F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > ED: Nordschleife - export license issue?
proTUNING Freaks

04-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
norb335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M Sport 6MT

Hi All,

I just ordered my 335i M-Sport 6MT with European Delivery in early July and just started to plan the details of my trip. I want to take the car for a few laps on the Nordschleife, but upon going through the rules and regulations, etc. (http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin...ist-Drives.pdf) I found that cars with export plate are not admitted to the track. Thus, I was wondering how those who have done ED and took their cars on the track did it? This rule isn't really enforced or how does it work in practice?

In addition, it looks like the track is only open for 2 hours a day (from 5:30PM till 7:30PM) to the public in July on selected days, but I don't see that even when you book the tickets in advance you could reserve guaranteed admittance to the track on the given day you gonna be there. Is there some way to reserve a "spot" to avoid driving there and not being admitted?

By the way, how many laps do you recommend to do, 4 or 9? 4 seems to take nearly an hour, that already sounds to be quite a lot of fun and probably somewhat tiring too. Would you get that much more fun out of 9 than from 4? Can you take breaks between laps?

Thanks in advance! Any help is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
mrbelk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i/6MT

I wouldn't pre-purchase tickets. There are kiosks and ticket counters where you can buy your tickets when you get there. That way you're not stuck with lap tickets if it rains the day you're going to be there or they close the track for some other reason (like a bad crash). There are no "appointments" per se; you just get in line with the card that is coded with the laps you bought and go when they let you. You swipe the card at the gate; it debits the card for another lap; raises the gate, and you're off.

I was there last in 2010 and had no issues whatsoever getting on the track. The Nordschleife is basically a one-way toll road with no speed limit (except few a few very short sections since there are other access points for "locals") All the same rules of the road technically apply (drive on right and pass on left), and ED cars are fully insured. The "Zoll," or customs plates, are different from "export" plates.

You have to exit the road at the end of each lap; but you can get right back in line if you want. When I was there, I got a 4 lap ticket and let me and the car "rest" for 10 minutes or so between laps.

Hope this helps

-MrB
(ED 4/28/04) '04 545i Silver Gray/Beige
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
johnofcross
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Superman 2013 F30 335i M Sport

The Ring is basically an expensive toll road. So to get in, you basically just scan your Ring Card that gets credited the toll amount.

Not sure if the rules have changed, but I drove through the ring last September with the Zoll plates with no issue. You just have to be aware when they open, as they close the track often and open late (sometimes only open for like two hours).

Last edited by johnofcross; 04-22-2013 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
norb335i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelk
I wouldn't pre-purchase tickets. There are kiosks and ticket counters where you can buy your tickets when you get there. That way you're not stuck with lap tickets if it rains the day you're going to be there or they close the track for some other reason (like a bad crash). There are no "appointments" per se; you just get in line with the card that is coded with the laps you bought and go when they let you. You swipe the card at the gate; it debits the card for another lap; raises the gate, and you're off.

I was there last in 2010 and had no issues whatsoever getting on the track. The Nordschleife is basically a one-way toll road with no speed limit (except few a few very short sections since there are other access points for "locals") All the same rules of the road technically apply (drive on right and pass on left), and ED cars are fully insured. The "Zoll," or customs plates, are different from "export" plates.

You have to exit the road at the end of each lap; but you can get right back in line if you want. When I was there, I got a 4 lap ticket and let me and the car "rest" for 10 minutes or so between laps.

Hope this helps

-MrB
Thank you very much for all the details, that pretty much answers all my questions. In this case, I will make sure to be aware of the opening hours on the given day and be there well in time and pay for the toll only there, that makes things much more convenient. Thanks again for all the info!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
mrbelk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by norb335i View Post
Thank you very much for all the details, that pretty much answers all my questions. In this case, I will make sure to be aware of the opening hours on the given day and be there well in time and pay for the toll only there, that makes things much more convenient. Thanks again for all the info!
You're welcome. It will all make sense when you get there. Be mindful of your mirrors; the sportbikes can come up on you really fast. Just make sure to keep a consistent line and they can go around you fairly easily.

Honestly, the whole thing is not _that_ much different than driving up in the mountains, except that everyone is going the same direction.

Walking around the paddock area is a treat. You'll see all kinds of cars; from exotics to VW Polos (and don't be surprised if a Polo or Ford Fiesta passes you at some point).

Also, you can't even get a beer in the "grunholle" bar without using your Ring Card. You can add value to them just like you add laps. The whole facility is basically cashless.

You should also have dinner at the "Pistenklause" in the basement of the Hotel am Tiergarten in Nurburg. It's where all of the "Ringers" go for dinner after the track closes. Be sure to make reservations.

-MrB
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
norb335i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelk
Quote:
You're welcome. It will all make sense when you get there. Be mindful of your mirrors; the sportbikes can come up on you really fast. Just make sure to keep a consistent line and they can go around you fairly easily.

Honestly, the whole thing is not _that_ much different than driving up in the mountains, except that everyone is going the same direction.

Walking around the paddock area is a treat. You'll see all kinds of cars; from exotics to VW Polos (and don't be surprised if a Polo or Ford Fiesta passes you at some point).

Also, you can't even get a beer in the "grunholle" bar without using your Ring Card. You can add value to them just like you add laps. The whole facility is basically cashless.

You should also have dinner at the "Pistenklause" in the basement of the Hotel am Tiergarten in Nurburg. It's where all of the "Ringers" go for dinner after the track closes. Be sure to make reservations.

-MrB
Thanks for all the additional info, they are very useful and are greatly appreciated. Now I know where to have dinner too, my plan is getting more and more complete. :-) Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #7
mrbelk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for all the additional info, they are very useful and are greatly appreciated. Now I know where to have dinner too, my plan is getting more and more complete. :-) Thanks again!
Absolutely. That's what makes communities like this so awesome.

Since the track is only open for tourist drives in the afternoon, this might not be possible or practical; but there are some very famous "spectating" spots to watch the cars fly past. Namely the "Brunnchen" (http://goo.gl/maps/134wq) and "Pflanzgarten" (http://goo.gl/maps/2xAKL) turn complexes. On busy days; there are even food trucks at Brunnchen to get a brat.

If you go to the pistenklause for dinner, make sure to get the "Steak on a stone:" a huge cut of Argentinian beef served raw on a blazing hot stone. It comes with a couple different dipping sauces and onions and peppers.

-M
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 10:25 PM   #8
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

I was just there and can confirm that we can drive on The Ring with the tourist ED tags. Also, you don't have to exit after each lap. There's a separate toll gate if you go straight but you might want to take a break after the first lap and digest what you just did. Plus, the parking lot, both right and left sides, are packed with serious cars and owners that are happy to talk about them.

It's a special place, no doubt about it! Don't forget your sticker!
      04-26-2013, 12:27 AM   #9
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Dont pre-buy your tickets, you can by them once there...
furthermore, with the situation going there, you dont know if it will still be open (god forbid)
I say, do your 4 laps first... then buy more if needed, or simply if you are hooked and have time to do them...

I would suggest you run one very slow and careful/mindful lap first, just like how you would slowing get into a pool...

You certainly dont want to go all "cannonball" with your brand new car...

Fun as Hell this Green Hell !
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 12:32 AM   #10
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelk View Post
Absolutely. That's what makes communities like this so awesome.

If you go to the pistenklause for dinner, make sure to get the "Steak on a stone:" a huge cut of Argentinian beef served raw on a blazing hot stone. It comes with a couple different dipping sauces and onions and peppers.

-M

you can find more at:
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...=696214&page=7

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #11
norb335i
Private First Class
Rep

MrB and DrivenByE30,

Thanks for all the additional advise. Now I'm even more excited to do it and will definitely be there well before the track opens to get the spirit of the Nurburgring. Now I have a pretty good understanding of how things work and what to expect, allows me to plan the day well and take the most out of it. :-) I also found a video on YouTube by a British guy showing the whole thing from the parking lot, where to buy the tickets, entering the gate, doing a lap, the "fast lane" for re-entering, etc. It will definitely be one of the highlights of my ED trip.

DrivenByE30,

Thanks for the advice regarding driving, I will definitely be careful, I'm aware of the danger of crashing the car on the track. I'm mostly looking for some fun of dynamic driving, not necessarily for doing the track in the shortest time. You know when you are all focused only on the car and the road and just enjoy being in action all the time, shifting up and down, keeping the car on the right line on the track, accelerating, breaking, operating the clutch, watching out for your surrounding. And of course I also don't want to harm the engine and tires either... Ahh, can't wait to drive and own a manual car again, and especially drive it on European roads, where you only need to focus on driving enjoyably and safely and don't always have to watch out that you again exceeded 65 MPH, especially where you can very safely drive 85-90MPH easily... :-/
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #12
mrbelk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
That's the one. Mouth watering....

-MrB