F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Engine shutdown after gearbox oil overheat warning?
European Auto Source

10-24-2016, 04:39 PM   #1
ABH
Rep
Drives: In Build - F31 340i MSport

Engine shutdown after gearbox oil overheat warning?

Our new 340 shutdown unexpectedly after a raft of engine management warnings and gearbox oil overheat messages. Fortunately we were stationary in traffic at the time so no major drama. BMW Emergency response came out pronto to check the car but no obvious cause found. The car is now at the dealers to investigate why this occurred.

I'd be interested to hear if others on the forum had experienced similar random Canbus communication issues which resulted in engine off?

Thx in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 04:55 PM   #2
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M Sport

Garage List
I'd be surprised that it shut down the engine, more that stop start kicked in....

2017 BMW 330d M Sport : 2015 BMW 220d M Sport
2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 05:11 PM   #3
Random75
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbeemerboy View Post
I'd be surprised that it shut down the engine, more that stop start kicked in....
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 05:14 PM   #4
ABH
Rep

Yes good point! We were in traffic so It's very possible it was stop start which caused it to stop normally after the warning messages came on. Coincidence rather that warnings occurred then engine appeared to switch off!! As you say more likely it wouldn't restart with that many red warning errors. But it wouldn't restart no matter what we tried. Even resorted to getting everyone out, locking and unlocking the car then attempting to restart. We had normal ignition lights on the dashboard + engine management yellow warning symbol but nothing further when pressing start. In the end we had someone arrive with wheel dollies and push us out of the way.

2 hours later when we returned to the car it did start ok though yellow engine warning remained. The tech said there were multiple faults none of which were current and despite a basic connector/earth check couldn't diagnose further.

We're awaiting further diagnoses and I'll post the results in case it's helpful for others in the future.

I'd still be interested to know if others had experienced random unexplained engine/transmission errors which prevented your car from starting and then mysteriously cleared later on!

Thx
A.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 05:17 PM   #5
MarkG_M3CP
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CP

There was a similar report a couple of years back on the forum.

teaston is our resident search expert so may be able to locate it.

I seem to recall it was either and engine or gearbox major failure which needed complete replacement!

I hope it's not that in a shiny new 340!!
      10-24-2016, 05:27 PM   #6
ABH
Rep

That's cheered me up ;-)

I look forward to hearing the dealerships view. I'm hoping it's just a duff control unit, sensor or connector and easily solved.

After persuading management to get the 340, I'm not sure I'm ready for her reaction to an engine replacement 7 weeks in.

Let's keep that theory between us !!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 06:24 PM   #7
stefan4
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

bad times, i hope its nothing toi serious and gets quickly resolved, keep us posted

Previous - '13 320i MSport 8AT, Pro Nav,
403M, EB11
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 07:29 PM   #8
ABH
Rep

Car is back!

Dealership didn't/wouldn't specify which control module had failed, but said it was unusual for this particular module to pack up. They had to order one from the factory. None held in stock in the U.K. Apparently the unit didn't fail because of a contributing factor. Just an isolated incident with one module. No damage caused anywhere else which is reassuring to know.

We have to trust it won't reoccur and have been assured another failure is highly unlikely.

We aim to go back to enjoying this amazing car. Already have trips to Europe planned next year. Can't wait for some epic drives.

All systems nominal. You may proceed!
Appreciate 0