F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > WLTP and current manufacturing production
Extreme Powerhouse

06-24-2018, 08:21 PM   #1
vadimo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320D X-Drive

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
WLTP and current manufacturing production

so new test been enforced in September for new cars, i been reading here and there that various manufactures are halting production as of now, depending on who, some re-open ordering in winter and some over in next year.

I guess panic is that after this test existing models will look less efficient and more polluting?

On my list VW group including Skoda, Seat
Audi
Porsche

Anyone noticing this? Wonder what it would do to the current stock.
Current Ride: 2020 G20 M340i in Metallic Black Sapphire with Individual Full Merino Ivory White and Piano Black Trim Previous Ride1: 2014 F30 M Sport 320D X-Drive Auto, Dakota Beige Leather, M Sport Brakes, Adaptive M Suspension, Paddle Shifters, 19" 403 Alloys, Folding Mirrors, Pro Sat Nav & Harman Kardon Surround Sound. Previous Ride2: 2004 E46 M Sport 320CI Auto, Montana Beige Leather & 18" 135M Alloys.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 12:19 AM   #2
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Lack of supply will turn into an increase of prices for nearly-new cars, or cars up to 18 months old.
That, in turn, will push prices up of cars that are 2-4 years old. But not by much.

On the flip side, a lot of cars sitting around on dealer forecourts to cushion any such price rise.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 01:44 AM   #3
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

With VW they will put off build dates but orders are being taken, one forum member was quoted a December build, however another was September (likely slipped under the bar).

Apparently some models will have longer lead times
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 02:12 AM   #4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XD

Any manufacture making plug In Hybrids or non 100% ev as the new test shows them up for what they really are
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 03:28 AM   #5
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimo View Post
so new test been enforced in September for new cars, i been reading here and there that various manufactures are halting production as of now, depending on who, some re-open ordering in winter and some over in next year.

I guess panic is that after this test existing models will look less efficient and more polluting?

On my list VW group including Skoda, Seat
Audi
Porsche

Anyone noticing this? Wonder what it would do to the current stock.
As I understand it you cant sell a new car under the regime unless it has been tested under the new regime. Where manufacturers are amending spec of car to better meet the new tests, they dont want old stock of old spec around as it will have to be pre reg before new rules come in if not sold.

So remove them from ordering, finalise new spec and sell stock of old spec to people who want one....

Audi SQ5 is one such affected model, no orders being taken. Rumour that it is being re (de) tuned to meet new tests but certainly isnt available to order.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 03:40 AM   #6
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

It's all a mess. Our new Ateca 2.0tsi was ordered early may with a lead time of September due to delays and they stopped taking orders on the 2.0tsi a few days later. Low and behold it's now built and due for deliver in July.

They were chucking out higher poluting engines asap before the new rules come in.

All VAG performance cars seem to dryup a few weeks ago with lead times up to 6 to 9 months. It wouldn't surprise me to see them "facelifted" with a few less bhp now.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 05:31 AM   #7
pmgreenwood
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D se auto sold, Macan S

I was thinking of replacing my 2014 320D touring ideally next year between March and September and on balance, I have decided on all we know at present I will prefer a Macan with air suspension to one of the first G21's M340i. I know the essentials for the spec of Macan I would buy and having been put off by the waiting times for Macan when first introduced I decided it might be best to try and get in early for the facelifted Model due for an announcement this Autumn

I do not like the extra width of the new X3/X4 over the Macan so have ruled them out and really want a softer riding car than M Sport BMW's but one that still handles and Macan on Air sus delivers that. Also as "cash" buyer prefer Porsche model of no discounts and less depreciation.

Have managed about a month ago to get a test drive in a two old Macan S with Air sus which confirmed my line of thought. Unfortunately, local Porsche Centre already stopped taking deposits and uncertain when they will start doing so. No idea of their allocation for facelifted Macans and timing. They suspect they will have more facelifted 2.0 litre (the Autocar rumour is will be Golf R rather than Golf GTI engine) Macans than 3 litre. Porsche not taking orders for any cars of any model at present but I have put my name down on list of interested buyers for facelifted Macan with local centre.

Under the new rules, all option variations have to be tested so we may find a reduction in option choices across all makers and model lines.

I am keeping an eye on nearly new/pre reg market for Macans but no car yet with the "essentials" of my spec and no doubt that market will dry up or become very expensive

The new tighter tests are happening just when the "fines" for being above the steadily reducing CCG target for all cars sold by a manufacturer start to take effect and this may behind more powerful/higher polluting cars being cut down in supply for new orders. What does annoy me is the way in this market, BMW appears very slow at introducing plug-in hybrids across the range and types of vehicle and is still pushing diesel above petrol Suv's

Fortunately, happy to keep current BMW around to March 2020 when hopefully all this will have sorted itself out. That would mean placing an order by this time next year for a Macan. If I achieved my "Macan S" may well run a pure electric small hatch alongside it for local trips to keep the Macan as my forever long trip UK holiday car.

In the meantime, I am wondering what all of these WLTP delays will do the financial position of dealers and dealer groups and how many insolvencies will we see.

Last edited by pmgreenwood; 06-25-2018 at 05:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 07:00 AM   #8
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

I read somewhere the delay was because each model needs to be tested with and without the available options. So if alloys are available from 17" through to 20" then they need separate tests. Same as with and without sunroofs and so on.

Plus apparently there's a shortage of test locations with the necessary equipment.

One article I read about this said for smaller manufacturers they will have to stop offering so many options as they won't be able to afford to run the test in every possible configuration which is what the EU want. Buying a car might become more like the States where a dealer might have 50 models in, all specced pretty much the same and the only choice you make is colour.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 03:36 PM   #9
vadimo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320D X-Drive

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Interesting views, I red that test will involve the least options loaded version and the most to give more accurate readings, not sure how they ecpect manufacture to provide all these test cars with one option installed at a time? Hah

I also read statement from BMW CEO that they are going to look at rooting out least popular options from product, manual gearbox was mentioned, shame if they start narrowing down options especially engine choices, such a broad selection at the moment.

I guess this dry period is gonna cost the industry some money and probably will affect manufactures and their models differently.

I imagine the popular models on long lead times will create suction for immediate stock on second hand models to keep cash (or PCP) flowing in.
Appreciate 0