F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > I am liking Google Now (android) in my car
GetBMWParts

09-09-2014, 03:34 AM   #45
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I see.
Dang, whoever comes up with an ultimate solution to this deserves McDonald's iced coffee and chocolate chip cookies. I am serious.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 10:27 AM   #46
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
UPDATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
I have been following this thread since I have a 2014 328i with Tech package and a Samsung S4.

First off, I have phone and car blue tooth paired. When I get a call, it comes through on the car's hands-free, regardless of whether I have the phone in the in the snap in adaptor or just in my pocket -- provided I remember to turn on phone's Blue tooth.

When in the adaptor, to use BMW Connected App, I have to have that App running before I put the adaptor in the tray; then it usually connects -- but as someone said above, there isn't much this App adds; the adaptor, does, however, keep the phone charging.

BTW, regardless of whether the phone is in adaptor or my pocket, I also have access to my phone's contact list.

Now for the weird stuff. I discovered that, with phone's Blue tooth on, by clicking SETTINGS, then MORE, then LOCATION, scroll down to bottom of screen, click MY PLACES, then click CAR, the phone goes into hands-free mode whenever I get in the car -- WOW, thought this was great!! S-Voice let me know when I got text message (SMS) and read it to me, if I said so after it asked (and could respond to it verbally, as well) -- though the voice is a little hard to understand. For the first incoming call, I long press on the button on the steering wheel and I can converse using the hands-free -- STILL GREAT!! Here comes the rub. On subsequent phone calls, I try to answer (the same way) and nothing!!!

I have undone this because of it's unpredictability. Also, still no joy for EMail

Anyone have any ideas???

Has anyone tried the Robin Android App??

Thanks
Over the past week, I downloaded and installed UPD5062.BIN from the BMW.COM site. Seems to have fixed the "weird stuff" I reported earlier, as well as improving the odds for a satisfactory link with ConnectedDrive.

Having said that, however, the Samsung S4 S Voice sometimes is hard to understand and is not as extensible as Google Now's voice, particularly in light of such add-in Apps as Tasker, which seems to allow you to "program in new commands" to the phone. My remaining question is: Does the process originally outlined in the first post still work, particularly since I am now running Android v4.4.4 on my phone?

Appreciate any counsel

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 09:59 PM   #47
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1

Here is what I have found to work best..................

2014 428IX with Nav.....................

1. I use Steelie Nitzzie phone holder, Google it, it's the best car phone holder period!

2. I always plug my phone in to charge when in my car and have TASKER set to turn on Bluetooth whenever the phone is charging, so I'm automatically connected to Bluetooth

3. I use SCREEBL form the play store so when ever my phone is in the Steelie Nitzee magnetic car phone holder my screen stays on because it is in upright position (function of SCREEBL)

4. I installed Google Search button/app from the play store

5. When I say OK GOOGLE, the listening mike appears on my Idrive screen, and the voice prompt works through the car speakers. As long as the music is not loud, I can say OK GOOGLE and the phone will react and stop the music and listen. You can use any command as you normally would with GOOGLE NOW

Near perfect solution to full handsfree in car with Android

5. I have my LG G3 to respond to OK GOOGLE
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 09:44 AM   #48
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsbabybeamer View Post

1. I use Steelie Nitzzie phone holder, Google it, it's the best car phone holder period!

2. I always plug my phone in to charge when in my car and have TASKER set to turn on Bluetooth whenever the phone is charging, so I'm automatically connected to Bluetooth

3. I use SCREEBL form the play store so when ever my phone is in the Steelie Nitzee magnetic car phone holder my screen stays on because it is in upright position (function of SCREEBL)

Here's thought for your consideration -- and something I have done that helps keep my phone "awake".

Since you always plug your phone in when in the car, here's a simple way to keep screen on when charging (it is one of those "hidden features"):
* Tap on SETTINGS > MORE > ABOUT DEVICE Now Tap BUILD NUMBER 7 times.
* Now go back one screen to the MORE screen, a new item will appear DEVELOPER OPTIONS. Tap on it and then tap on STAY AWAKE check box

Having done that, whenever your phone is charging, the screen will stay on, which may be very similar to what Screebl is doing for you

Hope that helps

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 03:33 PM   #49
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1

Appreciate the info, however Screebl is the best option for me since it works well for me whenever I use the phone, I wouldn't want it to be on whenever it is charging. A bit off subject, I use Gravity Screen and Sreebl. Gravity Screen turns my phone on or off when I take it out or put it in the holster via the proximity sensor and Screebl keeps my screen on when ever I hold the phone to look at it. They work perfectly together.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 06:41 PM   #50
f30taiwan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsbabybeamer View Post

4. I installed Google Search button/app from the play store

5. When I say OK GOOGLE, the listening mike appears on my Idrive screen, and the voice prompt works through the car speakers. As long as the music is not loud, I can say OK GOOGLE and the phone will react and stop the music and listen. You can use any command as you normally would with GOOGLE NOW

Near perfect solution to full handsfree in car with Android

Hi donsbabybeamer,

I also tried to repeat your steps on my LG G3 excepts the Steelie Nitzzie phone holder and Google Search button/app. The long-press of the voice command button on my steering wheel does not function. Say, there is no listening mike or any response.

Could you help me describe the steps in more detail? For example, I am not quite sure what Google Search button/app is because I found a lot of related apps but no one of the exactly same name.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 10:17 PM   #51
rp2pilot
Rep
Drives: 2015 328 Xdrive

I use a free android app called BT Gnow that launches Google now voice instead of S-Voice or default Google dialer .. it comes up when I long press the voice button on the steering wheel (it works with any bluetooth headset dial button, not just the car's).
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 04:57 PM   #52
CarlosC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp2pilot View Post
I use a free android app called BT Gnow that launches Google now voice instead of S-Voice or default Google dialer .. it comes up when I long press the voice button on the steering wheel (it works with any bluetooth headset dial button, not just the car's).
Any of these app solutions compatible with CIC?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 04:36 AM   #53
f30taiwan
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp2pilot View Post

Maybe it was due to my car's mfg date which is before July 2012?

I installed NBT recently. 6NR was also enabled. Everything works well, but the voice button long press just does not function any way in my car. Anybody who has an F30 with earlier than July 2012 manufacturing date but the voice button works when long pressing it?

By the way, I have tried my LG G3, Apple iPhone 6 and iPod Touch 6 as well.

Thanks a lot. I am quite upset about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 03:46 PM   #54
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30taiwan View Post
Maybe it was due to my car's mfg date which is before July 2012?
I think it's actually July 2013, rather than 2012. This is also the manuf. date where Android connected works.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 05:49 AM   #55
f30taiwan
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
I think it's actually July 2013, rather than 2012. This is also the manuf. date where Android connected works.
Thanks for the information. My NBT works with Android apps.
The only thing does not work is the voice button long-press function.

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 09:39 PM   #56
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

My NBT (March '13) doesn't work with Android apps nor long press. Although the hardware likely supports it, BMW disallows software functionally for certain build dates.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 03:02 AM   #57
psid
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition (F82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffab View Post
Not a question, but help for any other Android users who stumble into this BMW/Apple heavy world, and miss this feature I just discovered.... if you have a BMW after Dec 2013, it integrates to Apple Siri and Google Now via a long press of the speak command button - this directs all voice conversations to your phone via Bluetooth.
This has just made my day, thank you.

Been so frustrated with the lack of 'seamlessness' between BMW's iDrive and my mobile phone (Android). In my previous car (Audi) I had an Android Auto head unit which was incredible - Google Maps, Google Play Music (saved stations/playlists), Notifications, Voice Commands, everything, right there, and it all worked brilliantly.

Now at least I can play Google Play Music via voice command, send messages, ask questions, etc without having to pick up my phone (or shout "OK Google").

The icing on the cake would be for some kind of integration between Google Maps and BMW navigation, or better still, a complete replacement of BMW navigation with Google Maps...
Appreciate 0