F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Running winter tires into early spring
proTUNING Freaks

03-14-2016, 12:23 AM   #1
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Running winter tires into early spring

I was wondering if there are any significant downfalls to leaving winter tires on a bit longer than I typically would. Are they just going to get softer and wear a bit faster, or is there anything more serious I should be considering?

The thing is I put winter tires on my stock wheels, and my plan is to get new wheels for a new set of summer tires. But between other bills, finding a decent set of wheels that are not 8 grand and also not too heavy, AND hoping that what I find has an offset option that will work with the F30, I can see this taking another month or 2 easy. Also considering how quickly it's warming up around here, the clock is against me.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 09:13 AM   #2
PappyVR4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

They'll just wear more quickly and may be a bit louder. Other than that, you're fine. There are lots of cars in Germany which have winter tires on all year round because they're required in the winter and they just don't feel like taking them off for the rest of the year.

Of course, you also miss out on the performance of summer tires. But no, you won't have any serious problems.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 01:43 PM   #3
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
More noise, faster wear, crappier performance...those are pretty much the only implications of running the winters as Pappy VR4 has stated.

In my previous car, I did a 600mile road trip in the spring on winters because I was too lazy to swap the summers back onto my stock rims (I had swapped the winter tires onto the stock rims like you did as well). I ended up buying another set of wheels like you are planning to do.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 01:57 PM   #4
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

ok cool, I can deal with that. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 02:45 AM   #5
BXL4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30toF30 View Post
More noise, faster wear, crappier performance...those are pretty much the only implications of running the winters as Pappy VR4 has stated.

In my previous car, I did a 600mile road trip in the spring on winters because I was too lazy to swap the summers back onto my stock rims (I had swapped the winter tires onto the stock rims like you did as well). I ended up buying another set of wheels like you are planning to do.
I saw a YouTube video from Engineering Explained that showed some serious braking distance penalties for winter tires on dry pavement, even in cooler weather. It will make me more diligent about swapping out the winters as soon as the threat of snow is gone. Like about now.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 07:35 AM   #6
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI View Post
I was wondering if there are any significant downfalls to leaving winter tires on a bit longer than I typically would. Are they just going to get softer and wear a bit faster, or is there anything more serious I should be considering?

The thing is I put winter tires on my stock wheels, and my plan is to get new wheels for a new set of summer tires. But between other bills, finding a decent set of wheels that are not 8 grand and also not too heavy, AND hoping that what I find has an offset option that will work with the F30, I can see this taking another month or 2 easy. Also considering how quickly it's warming up around here, the clock is against me.
Check out APEX wheels. Very high quality wheels that are also very light and inexpensive. They have direct fitment sizes for the F30 on most, if not all the wheels they make. They'll even ship wheels with new tires mounted and balanced.

Snow tires won't hurt (too bad) you in the warmer months, but if you're planning on spending the money on a Summer setup, why not maximize their use? (And reduce excess wear on Winters)

I run WS80's in the winter and PS4S in the summer, I can't wait for these weekly Nor'easters to be over so I can have my performance back.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 0