F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Rust in Seat Base ?
Studio RSR

09-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #23
john08135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M Sport, 2010 bmw S1000RR

Did it fall off the boat on the way over?
      09-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #24
CrankyMan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 325Ci Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra08R View Post
Totally unacceptable. My Wife's new F30 had cracks on the outta edges of the B pillars on all 4 doors... its fair to say my next car will not be a BMW
It's a disgrace to have cracks on the B pillars.
Have you taken any photos of this problem?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #25
dcg71
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Totally unacceptable. My Wife's new F30 had cracks on the outta edges of the B pillars on all 4 doors... its fair to say my next car will not be a BMW
That's a pretty minor issue to be basing your next purchase on. Pillar covers are easily replaceable and covered under warranty.
2000 E46 318i Cosmos Black
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #26
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

Quote:
Did they replace em?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 06:13 AM   #27
Tra08R
Money never sleeps
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 - 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyMan View Post
You are right it is a disgrace especially for a $70,000 car, if VW's $25,000 car can get it right why cant BMW. I note It is a small issue but nevertheless an issue that cannot be overlooked and is unacceptable. They will replace it, but they were scrutinising as thought we mistreated it... which we didnt. I have also found some US postings where others had similar problems, apparently the coating on both the gloss and matt pillars are susceptible to flaking rather easily.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 02:46 PM   #28
Ozolz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 116i m-sport 2014

I got this rust on seat base-issue on my F20 and after a very heated discussion with my BMW dealer in Sweden said that they dont have a solution yet. That I should contact them again in 1-2 months and they will sort it out then.

How can this be true if people from other countries got their rust issue sorted?

This F20 was my third BMW-car but now my loyalty to BMW and trust in my dealers competence is almost completely gone. Mostly because they tried to convince me to ignore this rust and that they are not responsible....and the car is only few months old...insane
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 06:06 AM   #29
Tra08R
Money never sleeps
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozolz View Post
I got this rust on seat base-issue on my F20 and after a very heated discussion with my BMW dealer in Sweden said that they dont have a solution yet. That I should contact them again in 1-2 months and they will sort it out then.

How can this be true if people from other countries got their rust issue sorted?

This F20 was my third BMW-car but now my loyalty to BMW and trust in my dealers competence is almost completely gone. Mostly because they tried to convince me to ignore this rust and that they are not responsible....and the car is only few months old...insane
Like i said before on another post. My next car with definately not be a BMW. So disappointed in my F30 with or without rust... it just feels like a cheap car I am sorry.. So far I have talked my inLaws and 2 work mates from getting a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 06:08 AM   #30
Tra08R
Money never sleeps
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyMan View Post
yes I have a tonne of photos
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 07:34 AM   #31
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
]My next car with definately not be a BMW. So disappointed in my F30 with or without rust... it just feels like a cheap car I am sorry
So sorry to read about your disappointment(s). Could you please elaborate on why it feels like a cheap car to you. My F30 is my 4th 3 Series (E36, 46, 90 priors) and none of them ever felt cheap to me.

In fact, I have commented on numerous occasions on this forum that my E90 was so well made, after 7 years it still felt every bit as tight as it did on day 1. I expect the F30 to be the same, if not better.

Again, sorry you have such bad luck/feelings with your F30.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #32
Tra08R
Money never sleeps
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
So sorry to read about your disappointment(s). Could you please elaborate on why it feels like a cheap car to you. My F30 is my 4th 3 Series (E36, 46, 90 priors) and none of them ever felt cheap to me.

In fact, I have commented on numerous occasions on this forum that my E90 was so well made, after 7 years it still felt every bit as tight as it did on day 1. I expect the F30 to be the same, if not better.

Again, sorry you have such bad luck/feelings with your F30.
E46 and my E9x car great great cars...Sorry if i am not clear. the F30 is my 3rd 3 series (e46 - Still own but parents using it, e92 - my daily driver, F30 320d, Wife has one too). I bought the F30 not really needing a new car, but just did it haphazardly coz I was able to get a good deal, didnt put much thought into it or examined it in detail...will be trading in my e92 very soon..however I may now just keep the e92 as days have gone by and i realise its abit of a downgrade... will see.

The e46 is a tight car (made in S.A), as is the e92 (made in Germany). The F30 feels like a cheaper car (i realise it is very difficult to substantiate and its all relative so relatively speaking.. my statement is backed by the following.

1) Downgraded Centre armrest leather quality on F30 vs previous cars - the grade is now that much cheaper - just touch it and examine it. look at the folds and perforation from the stitching and u will have an idea how its a much lower and thinner quality leather than in the past. Side door leather quality simply not as supple to e92 as well.

2) Carpets...comb your hand over the carpets on the side walls..near the tranny and do the same for your e92 or E46. Just feels like a different grade

3) Doors - you gotta notice this one.. e46 and e9x shuts like a vault. F30 sounds like a Japanese car (not a thick and study thud. But more a thud with some reverberations

4) tactile feel of plastic buttons - examine the electric window buttons vs. those on the e46

5) Dash plastic - tap it. then do so for the e46. The e46 dash plastic has a softer supple feel that you can kind of skin your finger into a bit whereas the F30 are hard and plasticky. Do you also get a sense that the steering wheel airbag unit exterior plastic is again very plasticky with over etched leather grains as though someone dialed up the detail button??

6) F30 - electric steering vs hydraulic (F30 335i and M cars will retain hydraulic I was told. There is more road feel from my e46, e92.

7) All aluminium struts and suspension to reduce weight on the e9x, now its just STEEL... I can stand advancements, but not backward advancements

8) e46 has some nice details around ..not the door hinge but the locking component where the door connects with the chasis, the metal is chrome plated and had a plastic plate covering the exposed bolts which i found elegant. On the F30 its exposed you sell the galvanised metal and bolts. I realise its all to do with cost saving but i thought i'll still point that out.

9) Might be car specific but - Wind noise.. never an issue in the past, Rusted seats, pillar chips.

To be fair here are the pros
- Bigger and roomier
- Refinement ASIDE, new selection of engines have way more power and torque
- More contemporary design, nicer angel eyes, nicer front bar kinda Audi-esque

I dont dislike the car, but the above are my observations...I am aware probably more so than others that the Auto makers are having a really hard time passing on the higher imput cost to consumers..hence they need to be more economical with efficiency, procument and sourcing of suppliers etc etc..and hence the quality issues.

Last edited by Tra08R; 11-17-2012 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 04:12 PM   #33
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

The rust problem is totally unacceptable and quite shocking. Rotten metal remains rotten. Where else can there be rust? I'd be very unhappy if I was presented with a new car with this problem. I'd reject it.

Now as far as the overall fit and finish is concerned, the Munich made F30s I have encountered in the UK have a fit and finish second to none, and trust me, I am extremely fussy. I have been through F30s with a tooth comb and was more than satisfied with the car in every way. The car was far superior to comparable Audis and better than my Mercedes C Class 350 CDI Sport saloon. My other car which is a Mk6 Golf GTI, also felt a class below in quality.

I wonder what has gone wrong with the cars the above posters have come across? I'd also be very discouraged.
      11-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #34
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
1) Downgraded Centre armrest leather quality on F30 vs previous cars - the grade is not that much lower than the seats - just touch it and examine it. look at the folds and perforation from the stitching and u will have an idea how its a much lower and thinner quality leather than in the past

2) This one is more obvious - Carpets...comb your hand over the carpets on the side walls..near the tranny and do the same for your e92 or E46.

3) Doors - you gotta notice this one.. e46 and e9x shuts like a vault. F30 sounds like a Japanese car (not a thick and study thud. But more a thud with some reverberations

4) tactile feel of plastic buttons - examine the electric window buttons vs. those on the e46

5) Dash plastic - tap it. then do so for the e46 enuff said

6) F30 - electric steering vs hydraulic (F30 335i and M cars will retain hydraulic I was told. There is more road feel from my e46, e92.

7) All aluminium struts and suspension to reduce weight on the e9x, now its just STEEL... I can stand advancements, but not backward advancements

8) Might be car specific but - Wind noise.. never an issue in the past, Rusted seats, pillar chips.
If you don't mind me responding, possibly a little firmly at times, but never in a condescending manner.

1. Not evident to me. I like it but will take a close look next time. As for the seats, I have the sports seats and they are by far the very best I have sat on.

2. My E90 had great carpets but so too has the F30. I have looked very closely at the F30 carpets as I am cleaning the F30 myself, so I have felt the plush pile when pulling out little bits of grit and just generally feeling and fluffing the carpet.

3. The E90 doors closed with a reasonable 'thunk' unless the windows were down (open everything to air out the car after long day in the sun). When the windows were down, there was a distinct lack of solid thunk due to window vibration, so the door closing sound was distinctly tinny in comparison.

As for the F30, much duller, more distinct thunk upon closing, unless slammed shut. Some of my passengers might have been a little heavy handed recently. No problem but I hate slamming. Anyway, just yesterday I was cleaning the car and noticed how much more rubber there was around the doors compared to the E90. The F30 is a clear door closing thunk winner for me over the E90.

4. Out of sight, out of mind. I had an E46 from 1998 till 2005. I gave it up (traded it in) for the E90 in less than a heartbeat. I really did not like it towards the end due to its distinct lack of get up and go from the 323i's under powered I6 engine. Only thing is I cannot remember what the buttons felt like. Comparing the E90 to the F30, I find the window lift buttons to be pretty much the same, albeit in a slightly better position now than in the E90. To me, the buttons are as good as each other and feel very nice, with positive feedback.

5. Again, I forgot what the E46 dash felt like, only comparing the E90 & F30 and the F30 is fine for me.

6. That's is a personal one. In at least one other thread, I posted my feedback when driving the F30 and E90 back to back a few times within a 2 week period from F30 delivery to E90 sale. I an so very used to the F30 now anyway, but driving the E90 after the F30, I thought the power steering had failed, it was so heavy in comparison. I am very happy with the electric steering, especially when parking.

7. Backwards? The F30 has the very best, smoothest ride for me. M-Sport suspension and 19" wheels + very smooth ride is major advancement over E90 sport suspension, 17" wheels and a very tight, harsh (please do not misunderstand me - I LOVED the tight, hard suspension setup) ride. Very jumpy over the smallest holes.

8. Yes. Thankfully I do not have those issues.

I believe you have found fault with the F30 due to your point 8, which is, in itself disappointing and unacceptable for the car to have been delivered to you in such a state. Had you not been presented with these build quality failings, do you think you would be as critical of the F30 as you have been? Are you just looking to find issues when there really aren't any?

Yes, 1 to 7 are personal opinions, but when they differ from the vast majority, such opinions can rightly be questioned.

Ok, so here's a build quality issue, very minor but it could have a ripple effect. I am not saying my car is perfect - perfect for me but not built perfectly. The red rear reflector just above the tailpipe dropped off my car within a few days after delivery. No signs of forced removal, just looks like it fell off. Having the part net from Germany.

No comparison to your car's real issues, but if there is a manufacturing tolerance issue, perhaps thousands of cars' reflects may fall off.

That is called mass production, even in a BMW and it is nowhere near perfect.

I hope you have your issues sorted quickly so you can get down and enjoy your F30. Cheers.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #35
Tra08R
Money never sleeps
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
The red rear reflector just above the tailpipe dropped off my car within a few days after delivery..
I rest my case...
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 06:45 PM   #36
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60, Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
The rust problem is totally unacceptable and quite shocking. Rotten metal remains rotten. Where else can there be rust? I'd be very unhappy if I was presented with a new car with this problem. I'd reject it.

Now as far as the overall fit and finish is concerned, the Munich made F30s I have encountered in the UK have a fit and finish second to none, and trust me, I am extremely fussy. I have been through F30s with a tooth comb and was more than satisfied with the car in every way. The car was far superior to comparable Audis and better than my Mercedes C Class 350 CDI Sport saloon. My other car which is a Mk6 Golf GTI, also felt a class below in quality.

I wonder what has gone wrong with the cars the above posters have come across? I'd also be very discouraged.
Most of the demonstrators in NZ are German builds. I can confidently say there is no noticeable difference in build between those and the SA cars -- I've driven both. In fact the German car had couple of rattles which the SA car did not.
BMW iX M60, Storm Bay with XPEL Stealth PPF, Exterior Line Titan Bronze, 1EW 22" 1023 Wheels, Amido Leather, Comfort Package, Interior Camera, Clear&Bold, Sun Protection Glazing, B&W Diamond Sound, Folding Towbar, Rear Axle Steering.

Last edited by JonoNZ; 11-17-2012 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: Incomplete
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #37
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I rest my case.
With all due respect and please do not take this the wrong way, but sorry, what case? Nothing else has fallen off my car thankfully - not yet, anyway. However, I doubt anything else will either.

Besides, your case has nothing to do with parts of your car falling off.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 12:00 AM   #38
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60, Macan Turbo

Wow, that rust is a bad look. I guess it is mostly cosmetic but jeepers BMW need to get on top of quality control.

If my car is delivered with rust like that anywhere I will be quite unimpressed.
BMW iX M60, Storm Bay with XPEL Stealth PPF, Exterior Line Titan Bronze, 1EW 22" 1023 Wheels, Amido Leather, Comfort Package, Interior Camera, Clear&Bold, Sun Protection Glazing, B&W Diamond Sound, Folding Towbar, Rear Axle Steering.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #39
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Thanks for this, just checked. The seats have rust so I'm contacting the dealer shortly. Anyone know if there is a service bulletin or anything?
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #40
acherny
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3 guy View Post
Thanks for this, just checked. The seats have rust so I'm contacting the dealer shortly. Anyone know if there is a service bulletin or anything?
I'd be interested if there is a bulletin for this as well, same problem on my one month old 328.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #41
therudies86
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320d

Unfortunately, I've found more rust - this time in the rear seat (lugs for the fold down component).

I emailed the dealer and they advised to bring it in and they'll get the rust removed. I replied that I am not confident that all of the rust has been identified - what about all of the steel parts I can't see ? And I am unclear as to the cause. I am awaiting a reply and will advise when I do so.

This has not helped in my perceptions of the quality of my vehicle.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Rear Seat 1.pdf (29.4 KB, 605 views)
File Type: pdf Rear Seat 2.pdf (43.2 KB, 511 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #42
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
E46 and my E9x car great great cars...Sorry if i am not clear. the F30 is my 3rd 3 series (e46 - Still own but parents using it, e92 - my daily driver, F30 320d, Wife has one too). I bought the F30 not really needing a new car, but just did it haphazardly coz I was able to get a good deal, didnt put much thought into it or examined it in detail...will be trading in my e92 very soon..however I may now just keep the e92 as days have gone by and i realise its abit of a downgrade... will see.

The e46 is a tight car (made in S.A), as is the e92 (made in Germany). The F30 feels like a cheaper car (i realise it is very difficult to substantiate and its all relative so relatively speaking.. my statement is backed by the following.

1) Downgraded Centre armrest leather quality on F30 vs previous cars - the grade is now that much cheaper - just touch it and examine it. look at the folds and perforation from the stitching and u will have an idea how its a much lower and thinner quality leather than in the past. Side door leather quality simply not as supple to e92 as well.

2) Carpets...comb your hand over the carpets on the side walls..near the tranny and do the same for your e92 or E46. Just feels like a different grade

5) Dash plastic - tap it. then do so for the e46. The e46 dash plastic has a softer supple feel that you can kind of skin your finger into a bit whereas the F30 are hard and plasticky. Do you also get a sense that the steering wheel airbag unit exterior plastic is again very plasticky with over etched leather grains as though someone dialed up the detail button??

8) e46 has some nice details around ..not the door hinge but the locking component where the door connects with the chasis, the metal is chrome plated and had a plastic plate covering the exposed bolts which i found elegant. On the F30 its exposed you sell the galvanised metal and bolts. I realise its all to do with cost saving but i thought i'll still point that out.

9) Might be car specific but - Wind noise.. never an issue in the past, Rusted seats, pillar chips.

To be fair here are the pros
- Bigger and roomier
- Refinement ASIDE, new selection of engines have way more power and torque
- More contemporary design, nicer angel eyes, nicer front bar kinda Audi-esque

I dont dislike the car, but the above are my observations...I am aware probably more so than others that the Auto makers are having a really hard time passing on the higher imput cost to consumers..hence they need to be more economical with efficiency, procument and sourcing of suppliers etc etc..and hence the quality issues.
sadly, I must agree with all your points...it's a little disheartening.
      12-04-2012, 10:54 PM   #43
webdither
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Garage List
Just checked my seat base hinge and it's very rusted as well

August / Sept German Build
      12-05-2012, 05:25 AM   #44
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

hmm i checked my seat hinge and it looks fine. august build, though i've only had the car a week.

anyone have a rusted one that they just bought?
Appreciate 0