, chain control often REQUIRES AWD + "snow" tires (all seasons typically good enough)... else you need chains on a RWD car, no matter how capable the tires.

Now, you can probably just show the chain control guy 4 fingers and hit the throttle, I doubt they'd chase you down, and they'll probably believe that you have an xi, but it's just a thought.

Whereas if you've got the xi and AWD, you can get by on all seasons (though I'd recommend separate summer tires for a car like the 335, and snow tires either way for ski trips).

If you're planning on drag racing it, the AWD is probably a mistake. You're just going to break something really expensive. I'd prefer to have my tires break loose on a launch, rather than have my diff break loose.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 06:08 PM   #24
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean10mm View Post
Dynamic Handling Package gives you the adaptive M suspension and variable sport steering. It would be stupid to get it if you're going with an aftermarket suspension anyway. Of course there aren't any aftermarket suspension parts for F30 xdrive models yet.
Just a matter of time till they make coilovers for the xdrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconti View Post
I agree with the RWD + snow tires sentiment; unfortunately (at least here in NorCal), when we get snow in the mountains, chain control often REQUIRES AWD + "snow" tires (all seasons typically good enough)... else you need chains on a RWD car, no matter how capable the tires.

Now, you can probably just show the chain control guy 4 fingers and hit the throttle, I doubt they'd chase you down, and they'll probably believe that you have an xi, but it's just a thought.

Whereas if you've got the xi and AWD, you can get by on all seasons (though I'd recommend separate summer tires for a car like the 335, and snow tires either way for ski trips).

If you're planning on drag racing it, the AWD is probably a mistake. You're just going to break something really expensive. I'd prefer to have my tires break loose on a launch, rather than have my diff break loose.
I'm glad someone from the Bay Area know how it is like in the mountains.

I really think some all season + AWD would get you through the mountain in Tahoe. The snow here is no where close to what the east gets.

I know that people with N54 with xdrive have been running 11s without any problem. If you want to run 11s on the 335 RWD, you will most likely need DR.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 02:10 AM   #25
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M, EBII, mit alles

Interesting, first time I've seen it like that. I know on the configurator when you add DHP it removes the M Sport suspension, and my dealer told me that it took it back to regular ride height. Somebody was wrong. lol Although, I don't know how the DHP could replicate the ride of the luxury with lower springs, but then I'm no tech.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #26
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
And AWD wasn't suck? When you have 12"+ of snow, your problem isn't going to be traction. It's called ground clearance.
Correct. We got over a foot and I never even slowed down in my quattro. My 335 would not have even moved.....3 years experience.
Appreciate 0