F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > M Sport config questions
Studio RSR

06-30-2012, 05:04 AM   #1
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X6M

M Sport config questions

Have heard that you can place an order with BMW sometimes with a different configuration that what shows on the BMWUSA online configurator so had a few Qs:

1. Can we get a Sunroof Delete? Never use it and it would shave at least 100 lbs. off the car, right?

2. Can we spec the Aluminum Hexagon trim with Estoril Blue highlight trim with the Coral Red seats? BMWUSA's configurator allows the Aluminum w/Estoril Blue only if you pick Black seats, but is it possible to order that trim config with the Red seats?

3. On the ActiveHybrid 3, can we request a factory badge delete for the ActiveHybrid 3 badge on the C pillars?

4. Can we select the 19" 401 style wheels from the Sport line instead of the 19" 403 wheels?

5. Can we opt for the matte chrome kidney grill on the Modern Line instead of the blacked out one that comes standard on the M Sport line? I figure this one is the least likely, but not a big deal as I can swap it for cheap as I think this part costs $80?

Also, does anyone know how much a regular Sport rear bumper costs? I think the M Sport rear bumper looks hideous and very boxy like a pickup truck...just terrible and the non-painted part looks cheap...and would like to replace it ASAP. Also, is there a way to convert the light colored exhaust tips to the dark ones seen on the Sport Line? Are those just tips or the whole exhaust system? Is there a part number so I could buy the Sport Line exhaust tips?

Disappointed in BMW's limited color combo options. For example: I'd love the Brown Leather Seats with the Fine-wood Trim, but that's not even remotely an option on the M Sport line. If I could get the Red seats with the Estoril Blue highlight trim though, I'd still be happy.

Last edited by BMWCali; 06-30-2012 at 07:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep

To the tippy top!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Most of your questions can be fixed at the dealer though.
It is easy to remove the badges. They might be willing to change wheels and trim from a car from their own floor. The grills are also easy to change when you get them.

I totally agree with you regarding the rear bumper. I will wait and see what kind of diffusers other companies will release. But if they won't make the rear look better I will for sure get the regular rear bumper. For the E90 you can get the whole exterior M-kit (front, rear, sides) for $1000 (€800) here in Europe. So the rear bumper shouldn't be too expensive.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
Most of your questions can be fixed at the dealer though.
It is easy to remove the badges. They might be willing to change wheels and trim from a car from their own floor. The grills are also easy to change when you get them.

I totally agree with you regarding the rear bumper. I will wait and see what kind of diffusers other companies will release. But if they won't make the rear look better I will for sure get the regular rear bumper. For the E90 you can get the whole exterior M-kit (front, rear, sides) for $1000 (€800) here in Europe. So the rear bumper shouldn't be too expensive.
I think that's a huge stretch. Don't think any dealer is going to take parts from another car on the floor and totally mess up what the sticker on the window says about it! If anyone has heard of any dealer doing this, I'd be happy to hear otherwise!

Yeah, I'll remove the c-pillar badges myself if you can't do a factory delete, but obviously that's easier.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

I got a dealer to change the wheels for me from one of the cars they had. It was no problem at all for them.

Regarding the badges. There are two options in the price list here in europe, lines delete and badge delete. But neither mention anything about the active hybrid.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I got a dealer to change the wheels for me from one of the cars they had. It was no problem at all for them.

Regarding the badges. There are two options in the price list here in europe, lines delete and badge delete. But neither mention anything about the active hybrid.
Interesting! Wonder if anyone else has gotten this? Were the wheels from a separate "line" though? Because if they took the 403 wheels off mine and stuck them on the car they were pulling the 401 wheels off, that car would have wheels that only come on an M Sport line which that car wouldn't be. I guess they could up-sell a customer as though the 403 wheels are an added luxury, but not sure they would want to do that.

What is the "lines delete?" I saw that option too. What are the lines it is referring to?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #7
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCali View Post
Interesting! Wonder if anyone else has gotten this? Were the wheels from a separate "line" though? Because if they took the 403 wheels off mine and stuck them on the car they were pulling the 401 wheels off, that car would have wheels that only come on an M Sport line which that car wouldn't be. I guess they could up-sell a customer as though the 403 wheels are an added luxury, but not sure they would want to do that.

What is the "lines delete?" I saw that option too. What are the lines it is referring to?
Most buyers won't know what model wheels that comes with what option. So the dealer didn't care. It was one set of 19" for another set of 19", this was for a E9x so there were no lines. But it was M-sport wheels I traded away for other 19" (Style 230).

Here in europe each line (not M-sport) gets a badge on the side which says what line you have.

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #8
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Most buyers won't know what model wheels that comes with what option. So the dealer didn't care. It was one set of 19" for another set of 19", this was for a E9x so there were no lines. But it was M-sport wheels I traded away for other 19" (Style 230).

Here in europe each line (not M-sport) gets a badge on the side which says what line you have.

Interesting! Would be great if a dealer was willing to do that for me, assuming I can't get the factory to do it.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 12:54 PM   #9
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
It continues to intrigue me that this is standard in Europe, but not in the US where people typically adore labels.

Do you see more F30s with the line badge attached or without?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
It continues to intrigue me that this is standard in Europe, but not in the US where people typically adore labels.

Do you see more F30s with the line badge attached or without?
Most people still have it. Don't see a lot of model badge deletes either.
Badges are one thing, but that they force you to get the black mirrors with sport is quite odd too.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #11
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Porsche 981 Cayman GTS

Quote:
1. Can we get a Sunroof Delete? Never use it and it would shave at least 100 lbs. off the car, right?
I asked my CA about deleting the sunroof on the 335- he said it wasn't possible. I rarely opened the sunroof on previous cars and would much prefer to shed the weight, lower the center of gravity and improve stiffness...maybe not even noticable, but I guess it doesn't matter since it isn't possible anyway.

Would love to hear if anyone has actually been able to place an order and delete the sunroof somehow.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #12
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb817 View Post
I asked my CA about deleting the sunroof on the 335- he said it wasn't possible. I rarely opened the sunroof on previous cars and would much prefer to shed the weight, lower the center of gravity and improve stiffness...maybe not even noticable, but I guess it doesn't matter since it isn't possible anyway.

Would love to hear if anyone has actually been able to place an order and delete the sunroof somehow.
I think that's totally ridiculous that it can't be deleted, if true. I think I'm going to take this one up the chain and get BMW NA involved if dealer says no because this is so easy to do since the 328i doesn't have a sunroof standard and they could just use a roof from that car.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #13
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
I think that's totally ridiculous that it can't be deleted, if true. I think I'm going to take this one up the chain and get BMW NA involved if dealer says no because this is so easy to do since the 328i doesn't have a sunroof standard and they could just use a roof from that car.
Still a US thing only, I don't know of any other country where the sunroof is standard equipment. Its $1500 extra for us over here, so there shouldn't be a problem to get it changed if you pull some strings.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 11:33 PM   #14
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Still a US thing only, I don't know of any other country where the sunroof is standard equipment. Its $1500 extra for us over here, so there shouldn't be a problem to get it changed if you pull some strings.
Good to know! So BMW has an incentive to do it because they save $1,500!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 12:22 AM   #15
verbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Sunroof is nowhere near 100lbs.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 12:23 AM   #16
verbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
That's not how assembly lines work lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 12:50 AM   #17
WKMG
Rep
Drives: F30 320d M Sport on order

What differences are there between say a US car and an EU car? I'm assuming lights not sure what else. Because otherwise they could just pull one from an eu line and send it to the US.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 03:01 AM   #18
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs View Post
That's not how assembly lines work lol.
What do you mean?

All I was saying was that the 335i does come without a sunroof in the rest of the world so there is no problem getting one without it. For some reason BMW USA decided to make it standard in the US. So with some luck it should be possible to get it without that option.

They might be hesitant to do it, but all I meant was that BMW do build the cars like that.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 07:55 AM   #19
ThreeTwentyEightI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW right now :(

No Estoril matte on the trim with coral. Tried to do that combo but my dealer said it was not available. He called BMW and they couldn't special order it either
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #20
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs View Post
Sunroof is nowhere near 100lbs.
It is 50+ pounds, reduces headroom, and compromises structural rigidity.

The additional weight is located at the worst possible location, the top of the car, making the center of gravity of the car higher.

I would have adored to get rid of the silly thing and would have deleted it even if there were no cost savings.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #21
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
I would have adored to get rid of the silly thing and would have deleted it even if there were no cost savings.
Heck, I'd PAY to have it deleted.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #22
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeThirtyFiveI View Post
No Estoril matte on the trim with coral. Tried to do that combo but my dealer said it was not available. He called BMW and they couldn't special order it either
How hard could it possibly be to put on the work sheet that the car should have blue trim installed instead of black? They'll have both trims sitting right there next to each other as they build the car. All the installer has to do is grab one color instead of the other.
Appreciate 0