F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Can't Get Comfortable In the Sport Seats
proTUNING Freaks

04-08-2014, 09:59 PM   #89
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque320 View Post
Traditional doctors have proven COMPLETELY useless treating her or my back pain and are quick to recommend surgery, which is usually a bad idea.. They can look at an MRI where even a layman can see the bulging and herniation and say "this is inconclusive. Chiropractors aren't real doctors, are you a drug seeker? That'll be $450 15 minutes of my time." Frankly, doctors are baffled by back pain and don't know what to do. She even tried epidural steroid injections which didn't help.

The only thing that has helped her and I is regular chiropractic and acupuncture. We also exercise regularly which is essential.
Apologies for making this thread too clinical, but a bulging or even a herniated disc on an an MRI is NOT slam dunk evidence as the cause of leg pain. Numerous studies have been done that show that folks with bulging and herniated discs indicated on the MRI have NO radiating pain down the legs, while folks who have neither DO have terrible radiating pain. If you put clinical signs and symptoms together with an MRI image and they match, you can draw a tentative conclusion (i.e., "inconclusive") but you can't just assume that image = reality.
      04-09-2014, 08:25 AM   #90
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehecht View Post
Apologies for making this thread too clinical, but a bulging or even a herniated disc on an an MRI is NOT slam dunk evidence as the cause of leg pain. Numerous studies have been done that show that folks with bulging and herniated discs indicated on the MRI have NO radiating pain down the legs, while folks who have neither DO have terrible radiating pain. If you put clinical signs and symptoms together with an MRI image and they match, you can draw a tentative conclusion (i.e., "inconclusive") but you can't just assume that image = reality.
I've got a bulging disc and havent ever had leg pain. Hip? yes.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 09:35 AM   #91
daberlin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i EBII MPPK/BBK

Garage List
Quote:
My MRI clearly showed a ruptured disc pressing up against the sciatic. Nothing inconclusive in the scan. The radiating pain was brutal. Two epidurals provided almost zero relief. Decompression worked for me. Saved me from getting cut open.
1986 BMW 325e
1971 VW Super Beetle
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 08:45 PM   #92
Stoofpilot
Naval Aviator
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Wow, and I feel that the standard non sport seats in the 328i are like a slippery slide with little support. Lumbar is fine yet there is no lateral support. Your legs are constantly sliding off the seat.
      04-09-2014, 10:38 PM   #93
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

Quote:
Who ever said anything about leg pain? Back pain.

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 07:49 AM   #94
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque320 View Post
Who ever said anything about leg pain? Back pain.
I think it was daberlin who told a story abut MDs and his sciatic pain, so I was responding to that. Is the seat wedge cushion still working for you? Is it Temperpedic foam (gets harder when it's cold, softer when warmed up)?
      04-10-2014, 10:24 AM   #95
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

Quote:
I think it was daberlin who told a story abut MDs and his sciatic pain, so I was responding to that. Is the seat wedge cushion still working for you? Is it Temperpedic foam (gets harder when it's cold, softer when warmed up)?
Oh, sorry. Yeah the wedge is pretty good. Its regular foam, not memory foam. Sort of a medium firm ordinary foam from this place Foam Mart in Burbank. Doesn't change with the temperature. IF I could have found a memory foam wedge, I would have done that but the key was getting it cut to shape. Everything on the market is too wide for the seat bottom. Its hard to cut memory foam, esp in the shape of a wedge

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 12:12 PM   #96
f30GFX
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 f30328i M

SensaTec Seats Uncomfortable

I have been looking a long time to find people with the same issue. I am happy, yet disappointed to have found those people here.

I have a 2014 f30 M Sport with SensaTec sport seats. I have complained numerous times to BMW and I get the same answer, "The seats are to spec."

It's true, although the specs are wrong. The seat is angled slightly to the left and not straight to the wheel. Your body naturally tries to conform, which creates stress on the lower back. My massage therapist and Acupuncturist love me because I am in weekly for an alignment of my back.

Basically, until my lease is up, I must continue to deal with this and so must you if you own this vehicle. The car is amazing in every other way, but I will not be purchasing this vehicle at the end of the lease.

I am sorry to all who must suffer as well. Our pockets bleed for these cars and yet the manufacturer will do nothing to fix the most basic problem. #disappointed
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 12:28 PM   #97
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

I currently have the sport seats, but have also had the standard BMW seats recently. I have no troubles with either ones, but do prefer the sport seats over the regular ones. I suspect owners issues relate to their particular health problems/issues. BMW has some of the best seats in the market, IMO, and I hope they do not try to fix something that is not broken.
      08-18-2016, 01:41 PM   #98
Herakles
Captain
Rep
Drives: United States

owning a 2011 335 with sports seats- love them, feel sport and supportive- but getting in a F30 sport seats feels also COMFORTABLE , sporty and supportive-

Any paritcular reason guys?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 03:39 PM   #99
f30GFX
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 f30328i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
I currently have the sport seats, but have also had the standard BMW seats recently. I have no troubles with either ones, but do prefer the sport seats over the regular ones. I suspect owners issues relate to their particular health problems/issues. BMW has some of the best seats in the market, IMO, and I hope they do not try to fix something that is not broken.
The SensaTec seats are super comfortable, they are just not aligned correctly and refuse to make any adjustments at dealership
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 05:51 PM   #100
Smoothkaos
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i Sport Line

I know this thread is a bit older now but I figure I'll add my 2 cents and make it current again since I'm new to the forum. I just bought a '15 328i SportLine and fell in love with the performance and pkg/options although I wish I would've noticed the thigh bolsters during the test drive but I was wearing shorts which give a bit more room for 'the boys'. With my Dockers on and with my large sized legs the thigh bolsters are a pain in the ass pun intended. They're so damn narrow as well and being that I'm 6'0"/240lbs it's a constant adjustment circus when I'm stuck in traffic or on a long commute somewhere.
Appreciate 0