F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Warrantied Power Boosters?
GetBMWParts

05-20-2015, 06:59 PM   #1
rajahfl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 GC

Warrantied Power Boosters?

Hi,

I am leasing a 2014 335i with MPPK and MPE. I am looking into boosting the power of my car, while at the same maintaining the factory BMW warranty.

Can people suggest ways I can add power to my car without voiding the factory BMW warranty?

I am currently considering the Dinantronics stage 1 and stage 2 software upgrades. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 10:08 AM   #2
s2k750
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

The Dinan is the only option. Something to consider that effected my decision is how long are you keeping the car? I bought my car with 500 miles on it cpo, so I'm covered for 5/75k. The Dinan warranty is good for only 4/50. I'll have 75k on my car in less than 3-4 years and it seems like most problems start happening after 50k.

I ended up doing the BMS stage 1 tune since it doesn't require any modifying at all. I'll remove it for warranty and maintenance. If i have any major problems theres a code reader/clearer that deletes something called "tuner codes." One of the techs that works at my dealer says they only dig that far if the motor is blown. For the things that usually go bad; turbo, fuel pump, injectors they don't care since its not very expensive.

I hope this helps, I spent a month going back and forth trying to make a decision. I finally bought the tune a week ago and while its not a rocketship now... Its PEEEERFECT for a street car now!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 10:25 PM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Any tune will void the warranty, even Dinan.
What Dinan offers is their own warranty ( you need to read their terms and condition to see when it applies).
That being said Stage 1 tunes add 3-4 psi boost, it has been proven to be very safe.
Just grab a JB stage 1 and uninstall before your dealer visit

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2015, 11:50 AM   #4
Fast400
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
Actually, here in Europe, the AC Schnitzer tune does not void the warranty. They work closely with BMW
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2015, 12:24 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast400 View Post
Actually, here in Europe, the AC Schnitzer tune does not void the warranty. They work closely with BMW
Not sure if this is similar to Dinan in the US.
BMW dealers are friendly when it comes to Dinan products and they do not give you a hard time. But trust me if anything fails they will not replace it under BMW warranty, they will ask you to go to Dinan.

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 12:46 PM   #6
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Not sure if this is similar to Dinan in the US.
BMW dealers are friendly when it comes to Dinan products and they do not give you a hard time. But trust me if anything fails they will not replace it under BMW warranty, they will ask you to go to Dinan.
They will not ask the customer to go to Dinan. The dealer will reach out to Dinan if a warranty claim is denied by BMW NA and Dinan will pay for the repair. The customer does not need to do anything. For the end-user its simply a matter of getting a fixed car if something goes wrong. All the paperwork and bureaucratic BS is done behind the scenes between BMW NA, the dealer, and Dinan.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2015, 12:52 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
They will not ask the customer to go to Dinan. The dealer will reach out to Dinan if a warranty claim is denied by BMW NA and Dinan will pay for the repair. The customer does not need to do anything. For the end-user its simply a matter of getting a fixed car if something goes wrong. All the paperwork and bureaucratic BS is done behind the scenes between BMW NA, the dealer, and Dinan.
Thank you for the clarification. what i was trying to say is that the dealer is friendly with Dinan mods but that does not mean they will cover the repairs under BMW warranty if anything goes wrong ( Here is where Dinan warranty would come into play )
I was asking if this is the same in Germany with AC Schnitzer

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 12:05 PM   #8
Fast400
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Thank you for the clarification. what i was trying to say is that the dealer is friendly with Dinan mods but that does not mean they will cover the repairs under BMW warranty if anything goes wrong ( Here is where Dinan warranty would come into play )
I was asking if this is the same in Germany with AC Schnitzer
I believe it's very similar. If claim is ACS related, I'm sure BMW calls them to re-claim cost.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2015, 04:23 AM   #9
rajahfl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 GC

Thanks everyone for your responses

Since the car is a lease, I'm not positive yet how long I'll want to keep the car. It really depends on how I feel after I boost the hp/torque.

Hopefully, in a few days I'm going to have a Dinan Stage 1 upgrade installed. Once it gets installed, I'll see how the car feels. If its a noticeable difference and the kind of power I'm hoping for, then I'll probably keep the car and go to Stage 2. I'm curious, does anyone know if Dinan is developing a Stage 3 for the F30 335i?

I'm dumb/fortunate enough to be able to spend money for at least the satisfaction of having a more powerful car (Stage 1) for the duration of the lease while also enjoying the peace of mind of the BMW/Dinan warranties.
Appreciate 0