F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Blow out and broken wheel...
Extreme Powerhouse

11-18-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
tennistodd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 alpine white M2 LCI

Blow out and broken wheel...

So I hit a pot hole and blew the runflat out and broke the 20" forged wheel. Had to have it towed of course. Took 4 weeks to get a new wheel and tire. Thank goodness for the wheel and tire coverage.HERE is my issue.... When I picked the car up the alarm system wasnt working anymore? No clown nose flashing and no beeping and no door chime? ANY IDEA? Taking to the dealership Monday.
      11-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

No idea about the alarm, but a pic of the busted wheel would be interesting.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennistodd View Post
So I hit a pot hole and blew the runflat out and broke the 20" forged wheel. Had to have it towed of course. Took 4 weeks to get a new wheel and tire.
That's the risk you take by installing 20" wheels on a car that was designed for 17" or 18" as standard set-ups. A 20" tire has minimal sidewall to absorb road shocks from potholes.
Good thing that you have insurance !
      11-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
SPACEMANRICK
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 6 speed manual

Besides purely aesthetics, what is the benefit of 20"or 19" wheels? Aren't the larger wheels heavier and don't they actually make the car slower and rougher on bad roads?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACEMANRICK View Post
Besides purely aesthetics, what is the benefit of 20"or 19" wheels? Aren't the larger wheels heavier and don't they actually make the car slower and rougher on bad roads?
Yep, basically.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACEMANRICK View Post
Rims are like boobs, if they are too big, its just tasteless
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Forget the wheel, I want to see pics of the pothole. That had to be a hell of a pothole to break a forged wheel...
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #8
AZ330FZL
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
So I hit a pot hole and blew the runflat out and broke the 20" forged wheel. Had to have it towed of course. Took 4 weeks to get a new wheel and tire. Thank goodness for the wheel and tire coverage.HERE is my issue.... When I picked the car up the alarm system wasnt working anymore? No clown nose flashing and no beeping and no door chime? ANY IDEA? Taking to the dealership Monday.
They may have updated your software at the dealer while they had your car. The last software update they did on my car made my alarm inactive, the key fob panic button now opens the trunk, as well as the trunk button. I need to take it back in and make them aware of the issue. Hope you find out whats going on, sorry to hear about the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
tennistodd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS
Quote:
So I hit a pot hole and blew the runflat out and broke the 20" forged wheel. Had to have it towed of course. Took 4 weeks to get a new wheel and tire.
That's the risk you take by installing 20" wheels on a car that was designed for 17" or 18" as standard set-ups. A 20" tire has minimal sidewall to absorb road shocks from potholes.
Good thing that you have insurance !
Well the wheel was a BMW 20" 361 wheel designed for the car. It was very late at night. Didn't take a pict of the pothole as I was on the interstate and they were doing construction. I failed to take a pict. of the wheel either. I believe they were fixing the roads and left that place un attended. It was loud when i hit it. I was changing lanes coming out of the construction one lane traffic. It would have damaged any other run flat as well regardless of size. Maybe not the wheel. It got flatbed right away. Took 3 weeks to get s new wheel from Germany. This happened on my 328 not 335.
      11-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
tennistodd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ330FZL
Quote:
They may have updated your software at the dealer while they had your car. The last software update they did on my car made my alarm inactive, the key fob panic button now opens the trunk, as well as the trunk button. I need to take it back in and make them aware of the issue. Hope you find out whats going on, sorry to hear about the wheel.
I'm hoping this is the issue. The wrecker guy was a dumb ass, I was wondering if he set the alarm off on his truck and killed the battery? Dealer didn't say anything about an update. The good thing is NO MORE steering wheel shimmy. WTF
      11-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #11
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
Forget the wheel, I want to see pics of the pothole. That had to be a hell of a pothole to break a forged wheel...
I guess that depends on how fast he was going.
Appreciate 0