F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW, VW, Chargepoint to create EV charging corridors on US coasts
GetBMWParts

01-22-2015, 11:46 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BMW, VW, Chargepoint to create EV charging corridors on US coasts

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW, VW, Chargepoint to create EV charging corridors on US coasts
COMMENTS
Name:  NC-NY-11054-080.jpg
Views: 3497
Size:  225.7 KB

BMW, Volkswagen and ChargePoint Announce Initiative to Create Electric Vehicle Express Charging Corridors on the East and West Coasts
  • A goal of nearly 100 DC Fast chargers will be installed to support long distance and metropolitan electric vehicle travel with the BMW i3, Volkswagen e-Golf and other electric cars, along heavily trafficked corridors on both coasts, supported by Level 2 chargers.
  • These publicly available charging stations will be added to the existing ChargePoint network and can be easily accessed using a ChargePoint® or ChargeNow card.

Washington, D.C. - January 22, 2015... At the 2015 Washington Auto Show, two of the top automakers, BMW of North America and Volkswagen of America, together with ChargePoint, the largest electric vehicle charging network, announced an initiative to create express charging corridors along heavily-traveled routes on the East and West Coasts. Designed to increase the number of fast charging locations, the initiative will help meet the large and growing demand for convenient, publicly available electric vehicle fast chargers, including direct current (DC) Fast charging locations, and support the adoption of electric vehicles in the United States. In the initial phase, the aim is to install nearly 100 DC Fast chargers across both coasts, with plans to expand the program to increase access to fast charging across the country. These newly installed DC Fast charging stations will be added to the growing ChargePoint network of more than 20,000 charging spots in North America.

With more than 280,000 electric vehicles sold in the United States, EV owners need more charging flexibility while on the go. The express charging corridors will provide electric vehicle drivers access to DC Fast chargers along the most heavily populated and highly-trafficked regions on Interstate 95 on the east coast, from Boston to Washington, D.C., and on the west coast covering and connecting the metropolitan areas of Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego. The installations will occur both within and between relevant metro areas, strategically-spaced at a maximum of 50 miles apart, making it even easier to take long road trips in an EV.

“A robust network of conveniently located DC Fast charging stations will go a long way toward increasing electric vehicle adoption and making electric vehicle ownership even more enjoyable,” said Robert Healey, Head of EV Infrastructure at BMW of North America. “The express charging corridors are another important step in the development of the U.S. e-mobility infrastructure that makes longer distance travel a real option for consumers, particularly along the most heavily trafficked portions of both coasts—making the BMW i3 and other electric vehicles even more appealing.”

“Volkswagen believes in a holistic approach to e-mobility in order to create a seamless experience for the consumer,” said Jörg Sommer, vice president, product marketing and strategy, Volkswagen of America. “The investment in the express charging corridor will provide e-Golf and other electric vehicle owners with the added support to travel their day-to-day and popular long distance routes.”

Each fast charging location along the express charging corridors is expected to include up to two 50 kW DC Fast chargers, or 24 kW DC Combo Fast chargers with the SAE Combo connector, used in both BMW and Volkswagen electric vehicles as well as many other electric vehicles that incorporate a DC Fast Charging capability. When charging at a 50 kW station, both the BMW i3 and the Volkswagen e-Golf can charge up to 80 percent in 20 minutes. Both vehicles can charge up to 80 percent in 30 minutes at a 24 kW station. Locations will also include Level 2 chargers, currently the most commonly available public charging stations, which are compatible with all electric vehicles. Level 2 stations can dispense up to 25 miles of range per hour of charging, providing a full charge for the BMW i3 and the VW e-Golf within 3.5 to 4 hours.

The DC Fast charging stations will be part of the ChargePoint network and can be easily accessed with a ChargePoint or ChargeNow card or with the ChargePoint mobile app.

“Our goal at ChargePoint is to get everyone behind the wheel of an EV and provide EV charging everywhere they go,” said Pasquale Romano, ChargePoint CEO. “With strategically-placed stations where drivers need them, these express charging corridors will give EV drivers the freedom to go farther and have an EV as their only car without limitation.”

Installations have already begun on the west coast, with the first location in San Diego County. There is a target of nearly 100 DC Fast charging spots in the first phase, available by the end of 2015. DC Fast chargers along the express charging corridors are expected to be installed in convenient locations such restaurants, shopping centers, rest stops, and more. ChargePoint will leverage its existing customer base and knowledge on usage to pick strategic locations either where drivers currently charge, or to fill in spaces where there is currently a lack of infrastructure.

With the investment, BMW, Volkswagen and ChargePoint are providing drivers with the ability and confidence to enjoy longer distance driving and recharge their electric vehicles quickly, ultimately leading to greater electric vehicle adoption.

Name:  Wash_Auto_Show_Infographic.300dpi.jpg
Views: 3573
Size:  562.4 KB

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 07:38 AM   #2
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

The time is now.

Bring them and then BMW might sell lots of i-cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 07:56 AM   #3
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

As usual the Gulf Coast gets skipped. There is a strong bicoastal mentality in the US with the rest of the place regarded as fly over country. None the less, a needed service.
      01-23-2015, 08:40 AM   #4
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
How do you pay for the change? How does the pricing work?

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 10:10 AM   #5
Mahzari
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennu View Post
I don't see why it would be any different than paying for gas? Either pay for the time you use or the amount of kW you have extracted.

Here is an article on how different companies allow customers to pay. Of course, there is also the Tesla Supercharging route that uses solar panels to generate electricity and doles it out for free.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 10:44 AM   #6
mpbruin108
Mpbruin108
Rep
Drives: I'm a hypermiler

Coming from an ex tesla owner, getting 80% charge in 20 mins is fine and dandy but when your range is just 100 electric miles or so, that isn't going to get you anywhere far (like across the country) and it will always be a local car. San Diego to Portland is roughly 1080 miles. Divide that by 100 miles per charge (and that is if there aren't hills or A/C or whatever that can deplete the battery faster) and you will stop at least 11 times. I can't even imagine what it would be like to attempt to take this car across the country (when and if it becomes available) in their "network" of chargers. I used Blink and Chargepoint while I had the Tesla and it would be so slow. I know these will be faster by a little bit but still not good enough for anything meaningful especially in Cali where everything is far from each other. Work on increasing the range and spend less focus on chargers (but still some focus). Ideal would be over 400 miles per charge (like the Tesla Roadster updates) and you have a winner. I would think a smarter route would to incorporate Tesla's charging technology that they released to the public and make your car be able to accept their charging stations and maybe you can use their network too...and it would be free for the charge vs the costs of Blink and Chargepoint.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 12:36 PM   #7
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Yep, I am in Austin, TX. Screw me. It sure would be nice not to be ignored down here.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 02:44 PM   #8
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Wow that VW Golf looks archaic next to the i3.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2015, 07:48 AM   #9
cartaa100
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i, 640i, X6M50d, X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbruin108 View Post
Coming from an ex tesla owner, getting 80% charge in 20 mins is fine and dandy but when your range is just 100 electric miles or so, that isn't going to get you anywhere far (like across the country) and it will always be a local car. San Diego to Portland is roughly 1080 miles. Divide that by 100 miles per charge (and that is if there aren't hills or A/C or whatever that can deplete the battery faster) and you will stop at least 11 times. I can't even imagine what it would be like to attempt to take this car across the country (when and if it becomes available) in their "network" of chargers. I used Blink and Chargepoint while I had the Tesla and it would be so slow. I know these will be faster by a little bit but still not good enough for anything meaningful especially in Cali where everything is far from each other. Work on increasing the range and spend less focus on chargers (but still some focus). Ideal would be over 400 miles per charge (like the Tesla Roadster updates) and you have a winner. I would think a smarter route would to incorporate Tesla's charging technology that they released to the public and make your car be able to accept their charging stations and maybe you can use their network too...and it would be free for the charge vs the costs of Blink and Chargepoint.

Completely agree with you, having to stop every 70-80miles would be a pain in the a**!!

Nice garage you have there i might add!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 08:48 AM   #10
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartaa100
Quote:

Completely agree with you, having to stop every 70-80miles would be a pain in the a**!!

Nice garage you have there i might add!
It's not a pain in the ass. You'll do and see things you've never taken or had time for before. No way I'd give up my BEV.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 09:39 AM   #11
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahzari View Post
I don't see why it would be any different than paying for gas? Either pay for the time you use or the amount of kW you have extracted.

Here is an article on how different companies allow customers to pay. Of course, there is also the Tesla Supercharging route that uses solar panels to generate electricity and doles it out for free.
Oh wow that was a really good article. Thanks for sharing

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 10:07 AM   #12
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennu View Post
Normally, since the electric cost is negligible most places let you charge for free. Garages sometimes will charge you for a space, but never for the power.

Beam (a company like chargepoint) charges a dollar or two an hour for the plug.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 10:08 AM   #13
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:

Totally get that. And if I could charge my car on a Tesla plug I would. But Tesla stands in defiance against the SAE standard plug because its bulky, so I cant. I just did a 2700 mile trip in my 135. Wouldnt dream of doing that in my i3 (or a Tesla if I had one) because I drove to several areas without charger support.

The two car system isnt terrible.

Appreciate 1
      01-24-2015, 10:56 AM   #14
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

This again shows me that Musk would sell so many more cars if he would just have an option of an on-board generator that would allow the driver to perhaps extend the range to >500 miles before topping up a small tank of diesel/petrol and charging the car fully. I mean does he only give a damn about the coasts? What about those of us in the mid-west? Do I really want to drive from the KC area to Dallas and then have to stop for an hour 2/3rds of the way to re-charge the car? Its crazy not to acknowledge that many potential owners are forced to adopt differing driving conditions than our coastal 'cousins'.
Bish
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 12:07 PM   #15
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Unless they've changed things, the Tesla Superchargers are only 'free' if you bought the bigger battery, otherwise, you DO pay for the charge. If I remember correctly, to get it 'free', costs about $2700 for the life of the car on the 60Kw battery, included in the 85Kw option. That money will buy a lot of Kw's.

Getting a quick charge at places like a mall or restaurant would be nice.

FWIW, one of the changes in the s/w you get with the new KLE is that it unlocks the connector once the car is fully charged. I'm not sure if I like that or not, but it would be useful if you were waiting for someone to come back so you could plug in and they took an hour or more after theirs was fully recharged!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 02:51 PM   #16
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
The Teslas, for all their virtues, are two and a half ton monsters that take eight hours to charge.

Giving them range extender engines would increase the weight so much that they would be as heavy as an Escalade.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 05:05 PM   #17
mpbruin108
Mpbruin108
Rep
Drives: I'm a hypermiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Totally get that. And if I could charge my car on a Tesla plug I would. But Tesla stands in defiance against the SAE standard plug because its bulky, so I cant. I just did a 2700 mile trip in my 135. Wouldnt dream of doing that in my i3 (or a Tesla if I had one) because I drove to several areas without charger support.

The two car system isnt terrible.
+1 on the 2 car system
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 07:34 AM   #18
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
To sell gasoline by the gallon, the vendor must get the pumps checked by an agent from the "division of weights and measures" or the local equivalent. To sell electricity by the kWh from a charger, you would need a Watt-Hour meter in the charger, and a way for the "division of weights and measures" to check the calibration of the Watt-Hour meter. I don't know of any "division of weights and measures" that can do this power check, so the charger companies sell by the time that you are charging. Depending on the size of the charger in your EV it might be a good deal or not.