F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Cigarette Lighters not turning off
Studio RSR

01-30-2021, 07:11 AM   #1
GavinTyler
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw F30 335i

Cigarette Lighters not turning off

Hey y'all, recently purchased a 15' 335i and had a quick question. In my old 08 535, when I had several things plugged into all cigarette lighters, they would shut off when the car shut off and turn on when the car turned on. In my newly purchased 335i , the accessories which I have plugged into the 3 cigarette lighters stay on when the vehicle is off which is draining the battery I'm assuming. So I was wondering , is there a way to make them shut off when I shut the car off ? Or do they shut off automatically after a certain time period ? I have my radar in one , LED lights in another , and phone charger in another. Don't feel like unplugging and plugging every single time I step in or out of the vehicle. Thanks in advance !
      01-30-2021, 07:31 AM   #2
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

The lighter ports should turn off after about ten minutes, it's not immediate. If they are staying on and draining your battery then something is definitely not right, and until you figure out out it might be best to unplug the accessories while parked.
Appreciate 2
      01-30-2021, 07:47 AM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Mine shut off about 5 minutes after the car is locked. I know because the auxiliary LED DRLs I installed are powered off one. If I don't lock it they stay on longer. I don't know how long, at least an hour, as I can see the DRLs lit when I wash the car. My assumption is that other stuff is still powered if the car isn't locked, so I always lock mine even though I'm garaged.
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2021, 10:05 AM   #4
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Mine shut off about 5 minutes after the car is locked. I know because the auxiliary LED DRLs I installed are powered off one. If I don't lock it they stay on longer. I don't know how long, at least an hour, as I can see the DRLs lit when I wash the car. My assumption is that other stuff is still powered if the car isn't locked, so I always lock mine even though I'm garaged.
I have always thought the car goes to sleep after about 10 minutes regardless of whether it's locked or not, at least that's how mine behaves. And I'm the opposite, my car is never locked in the garage.
OP, an easy way to check if the car is asleep is the hazard flasher button.. If it's not lit then the electrics are turned off
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2021, 10:12 AM   #5
GavinTyler
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_an_alien View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I have always thought the car goes to sleep after about 10 minutes regardless of whether it's locked or not, at least that's how mine behaves. And I'm the opposite, my car is never locked in the garage.
OP, an easy way to check if the car is asleep is the hazard flasher button.. If it's not lit then the electrics are turned off
Thanks for the input , appreciate It ! I just now left them plugged in for 5-10 mins and shutting and locking the car and they seemed to be turned off ! Guess I do in fact have to lock It though. I'm the same with you, in my garage it's usually unlocked. But locking is better than unplugging and plugging every time I get in the car
      01-30-2021, 12:49 PM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_an_alien View Post
I have always thought the car goes to sleep after about 10 minutes regardless of whether it's locked or not, at least that's how mine behaves.
When I wash or do other work on mine and leave it unlocked my DRLs wired to the lighter outlet fuse will stay on for at least an hour.
Quote:
an easy way to check if the car is asleep is the hazard flasher button.. If it's not lit then the electrics are turned off
I don't know from experience if that's the case or not. I do know that there are things that shut off with the ignition, things that shut off when the car is locked, and things that never shut off.
Appreciate 0