F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > US F30 OEM Adaptive Xenon Retrofit DIY
Extreme Powerhouse

10-01-2016, 04:55 PM   #155
jkwhar
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Xdrive | F15 x35i

Last question!! I promise lol.

When turning the steering to the left, The headlight only turns a tad bit compared to turning it to the right which turn a lot. Is this normal? To me, it makes sense since we're LHD and don't want to blind on coming traffic, but at the same time it doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 11:22 AM   #156
kobluna
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320i

I have already basic Xenons (522) and automatic headlights (5AC) so does someone know if I need anything else but new lights and driver control modules to activate variable light distribution and adaptive lights? If that would be enough then it would be quite simple and "cheap" job to do.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 10:20 PM   #157
jkwhar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobluna View Post
I have already basic Xenons (522) and automatic headlights (5AC) so does someone know if I need anything else but new lights and driver control modules to activate variable light distribution and adaptive lights? If that would be enough then it would be quite simple and "cheap" job to do.
Just new adaptive headlights and drivers control module should be it. You should be able to reuse the LED modules and xenon modules.

PS- I have an extra drivers control module(1). If you're interested, PM me.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 07:34 AM   #158
kobluna
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwhar View Post
Last question!! I promise lol.

When turning the steering to the left, The headlight only turns a tad bit compared to turning it to the right which turn a lot. Is this normal? To me, it makes sense since we're LHD and don't want to blind on coming traffic, but at the same time it doesn't.
Did you solve this problem? Or is that a problem at all or a normal function? I haven't see BMW's adaptive headlights in live so can't really say if they should move equally for both directions. However, I have seen Audi A6 2014 adaptive headlights and they do move equally regardless of direction (as far as I can tell anyway, it's not my car so haven't drive it too much).

Does someone swapped normal xenons with FLA camera to adaptive ones with camera and compared them in light/moderate traffic? Does the high beam stay on (partially) so you could really see better and farther away than with basic on/off ones? In videos (mostly made by BMW) they seems to be amazing and would be really helpful in dark, non-lit, highways which we have here. Just trying to decide if I should do this retrofit or not and how much I would be willing to spend money on it.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 12:23 PM   #159
MarcNoord
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 330i xDrive Wagon

Impressive.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 07:19 AM   #160
kobluna
Private First Class
Rep

I've been checking on ebay if I could find a good deal of new lights but found out that with the part numbers (63117259553 and 63117259551) provided by OP in the doc, I only find deals from US. That's weird because I specifically need and want the Europe version of the lights since I want the light tunnel function to work.

I checked in Realoem and WebETK and found out that the part numbers for adpative xenons are *63117338701 and 63117338702. Has the numbers changed in some point or why the disparity?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 09:29 AM   #161
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
I'm going to be taking off my xenon lights and putting my halogens back on since my lease will be up soon. Can anyone tell me what the value should be for the following?

LWR_AHL_TYP = auto./dyn. LWR+AHL = 03

This is the value that should be for the xenon lights, but I can't remember what the value was before, for the halogens.

Thanks!
      03-10-2017, 10:16 AM   #162
MisterZebb
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i MSport

I sent you a PM about the Xenons, If no one replies to your question by this weekend I can try to look at what default setting mine has.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 11:30 AM   #163
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterZebb View Post
I sent you a PM about the Xenons, If no one replies to your question by this weekend I can try to look at what default setting mine has.
Thanks! I'm pretty sure it's "manuell", but not certain.
      03-20-2017, 08:32 PM   #164
tarekelsakka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330i

Would I be able to get it working if I just ignore the "auto-levelling" and "adaptive" parts of the installation? I just want the low and high beams to work, but I really don't care about the adaptive functionality since it seems a lot more of a hassle than I want. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 02:57 PM   #165
kobluna
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarekelsakka View Post
Would I be able to get it working if I just ignore the "auto-levelling" and "adaptive" parts of the installation? I just want the low and high beams to work, but I really don't care about the adaptive functionality since it seems a lot more of a hassle than I want. Thanks!
I installed adaptive ones so I have non-adaptive (522) xenons for sale if you are interested.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 10:50 AM   #166
gapon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328d xDrive (F30)

Hello Kapkanimd, great job on the write up for the adaptive xenon retrofit for F30. I followed it to the dot of it and am having some issues. after swapping FEM cables I don't have high beam and my halo lights do not work. I spend 2 weeks on this already. I'm willing to pay you if you help me figure this out.

if anybody else wants to chime in please do.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 12:07 PM   #167
jkwhar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapon View Post
Hello Kapkanimd, great job on the write up for the adaptive xenon retrofit for F30. I followed it to the dot of it and am having some issues. after swapping FEM cables I don't have high beam and my halo lights do not work. I spend 2 weeks on this already. I'm willing to pay you if you help me figure this out.

if anybody else wants to chime in please do.
Did add VO code 522? Any error message on idrive?

FOR SALE! Sport line Steering wheel with heated, paddle shifter, vibration motor, no airbag | EDM Bi-Xenon adaptive headlights (SOLD) | surround view retrofit kit (sold) | KAFAS2 camera and ECU | FLA camera(sold) | 6WB cluster (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 03:25 PM   #168
gapon
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Did add VO code 522? Any error message on idrive?
on the DIY PDF file on step 40 it says

"...This is a good point to test the headlights to
make sure everything lights up, HOWEVER, they will not function with the car on. Just turn the headlight knob
to on and see if everything lights up. Make sure you have the daytime running lights activated on your idrive.
Check the blinkers, angel eyes, and headlights to just make sure your bulbs and control units work."

that right there is before coding, I have not done any coding yet. i get low beam, blinkers side mark light working.

halo's and high beam does not. do i need to have the driver control module for Halo and High beam to work?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 10:30 PM   #169
jkwhar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
on the DIY PDF file on step 40 it says

"...This is a good point to test the headlights to
make sure everything lights up, HOWEVER, they will not function with the car on. Just turn the headlight knob
to on and see if everything lights up. Make sure you have the daytime running lights activated on your idrive.
Check the blinkers, angel eyes, and headlights to just make sure your bulbs and control units work."

that right there is before coding, I have not done any coding yet. i get low beam, blinkers side mark light working.

halo's and high beam does not. do i need to have the driver control module for Halo and High beam to work?
I'm pretty sure the angel eyes are controlled thru the drivers control module and high beams don't but I can double check the wirings inside the headlights tomorrow (I have a disassembled one).

FOR SALE! Sport line Steering wheel with heated, paddle shifter, vibration motor, no airbag | EDM Bi-Xenon adaptive headlights (SOLD) | surround view retrofit kit (sold) | KAFAS2 camera and ECU | FLA camera(sold) | 6WB cluster (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 11:28 AM   #170
gapon
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the angel eyes are controlled thru the drivers control module and high beams don't but I can double check the wirings inside the headlights tomorrow (I have a disassembled one).
thank you jkwhar, that would be awesome. please let me know about the wiring.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 12:39 PM   #171
gapon
Enlisted Member
Rep

little help please, after step 43, where it says
"Now, VO Code FEM_BODY: Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) =>
RightClick
on FEM_BODY (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE."
on 43 it says go back and FDL code the following.

im stuck here, how do I go back to FDL code? there is a button on right side of the window but its grayed out.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #172
jkwhar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
little help please, after step 43, where it says
"Now, VO Code FEM_BODY: Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) =>
RightClick
on FEM_BODY (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE."
on 43 it says go back and FDL code the following.

im stuck here, how do I go back to FDL code? there is a button on right side of the window but its grayed out.
Read the instructions on this as it includes photos...

http://www.bmwesys.com/guides/VO%20C...ep%20Guide.pdf

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 02:21 PM   #173
gapon
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you got it to work. almost everything is working now. the only thing now is my High beam is not working. I realized that my high beam is an LED, do i have to code that differently than xenon? I have bi-xenon like the shutter goes up and down fine, but the LED high beam does not turn on
below is an older video that I recorded that shows it whats happening when turning on low/high beam.

Last edited by gapon; 05-13-2017 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: had to add video
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 08:54 PM   #174
jkwhar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thank you got it to work. almost everything is working now. the only thing now is my High beam is not working. I realized that my high beam is an LED, do i have to code that differently than xenon? I have bi-xenon like the shutter goes up and down fine, but the LED high beam does not turn on
below is an older video that I recorded that shows it whats happening when turning on low/high beam.

Being that you're installing aftermarket headlights, you would need to check the wiring on the headlight itself. Your coding/wiring is probably fine since the bi-xenon shutter works (highbeam).

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 12:13 AM   #175
gapon
Enlisted Member
Rep

I was afraid some one would say that. any idea how to troubleshoot it? but the coding is same for LED right?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 01:15 AM   #176
jkwhar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I was afraid some one would say that. any idea how to troubleshoot it? but the coding is same for LED right?
You would need to look inside the assembly and see how the LED highbeams are wired up (it should be wired with the bi-xenon shutter solenoid).

Actually, hold on a minute. Aren't those aftermarket plug and play units? You shouldn't be following the diy pdf file as that only applies to OEM retrofits.

Appreciate 0