F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 435 engine overhested/smoke under hood
ARMA SPEED

06-30-2014, 12:08 AM   #45
BDWonder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by menncars View Post
Problems with the N55? Well, if buttery smooth idle and incredibly smooth power delivery that will rocket a 355i to extra legal speeds in no time flat are problems, yeah. I env . . . . I mean pity those N55 owners. Must be tough for you guys. Really tough.

OP, except for the part where the car starts spewing out steam don't go into to many details about what happened or you'll talk someone into thinking you're responsible. Your story needs to sound like every other N55 overheating story. 'Driving normally', 'computer freaked out' 'stopped for an hour' 'shut off engine when I saw steam', etc. Whether its a problem deep within design, someone forgetting a twist-tie at the factory, or a dealer technician who got distracted flirting with the receptionist during 'PDI' (Post Delivery [cash] Injection) and left out a step or two, someone is paying to fix the car and it's not you. Depending on damage, either they'll swap in a new engine, half it's parts, or you're getting a new car. Given the manufacturer needs to pay for the work, new car really is considered if the damage is catastrophic.

I really wonder who pays in situations like these. BMW or the parts maker? In the case of CTX and the defective Toyota gas pedal, Toyota ended up paying because the design was bad. Had it been an engineering defect, CTX would have been on the hook for 10 million new gas pedals.

OP may be annoyed but wait until someone in management finds out a 'small' defect may have cause 20k in damage to a new car under warranty. Expensive warranty repairs usually equal an 'a** kicking' somewhere down the line.
Thanks dude, im really hoping all will go smooth. We will def see. Im hoping the damage isnt 20k though...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 12:12 AM   #46
BDWonder
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
Now you're getting all worked up. Just check what time the service dept opens Monday morning at your preferred dealer. Call the BMW 800 number and request a tow 45 mins or so before then.

Ride in with the tow truck guy if he'll let you, or take a cab to the dealer. Check in your car with the service guys, get a loaner, go to work. You may not get a loaner, in which case you'll have to cab it or rent a car. But given how new your car is, first go talk to your sales guy if they refuse you a loaner and see if he can pull some strings for you.

BTW once you get to the dealer ask the SA if they have a drop box. Pretty much every dealer should have a procedure for it, but the sales side of the house wouldn't necessarily know what it is.
Appreciate it man! Im planning on doing this. Ill def find out about the drop box and procedure, for possible next time. Hoping therell be no next time
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 10:05 AM   #47
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLittle View Post
. . . the car won't spontaneously blow up in his garage, why tow it to a closed dealership?
Exactly. I mean it's not like it's a Ford or something.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...f150_fires.htm

After reading that story you kind of wonder "What's more annoying? Limp mode or my house burning down because my vehicle caught fire hours after I parked it?"

11 out of 10 BMW owners prefer being warned their car is in trouble rather than having their house burned down.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 10:10 AM   #48
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDWonder View Post
guys,
Today i got an engine overheated notification from my 435. I turned car off for hour, as i was having dinner in restaurant. On way home, no engine issues. As i parked in my garage, the engine overheated msg came on again, and smoke started to come out insanely from under the hood. I opened it to give it air, and the coolant just completely leaked out. Took about an hour for engine and collant box to stop making weird noises. Since it is night, i locked the car and hood and went home. What the deuce????!!!?!?!! branc new car...1600 miles on it. And also to mention it was in limp mode as i parked, gave it gas and didnt move above 1200 rpm.
Did anyone else have this? Any advice or recommendations guys? Can it catch fire or anything else while its off, parked, and in garage? Really would hate to have it towed to dealer. Hopefully i wont pay anything for repairs. And now, even if they fix it, ill be too cautious and nervous to drive it, and maybe with some spirit. Not reliable. I know that is not why we buy or lease bmws, but still, makes you think twice now and be more aware. I wont be able to gun it sometimes after this, ill be thinking all the time, will the car go into overheating or smoke or catch fire?
Please help with advice guys.
Thank you!!!
Why would you hate to have it towed? It's 100% free. Dealer will bring a flat bed, on the flat bed will be a loaner car for you (demand that they do that). They'll drop off the loaner, and take your car.

Everything is 100% free under warranty.

Some are giving you a hard time and I know others have mentioned this, but when a car starts overheating NEVER keep driving it. As stated, this can put you and others in extreme danger. Better to stand on the side of the road cursing at the car than potentially visiting the ER.

Good luck and I hope you can get the matter resolved in a timely manner.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 10:26 AM   #49
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
I am still amazed that people believe new items cannot have issues (whether it is a car, tv, appliance, phone, etc).
If anything new items have MORE issues. It's just like a new home or a newly renovated home, you get tons of issues to deal with and it's the next owner that takes advantage when you're done fixing the mistakes
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 10:29 AM   #50
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio72 View Post
Too many problems with this N55... BMW should do a big recall...
BS, it's one of their workhorses and has been around for a while without issues. Plus OP's issue might be due to anything not related to the engine such as bad fan or module or something.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 10:39 AM   #51
Philipangoo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335

so is the car at the dealer now ? What did they find ?
      07-01-2014, 11:18 AM   #52
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
11 out of 10 BMW owners prefer being warned their car is in trouble rather than having their house burned down.
For the record, I was the guy that voted twice in that survey.

OP - Hope it works out. Let the dealership figure it out, get a loaner, and kick back and relax. The warranty is there to protect you.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 11:34 AM   #53
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

This sucks, hopefully it would be restored to brand new conditions. To OP, is there any hint of the overheat(e.g. oil temp gauge past half-way)? Is the car stock or tuned/modified?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 11:52 AM   #54
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34.50 View Post
On most every forum, you tend to hear the problems over the people who have no problems. The engine for me has been solid for the 14 months I've had the car
Three months in, the car has been taken to its limits, broken in according to BMW...no issues whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 11:59 AM   #55
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
After reading that story you kind of wonder "What's more annoying? Limp mode or my house burning down because my vehicle caught fire hours after I parked it?"

Seems like a serious of blunders here... ignoring the overheat warning and continuing to drive the car and parking an overheated car in your own garage and then after seeing "smoke" he "locked the car and hood and went home."

My first thought if I were to see "smoke started to come out insanely from under the hood" would be to get family member or neighbor or whomever to help me push the car out of the garage as fast as I can. I would not park an overheated car in my garage in the first place. It's not worth the risk.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 05:10 PM   #56
BDWonder
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Why would you hate to have it towed? It's 100% free. Dealer will bring a flat bed, on the flat bed will be a loaner car for you (demand that they do that). They'll drop off the loaner, and take your car.

Everything is 100% free under warranty.

Some are giving you a hard time and I know others have mentioned this, but when a car starts overheating NEVER keep driving it. As stated, this can put you and others in extreme danger. Better to stand on the side of the road cursing at the car than potentially visiting the ER.

Good luck and I hope you can get the matter resolved in a timely manner.
I called SOS, and was told they'd tow me to local dealer which was closed, and had no drop box option. I didnt drive it with msg on. Just after it cooled had to get home, as no one would help at that hour. And i wasnt told a serious option that i can have a tow for free to local dealer OR 50 miles to any dealer! THis is huge. Having it towed tomorrow. Bunch of blunders from dealer and bmw assist that keeps me waiting..grrrr.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 05:12 PM   #57
BDWonder
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
This sucks, hopefully it would be restored to brand new conditions. To OP, is there any hint of the overheat(e.g. oil temp gauge past half-way)? Is the car stock or tuned/modified?
hey. no warning at all. Was crusing with wife and buddy. Car is stock, didnt mess with anything at all. The oil temp was smack in middle.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 05:17 PM   #58
BDWonder
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
Seems like a serious of blunders here... ignoring the overheat warning and continuing to drive the car and parking an overheated car in your own garage and then after seeing "smoke" he "locked the car and hood and went home."

My first thought if I were to see "smoke started to come out insanely from under the hood" would be to get family member or neighbor or whomever to help me push the car out of the garage as fast as I can. I would not park an overheated car in my garage in the first place. It's not worth the risk.
No dude. I didnt ignore it at all. i searched for help, i was parked outside already when the overheat came on. Thought it was a bad idrive flag, as i had many times in past in my previous bmws (no engine overheat though). When i got home and parked, it stated overheat. Steam came out. I opened hood, and waited hour for things to cool off. I never locked the car and went home. I kept an eye on things while calling and researching the issue. Only when the engione cooled off, did i close the hood. I still stuck around. and then went home. i couldnt get the car out from garage even if i wanted to without help, i live in a building. No one answered calls. Except SOS, but they didnt know anything either. Less than me.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 05:37 PM   #59
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Love the generalizations here..35k on a PPK N55 and no issues.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 05:39 PM   #60
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619
Quote:
For the record, I was the guy that voted twice in that survey.

OP - Hope it works out. Let the dealership figure it out, get a loaner, and kick back and relax. The warranty is there to protect you.
Lol!!!

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 05:46 PM   #61
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath
Love the generalizations here..35k on a PPK N55 and no issues.
My favorite.

"Too many problems with this N55...BMW should do a recall"
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 11:14 PM   #62
TheHitchhiker
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i

Mine did the same when it was around 1000 miles, 1 month after ownership. It didn't leak anything, nor I saw smoke. However it ended up being a bad aux fan, which was pretty common. Waited 1.5-2 months on part and drove a crappy loaner.. The part was on back order, got BMW to write me a check. No problems with the engine since.

Past: 2016 F10 550i M-Sport ~ 2015 F83 M4 Convertible ~ 2013 F30 335i M-Sport ~ 2006 E85 Z4 30i
Appreciate 0