F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Do you put the handbrake on when in P?

07-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche

Do you put the handbrake on when in P?

Okay, so I've seen a bunch of photos of people's car with an automatic trans and it's in park and they are on a flat surface and yet they still pull the handbrake. What's the story with this?

Where I come from, you never use the handbrake when parked unless you're on a steep surface.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
BonanzaNLD
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: waiting for...328i (F30)

I only use the handbrake to move around the corner.
      07-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonanzaNLD View Post
I only use the handbrake to move around the corner.
For real? I know they do that at the BMW Performance Center, but doesn't it hurt the car to use the handbrake to turn when you're in motion? I've never done that because I thought it was bad for the car.

I have a Jeep until I get my ActiveHybrid 3. Never done a handbrake turn with my Jeep. It wouldn't roll it, would it? lol
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCali View Post
Okay, so I've seen a bunch of photos of people's car with an automatic trans and it's in park and they are on a flat surface and yet they still pull the handbrake. What's the story with this?

Where I come from, you never use the handbrake when parked unless you're on a steep surface.
Always handbrake when arrived at destination and in Park for me. Secures the car further and means that if it were moved, it reduces the risk of the rear wheels rotating and knackering the transmission.

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
growing up I was taught to always use the handbrake because if not you are putting the entire weight of the car on the tranny which can strain it. Especially on hills the tranny can snap so prob just good habit to do it anyway. I have a manual so i do it anyway
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
Always handbrake when arrived at destination and in Park for me. Secures the car further and means that if it were moved, it reduces the risk of the rear wheels rotating and knackering the transmission.
Moved how? Like crashed into? Sounds like a dumb reason to put the parking brake on?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Porsche 981 Cayman GTS

Quote:

I think the ideal technique is to engage the parking brake first, then put the transmission in "Park" to reduce the amount of stress on the "pawl" (the device in the auto transmission that locks up the movement in Park) and the rest of the transmission components. Incline or not, I think it's best for the parking brake to take that stress rather than the transmission. The parking brake can also prevent or reduce movement if the car is hit or pushed, preventing transmission damage or a broken pawl. I'm sure someone here with more technical knowledge than me could elaborate on this??
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #8
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb817 View Post
I think the ideal technique is to engage the parking brake first, then put the transmission in "Park" to reduce the amount of stress on the "pawl" (the device in the auto transmission that locks up the movement in Park) and the rest of the transmission components. Incline or not, I think it's best for the parking brake to take that stress rather than the transmission. The parking brake can also prevent or reduce movement if the car is hit or pushed, preventing transmission damage or a broken pawl. I'm sure someone here with more technical knowledge than me could elaborate on this??
99.9% of Americans at least don't do that and their cars are unaffected. I can't imagine pulling the parking brake and THEN putting the transmission in Park is going to provide any noticeable gain. Maybe if you plan on keeping the car for 50 years you'd get a few extra days out of the transmission.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
SD ///M4
Blue (and Orange) Bimmers Rule!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M4 Coupe | 06 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Exactly what he said. Here's a post that actually has some useful information in it instead of speculation even though it may seem like a "dumb reason" to some.

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #10
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

I would if i had an auto transmission...

.... to elaborate on that:

whenever i drive someone else's car (typically people tends to drive auto),
i.e. my girlfriend's Lexus RX330...

as i finish parking:
1) i continue to keep my left foot firmly on the brake pedal.
2) i shift the gear lever to Park
2b) i still keep my left foot on the brake pedal.
3) i push the hand brake pedal firmly all the way down
4) i finally let go of the brake pedal.

and the car doesn't move with that typical back and forth motion, which i hate and i fear for that little pin you guys are talking about...

Basically using the Auto transmission the way i would with my Manual...

Last edited by DrivenByE30; 07-02-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #11
zeezz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport Line

Quote:
99.9% of Americans at least don't do that and their cars are unaffected. I can't imagine pulling the parking brake and THEN putting the transmission in Park is going to provide any noticeable gain. Maybe if you plan on keeping the car for 50 years you'd get a few extra days out of the transmission.
Actually, I know a lot of people that do (including me). It looks like BMW is not particular about the order, however.

Here's what the F30 manual says for 'stopping the engine' (pg 61)

Set the parking brake firmly when parking; oth‐
erwise, the vehicle could roll. On steep upward
and downward inclines, further secure the vehi‐
cle, for example, by turning the steering wheel in
the direction of the curb.

Switching off the engine
1. Engage transmission position P with the ve‐
hicle stopped.
2. Press the Start/Stop button.
The engine is switched off.
The radio ready state is switched on.
3. Set the parking brake.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #12
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Porsche 981 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Yes, but how much additional effort does it take to do it in the proper order to prevent potential problems? It still doesn't take away from the fact that inadvertent, forced movement of the parked car will be more likely to cause costly damage to the transmission if the parking brake isn't engaged.

Some fun "Driver's Ed" reading on parking brake usage: "You should set the parking brake while your foot is still on the brake pedal and before shifting into “park”. This reduces the strain on the parking pawl."
http://www.driversedguru.com/driving...parking-brake/
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #13
RobUK
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i EBII

Garage List
Quote:
^^^

+1
      07-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #14
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep

Exclamation

Quote:
Yes, but how much additional effort does it take to do it in the proper order to prevent potential problems? It still doesn't take away from the fact that inadvertent, forced movement of the parked car will be more likely to cause costly damage to the transmission if the parking brake isn't engaged.

Some fun "Driver's Ed" reading on parking brake usage: "You should set the parking brake while your foot is still on the brake pedal and before shifting into “park”. This reduces the strain on the parking pawl."
http://www.driversedguru.com/driving...parking-brake/

Great Link Luke!

Let me repost that since your post kinda hide it....:

"You should set the parking brake while your foot is still on the brake pedal and before shifting into “park”. This reduces the strain on the parking pawl."
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #15
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Moved how? Like crashed into? Sounds like a dumb reason to put the parking brake on?
Yep. It does happen. I want my rear wheels locked up if my car is moved. Better to be safe than sorry! Haha, plus it's habit after all my life manual up till now!

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #16
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
^^^

+1
Love your signature, Rob btw

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #17
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
I always use my handbrakes..

In car with AT, I do it as follows:

I push with my foot on the brake, I move the gear selector to P, pull the handbrake and let go of the brake.

When I drive manual, I do it similar:

I push with my feet on the clutch and brake, I move the gear selector to the first gear, pull the handbrake and let go of both clutch and brake.

That is, of course, if I'm not in freezing weather. If I drive somewhere where the weather goes below a certain temperature, then I wont use the handbrake at all due to the risk of freezing (dunno if it's still a risk in modern age cars but that's the way I learned it lol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
keep my left foot firmly on the brake pedal.
2b) i still keep my left foot on the brake pedal.
The left foot? Shouldn't that be the right? (for what I know the left is only used for the clutch when driving manual and shouldn't be used in an automatic because of the risk of using the brake and throttle at the same time)

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #18
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
A friend of mine parked his SUV on the hill side in Jamaica last Christmas vacation. Since he moved to FL before learning to drive in Jamaica he was accustom to parking without the handbrake. When he was ready to leave they found the SUV crashed in a tree at the bottom. Looks like the tranny snapped and the SUV went on its merry way. It was a Mitsubishi Montero
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #19
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
I always use my handbrakes..

In car with AT, I do it as follows:

I push with my foot on the brake, I move the gear selector to P, pull the handbrake and let go of the brake.

When I drive manual, I do it similar:

I push with my feet on the clutch and brake, I move the gear selector to the first gear, pull the handbrake and let go of both clutch and brake.

That is, of course, if I'm not in freezing weather. If I drive somewhere where the weather goes below a certain temperature, then I wont use the handbrake at all due to the risk of freezing (dunno if it's still a risk in modern age cars but that's the way I learned it lol).
i dont think it's a problem anymore... you can break the ice as you start driving the car anyway... ice cannot be stronger than steel... can it ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
The left foot? Shouldn't that be the right? (for what I know the left is only used for the clutch when driving manual and shouldn't be used in an automatic because of the risk of using the brake and throttle at the same time)
Oh boy... i confused my right from my left...!!

maybe it wasn't such a good idea for me to buy a manual transmission...
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #20
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
i dont think it's a problem anymore... you can break the ice as you start driving the car anyway... ice cannot be stronger than steel... can it ??

http://nb3026.k12.sd.us/Titanic/titanic%20paint.jpg

Oh boy... i confused my right from my left...!!

maybe it wasn't such a good idea for me to buy a manual transmission...
I actually thought you meant for real you used your left foot lmao xD

Seriously though, I see it sometimes on the freeway, people who have their brakelights on for a long time, they just have their left foot resting on the brake pedal lol

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #21
Yobyot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY12 F30 ZSL

Quote:

Not using the hand brake is mildly insane: you are relying on the transmission to hold the car instead of the brakes.

In ATs, the parking prawl is among the most delicate parts of the transmission and in an MT, putting the whole weight of the car on a gear can also lead to premature wear.

In fact, many people will apply the parking brake BEFORE putting the car in park to ensure that the weight of the car is on the brakes, not the transmission.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #22
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
i remember my first driving test at the dmv i failed because i drove an automatic and when asked to parallel park i put it in P and didn't use the handbrake.

the second time i went i drove in a stick and when i parallel parked i put up the hand brake just because it was a stick. and i passed. i was destined to drive stick. lol

i have the 8AT but i still put up the handbrake because it is habit now.
you wouldn't leave your car in 1st gear without the handbrake would you?
Appreciate 0